Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not a day goes by...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a day goes by that when driving my Tesla Model S I don't get either thumbs up driving down the road, people stopping me when I park and ask about the car, others taking pictures going down the road, heck a Nissan Leaf owner followed me till I parked and jumped out and started a conversation. Now granted I live in West Texas where Model S/Xs are rare, however I have never had so much attention of any of the other cars I have ever owned!

It's a lot of fun to chat with others that don't know about Tesla Motors. List your experiences with your Tesla getting attention Model!

Just a question for you... I live in central Texas on a small town, and just put down a deposit on a CPO P85. What kind of response do you give when people start asking how much your car cost and how you afford to pay for it? I haven't even received my car yet, but as soon as people hear I'm shopping for one the comments about being rich or "you know you can buy a better car for a quarter of the price" start piling up.

You have not seen Tesla's first? The Roadster.
image.jpeg

Just a question for you... I live in central Texas on a small town, and just put down a deposit on a CPO P85. What kind of response do you give when people start asking how much your car cost and how you afford to pay for it? I haven't even received my car yet, but as soon as people hear I'm shopping for one the comments about being rich or "you know you can buy a better car for a quarter of the price" start piling up.
About the cost, I used to tell 'em that it cost me 30 years of working and saving, but now I just don't give a crap what they think. Maybe that'll change again in the indeterminate future. And then I redirect the conversation to the Model 3.

As to the other crack, I tell people I can get a cheaper POS for less money, but not a better car. YMMV.

c

About the cost, I used to tell 'em that it cost me 30 years of working and saving, but now I just don't give a crap what they think. Maybe that'll change again in the indeterminate future. And then I redirect the conversation to the Model 3.

As to the other crack, I tell people I can get a cheaper POS for less money, but not a better car. YMMV.

c
GREAT answeres .. kinda like NOYB, and If ya haft a ask,ya can't afford it.

• Love
Reactions: Zroiron
My traditional answer was that they could look it up on the web. This was good for the first year or two. More recently I say that I paid a lot to promote electric cars and bring the future closer for everyone. Fossil fuels will eventually run out and I want to leave some in the ground for my future great,great,great grandchildren. Plastics and lubricants are much more important for them than gasoline for us.

I tend to leave out the global warming concerns as these are just as valuable as concerns.

What kind of response do you give when people start asking how much your car cost and how you afford to pay for it?

In the two plus years I have owned mine, I have had people ask me how much my car costs but I've never been asked how I can afford it. I doubt anyone will ask you that rude question but if they do, just raise your eyebrows and change the subject. That will say it all.

On the cost issue, I say it's comparable to other vehicles in its class but outperforms all of them from 0-60, plus you save on gas and oil changes, and is more like an iPad on wheels, rather than a car, making it really fun to drive. I tell them the prices are online and depend on the options, and there's no dealers, and no negotiating, which made buying it a pleasure to buy, rather than a chore like all other vehicles I have bought. Plus, I sometimes throw in a joke such as: it's also fund to spend your children's inheritance, while telling them you are doing so for their own good, since you are concerned about their future and are trying to accelerate the transition to EV's.

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: Johan and Zroiron
P90DL... The first clue I had about how much people were going to bug out on this car came in the first hour of owning it, when a toll plaza operator, helping me cope with a non-working EZ-Pass (lol Tesla windshield that needs it to be in exactly the right spot for it to work) held up a line of cars behind me while asking questions about the car. How fast does it go? Will the battery wear out? Lol

• Funny
Reactions: Zroiron
This might offend many, however, you could say, "if you will forgive me for not responding, I will forgive you for asking" (sarcasm)

How about just responding - "It's my personal choice" and leave it at that. Arguing just raises blood pressure, but if they want to talk about a better car for quarter the price, say a BMW 3 series for instance, ask them what they think of a 7 series and whether BMW should bother to produce that one. If they're talking about a Toyota Prius, well...tell them THEY can get a better car by buying a Yaris because it's cheaper.

image.jpeg

Beautiful Roaster! I want one! Of course I want one of everything Tesla makes! Like Canuck I've never been asked how do I afford it, but how much are they is a regular question. I tell them the truth, I bought it off eBay for a great price. My car was on a pure auction and I got a great deal. I expected it to go up another 5-8k but I won with a low bid. I was thrilled of course.

I agree with my Canadian friend above: why on earth would the two questions: how much does the cost AND how are you able to afford it? be siamese twins? Typical Americans: "I don't only care about what the car costs or and if I can afford it" but also "most of all I want to know how you were able to biy it before me!".

View attachment 181448
Beautiful Roaster! I want one! Of course I want one of everything Tesla makes! Like Canuck I've never been asked how do I afford it, but how much are they is a regular question. I tell them the truth, I bought it off eBay for a great price. My car was on a pure auction and I got a great deal. I expected it to go up another 5-8k but I won with a low bid. I was thrilled of course.
When I lived in Liberal KS, I drove down to Lubbock to buy my Porsche. Those long, straight open roads were a delight to stretch its legs. I am imagining having a MS - performance out there. Sweet!!! Sweet memories.

Out there, ranchers and oilmen with muddy boots and sunburned necks can be millionaires. How can you afford it? Just point to a local pump jack and say - maybe that one, or maybe that one...

• Funny
Reactions: Johan