TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

nostradamusK

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, Jun 30, 2017.

1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

I have no doubt that many of you have heard of, or even read Elon's secret master plan. I was researching refinery energy usage statistics and ended up on that page. I re-read it and am still astonished how accurately he was able to formulate and execute such an ambitious plan over the course of more than a decade. The only inaccuracies that I noted was his estimated price of the Model S (he estimated "roughly half the $89k price point of the Tesla Roadster", which was a bit low) and the MX did not appear to be in the original plan at all.

Anyway, if you have not read it, it is worth a read:
    The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me)

2. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

Over the last 20 years SUVs and now other vehicles similar to them have been a growing segment of the US market. Toyota announced a few weeks ago they are planning on eliminating some sedans from their lineup because they just aren't selling anymore. The push for SUVs, CUVs, and the like is so big pure sports car makers have had to get into the game. I believe the Posche Macan and Cayenne are their best selling cars. 20 years ago it would have been unheard of for Porsche to even consider anything but a 2 door roadster type car, but those aren't even their best sellers today.

When the Model S came out, it was a big splash, but they foresaw the sedan market drying up and knew they needed some kind of SUV/CUV type car and it looks like sales of the Model X will surpass the Model S soon if they haven't already.

I know a lot of people who are interested in the Model 3, but they really have their sights set on the Model Y and hope it isn't too weird.

3. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

The roadster price ended up higher than expected at $109,000

Base price of Model S was $57,400 ($49,900 after federal tax credits). The marginal cost of producing a Model S according to Elon as conveyed by Tom Mueller is about $30,000