TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Norway - Wow

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MrPinrel, May 23, 2014.

1. MrPinrel

MrPinrel Member

Just coming back to the US from Norway on a business trip. Maybe those who live in California are more used to it, but I was shocked at the number of Teslas I ran into, especially in Oslo. On the taxi from Oslo airport to the city, about 30 miles, I saw about 20 different Teslas. In my day and a half in the country I probably saw 30 or 35.

I already knew that Norway is Teslas second largest market in large part because of the subsidies, but it was impressive nevertheless.

Let's hope some other countries start catching up. Go Tesla!

2. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Even in SoCal I don't think you would see more than half a dozen Model S on any given day, unless you stopped at a Supercharger. Good work, Norway!

3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

In the ritzy part of San Diego, you might see 6 a day, so Norway's got us beat!

4. Pollux

Pollux Member

Forgive me, please, as I bet this has been discussed elsewhere, although I haven't found it. Just what *are* the Norwegian subsidies?

I'm under the impression that the "subsidies" are actually foregone taxes -- e.g., forgiveness of taxes usually charged on imported vehicles.

Can anyone list the incentives (whether an actual subsidy, a foregone tax, or something else) and the amounts?

Thanks,
    Alan

5. Bearman

Bearman Member

Here it what it says on Teslas norwegian page about incentives: http://www.teslamotors.com/no_NO/incentives/NO

Might have to right click links and open in new tab to see the details.

Screenshot_2.jpg

6. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

7. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Rookie mistake :)

There are 8 trains per hour from the airport to the city centre, those trains take from 19 to 23 minutes. The taxi takes twice that time and costs 3-5 times as much ;)

8. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Nice thread. I'm in New York now. Driving to Oslo airport yesterday (1 hour drive) I counted more than 40 S's (including mine).

From JFK to SoHo and so far today on Manhattan I've seen exactly 0 Teslas....

9. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

Yeah, I drive through Del Mar every day on the way to work. I reliably see 2-3 MS's a day, but that's about it.

10. Bulletproof

Bulletproof Vendor

Hawthorne, CA adjacent to the Supercharger & Desig
    I use to live in the Bay Area in Norcal and would see around a dozen a day. I bet seeing so many in Norway was quite the sight, such a beautiful country- perfect photo opportunity!

11. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

There's no way like Norway!

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

My wife and I are making our first ever trip to Norway in three weeks. We will be there for 15 days. We are looking forward to seeing a lot of Model S 's! I have to remember to pack my Tesla T-shirt :)

We live in the SF Bay Area and I see multiple Teslas every day (literally) but it will be fun to spot them while on vacation.

13. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

A co-worker of mine is going there on vacation in a couple of weeks. I'll have to ask him to keep an eye out!

14. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

They really are everywhere. I see them pretty much every day, and I don't live in a location where they are particularly common.

It's been fascinating seeing how fast they have become prevalent.

15. MrPinrel

MrPinrel Member

yes I went back to the airport by train! much nicer but I enjoyed seeing all the Teslas!

16. EnergyMax

EnergyMax Member

I check the supercharger construction map often, looking for the connection of Norway to Europe. I'm looking forward to reading about the Norwegian invasion of Germany.

17. riegetor

riegetor Member

I live outside Trondheim, Norway and there's a lot of Teslas to see up here as well. I'm taking the family to Trondheim, Norway to test drive a Model S today and the current plan is to order one in a few months :)

18. fredag

fredag Member

Tesla Model S is the most sold car model in Norway in Q1 2014. Tesla sold more cars than Ford. Model S about as exotic here as a VW Passat or Ford Focus.

Tesla sell so many cars here that it made a dent in the trade balance statistics for the country.

I usually see around 10 other Teslas on my 15 minute commute to work. Thursday I saw something like 30. Did a three Teslas in a row with some black ones on the motorway... Always fun, but more fun when they are all pearl white like mine.

There are no subsidies for EVs here. But no taxes either.

Polluting cars are taxed, often making them cost 50%-100% more than the same car in Sweden. The polluters must pay.

- - - Updated - - -

Two superchargers are due to open next week in Middelfart and Randers in Denmark. It'll make the trip from Norway through Denmark to Germany easy.

Much easier than when I did the trip in October.

But still no superchargers in northern Germany.

Usually it's the other way around.

19. Pacmac

Pacmac New Member

Unfortunately Google Translate doesn't work that well translating the page.

The first bullet point is saying something about company cars. And when choosing an EV you get cheaper taxation.

Second one is ok, no tax and fees on vehicles and equipment bought with it.

We have a yearly fee per car, the most common one is approximately $500 for normal cars, but for EV's it's $70.

"Collective defense" should have been "Bus Lane", with EV's we can drive in the bus lane.

No road toll for EV's. (EV's also travel free on public ferry transport)

Higher deduction in tax returns for driving with EV's.

And the last one is for taxi drivers.

I hope this helps!

20. Freeride

Freeride Member

Zero CO2 tax (as Fredag stated ranging from 50-100% depending on type of vehicle).
    Zero VAT tax (additional flat 25% percent)

Without these reductions, a Model S would probably cost around appr 160 000 dollars and up

Also we have benefits related to owning a electrical car:
    Free toll road on roads, brigdes and tunnels
    Reduced ferry toll (car is free, passengers must pay. Complaints already have started here)
    All public parking in streets are free. Also some parking houses are free (complaints started in some of the major cities)
    Many parking places has free charing included (typically 230V 16Amp, not much though)
    Electric cars can drive in taxi/bus roads (at least for now, complaints have started, specially from bus drivers)

Having a electrical car in Norway gives you huge benefits. Driving a eletric luxury car also gives you a lot of looks.
    Not all of them are good looks. People react differently to you driving a electrical Model S compared to a Citroen Saxo.
    Most of the people are positive to this car, but I`ve experienced some "if looks could kill you, I would drop dead"