TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Nosecone different between Sig & non-Sig?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Spurkey, May 7, 2013.

1. Spurkey

Spurkey P04251

I had paint protection film applied to my car after I received it, I wanted the whole hood covered as opposed to the 1/3 that Tesla was offering. The large bottom portion of the nosecone was to be covered with 2 separate pieces, leaving a visible seam (shown below). When I asked the film manufacturer about it they claimed that I'd received a set for a Signature car - the "non-Signature grille" film comes as 1 piece. This struck me as really odd, I thought the Signatures were physically identical to the regular cars? Just wanted to sort this out so that nobody else gets bitten by this.

Wrap2-lift.jpg

2. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Some earlier cars have a two-piece nose cone (mine, for instance), but I'm not sure if it was a Signature vs. Production thing or just a mid-stream change at the factory.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

It's not a Sig / non-Sig thing... except that all the US Sigs seem to have the old nose cone. The Canadian Sigs do not, so it changed somewhere in between, i.e. early US production.

4. Spurkey

Spurkey P04251

5. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I had XPEL installed first week of march and at that time XPEL only had a template for the "sig" nose cone but not the newer nose cone. (They do now though as of a few weeks ago up on their site ). So instead my installer chucked the sig cutout and used bulk film instead to fully wrap the new nose cone. Your installer should have done this instead of leaving a line right across the middle like that. I would complain and have them fix it for free.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

7. Spurkey

Spurkey P04251

It's better than that - my installer charged me an extra 2 hours of 'custom cutting' to make the nose film fit (it was also a slightly different shape supposedly) on top of the film install charge. I was not particularly happy about that...

8. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

wow. that's just horrible customer service to charge you extra for a shabby job like that.