Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Norway Studies How EVs Will Affect Power Grid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
Without smart charging during low-demand periods (mostly at night), the power grid will need some upgrades, paid for by consumers.Expansion of electric cars in Norway is expected to cause a necessity to upgrade the power grid, which could cost 11 billion NOK ($1.27 billion) by 2040. The reason for that is twofold – first, the...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/06/10/norway-evs-will-affect-power-gridnorway-studies-how-evs-will-affect-power-grid/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

"The study by Norway’s power regulator with DNV GL, state-appointed consultancy Poyry, reveals that there is a way to limit or eliminate the need of costly upgrades if consumers would schedule charging when demand is low."

That seems obvious. As does establishing rate plans with preferential rates for EV owners in off peak hours. All plug-ins I am familiar with have the ability to start charging at a preset time. My volt would even figure out how to be fully charged at the lowest possible cost by the time I needed to leave in the morning.

This seems like a non-issue.

"The study by Norway’s power regulator with DNV GL, state-appointed consultancy Poyry, reveals that there is a way to limit or eliminate the need of costly upgrades if consumers would schedule charging when demand is low."

That seems obvious. As does establishing rate plans with preferential rates for EV owners in off peak hours. All plug-ins I am familiar with have the ability to start charging at a preset time. My volt would even figure out how to be fully charged at the lowest possible cost by the time I needed to leave in the morning.

Problem is at winter when temperature is low charging will be detrimental for battery life. It is better to charge right after parking vehicle. During summer when energy is low regardless it is a non-issue.

The 'costly upgrades' works out to ~ $1.25 a month extra on the household utility bill before financing costs are considered ... if the entire country is adamant about charging at the same time. And that grid upgrade then covers increased load for other times of the day too.

I agree --- this seems like it will be a non issue to a Norwegian who is paying ~ $8 gallon for petrol.

It is important to note that these findings are highly dependent on the region. Here in Southern California, the power company just switched their off peak time from night to 8 am to 12 pm. Why? Because that's when they get so much solar power. Solar power in regions where there is lots of sunshine will become the main driver for on-peak time.

Do not believe much coming from Norway, as long it is related to our rotten, corrupted politicians and the power lobby they are in bed with.
The Norwegian politicians ordered a huge network to export power to Europe, that is forced on people as a part of the "power net lease tax". People have to pay for it many years a head, as companies wanted.
Now the power companies export not only surplus, but all hydro power as soon as possible, creating an annual "crisis" , forcing prices up, then importing power, at even higher price.
The greedy government steals tax on top of that.

Next thing is to force people to pay even more, to do upgrades that are long overdue, and are supposed to be covered by the before mentioned lease, except, the power lobby wants more, because they did not tend to use those money on upgrades.

• Helpful
Reactions: David99
On an oddly related note....

We put a Falcon and a Rabbit in the same room together. What happened will not surprise you.

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 12.21.04 AM.png

Reactions: David99
In sunny places, electric vehicles would mostly need to charge at work during the daytime.

I want to make perfectly clear what that means, so I'm going to play with the fonts, in case someone is not listening:

THAT MEANS IN SUNNY PLACES, ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING INFRASTRUCTURE NEEDS TO BE BUILT IN WORK PARKING LOTS, so cars can charge during the sunlight hours when solar photovoltaic panels produce the most power.

That's because solar panels bring in the most energy during the day.

Electric vehicles are a great way to sink the variable sun with random cloud cover that happens during the day as the variable HVAC (and industrial) demand also fluctuates throughout the day. That would mean the EV chargers need to be hooked into the grid variable systems (aka "Smart Grid").

Last edited:
Reactions: nwdiver
In sunny places, electric vehicles would mostly need to charge at work during the daytime.

I want to make perfectly clear what that means, so I'm going to play with the fonts, in case someone is not listening:

THAT MEANS IN SUNNY PLACES, ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING INFRASTRUCTURE NEEDS TO BE BUILT IN WORK PARKING LOTS.

That's because solar panels bring in the most energy during the day.

Electric vehicles are a great way to sink the variable sun with random cloud cover that happens during the day as the variable HVAC (and industrial) demand also fluctuates throughout the day. That would mean the EV chargers need to be hooked into the grid variable systems (aka "Smart Grid").

Hopefully more businesses take note. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Even just 12A @ 208v (~2.5kW) available to most spaces would be sufficient. Once the trunk line is run able to provide ~200A the cost per space would be lower than the cost of asphalt.

Reactions: SageBrush