Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Norway - Wow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its a Tesla sandwich :-D

9u4epuzy.jpg

A normal drive home from work.
Note what's in the camera view ;-)

Actually, in purchasing-power-parity terms (i.e., an exchange rate the equalizes the costs of a typical basket of goods), Norwegian GDP per capita is only slightly higher than US GDP per capita. Still, that's something few countries can boast of. Of course, sitting on a lot of oil helps.

It is ironic that Norway goes to great lengths to encourage EV purchases and can afford to do so in part because a fifth of their economy is driven by the pumping and exporting oil.

I am certainly pleased that the Norwegian government is strongly pro-EV.

Actually, in purchasing-power-parity terms (i.e., an exchange rate the equalizes the costs of a typical basket of goods), Norwegian GDP per capita is only slightly higher than US GDP per capita. Still, that's something few countries can boast of. Of course, sitting on a lot of oil helps.
Purchasing power parity really only matters when it comes to domestic products and imported goods that are subject to import tariffs. Electric cars are, as you might know, imported and are exempt from almost all taxes.

In Norway, the median household income after taxes is about $120k for couples with one or more children aged 0-17 years. A reasonably optioned 85 kwh Model S costs $100k. Divided over 5 years, the Model S purchase will require about 17% of the of the income. (Statistically, 15% of household income in Norway is spent on transportation.)

In the US, the median household income after taxes is about $55k for families. A reasonably optioned 85 kwh Model S costs $85k. Divided over 5 years, the Model S purchase will require about 31% of the of the income. (Statistically, 10% of household income in the US is spent on transportation.)

In other words, a Model S costs almost twice as much for a regular family in the US as compared to Norway. And while a Model S would be slightly more expensive than other alternatives in Norway, in the US, a Model S would cost around three times as much as other alternatives.