TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Norway number 2 for Model S sales after USA

Discussion in 'News' started by Cobos, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

Supposedly Norway has the second largest number of Model S reservations after the USA. The article says in Norwegian that Norway has just north of 100 Model S reservations and the Sig#1 for Europe as well.

This is in many ways pretty impressive as we have about 5 mill inhabitants and a good year for car sales like last year had 120k cars sold in total. Speaking of last year total EV sales for 2010 was 680 cars including 16 Roadsters.

Cobos

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

With all the recent praise over how well Tesla's traction control works in snow and ice, there may be some smart shoppers there.

I guess they aren't counting that 1000 whopper order from NLE/Iceland?

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/09/19/driving-sustainability-the-plan-to-make-iceland-nation-full-of/
    Apparently they are buying 1000s of other types of EVs too:
    http://green.autoblog.com/2010/11/29/icelands-northern-lights-energy-places-order-for-1-000-amp-elec/

3. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

There is a Roadster driving around in NARVIK ??

Must be one of the north-most Roadsters.

btw. What about a Competition-Thred to find the south- and noth-most Roadster?

4. Cobos

It says in the article that the one in Narvik, is the northernmost Roadster. Good traction controle I guess :)

Cobos

5. PaulM

PaulM Member

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yes, that point wasn't missed and has been mentioned a few places, including here:
    http://www.teslamotors.com/about/press/releases/tesla-exceeds-1500-roadster-deliveries-worldwide
    (It seems they say RoadsterS as in plural...)

7. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

I believe there are three in Narvik

8. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

Maybe they use them as hunting sledge?? ;)

9. Aurvandil

Aurvandil P85

Factoid: Tesla was the third best-selling sports car in Norway in 2010, after the BMW Z3 and Audi TT, but ahead of the Mazda MX-5 Miata.

10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

11. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

With a population of only 5 million, Norway is easily #1 in Model S reservatons per capita.

12. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Could this phenomenon be attributed to the high cost of fuel? It seems that they would rather pay for electricity instead of gas.

13. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

They have huge taxes on the purchase price of gas guzzlers. Moreso than just about anywhere else in Europe. I'm sure the locals can elaborate.

14. Cobos

Our fuel is "relatively" cheap. Currently at about $8,25 / gallon in our capitol.
    Using my new metric of gallons of gas per purchase price you get 19979 gallons of 95 oktane gas for the purchase price of a basic BMW 535i in Norway.
    Using $3.50/gallon (midgrade) I get 14314 gallons for the BMW 535i
    Using the 550xi as an example you pay 31756 gallons for that in Norway and 17857 gallons in the US. The US car prices are without taxes so you can add some gallons.
    Our electricity is probably Europe's lowest but it's mostly in the HOV usage and and purchase price you find the biggest advantages. A very modest VW Polo has about the same price here in total over 5 years as the MiEV f.inst. And those living west of Oslo has about 20miles of highway with a HOV lane all the way through saving those in electric cars about 40-60 mins every day each way. Which is why two affluent small counties west of Oslo has as many electric cars as Oslo itself :)

Cobos

15. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yes, saw that!
    So now we know it isn't a random coincidence that 3 Roadsters ended up in that far north city!