Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nose-cone Wave

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

This post is targeted at the OG's out there. I recall when I first got my Model S 4 years ago, whenever I drove by another Tesla I would be greeted with an enthusiastic wave and smile from the other driver. The so called "Tesla nod".

Over the years as the number of Tesla's has increased I have found this occurrence to be less and less, but I do still try to salute the vast number of Model 3 drivers I pass.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago, and I spot a Model S approaching in oncoming traffic. As it approachs I see it is an older Model S with a nose cone like mine. Then I see the driver, who offers the same familiar smile and wave I had feared was lost. Sad - but it made my drive home.

Yesterday it happened again. Different car and driver, but Nose-cone and a warm greeting.

Not sure reasoning if it is original Tesla owners remembering the old days or a kin-ship amongst the "Nose-cone Model S" owners. Regardless I'm dubbing this the "Nose-cone Wave" or "Nose-cone Nod" !!

Extreme apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere - happy to relinquish the honours if someone posted before.

Yes, and back in the day we had open discussions of the understanding that we were living in the Good Old Days and that once Tesla really made it - our criterion correctly being that once that Inexpensive Version now known as the Model 3 was successfully introduced- camaraderie would change.

O tempora, O mores. (<====“MoreSs...& Xs & 3s”)

I also used to try to wave when I saw another Tesla, but found that only a small percentage waved back, even 4 years ago. perhaps it is the heavy traffic around here -- one is often too busy to look or wave. Model 3 drivers seem less inclined to wave than others.
Plus, I find that a large percentage of people have heavily tinted their car windows, to the point that I would not be able to see a wave even if they gave me one.
So, I find myself hardly ever waving anymore.

It was definitely a smaller community of enthusiasts back then and I used to wave every time and receive smiles and waves back in my neck of the woods. There are many, many more Teslas driving around my area now and I stopped waving after getting some ugly looks back to me. Ha... my daughter told me I look like an old man waiting for someone to return a high five and who looks sad when no one does.