Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not a day goes by...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About the cost, I used to tell 'em that it cost me 30 years of working and saving, but now I just don't give a crap what they think. Maybe that'll change again in the indeterminate future. And then I redirect the conversation to the Model 3.

As to the other crack, I tell people I can get a cheaper POS for less money, but not a better car. YMMV.

c
Just a question for you... I live in central Texas on a small town, and just put down a deposit on a CPO P85. What kind of response do you give when people start asking how much your car cost and how you afford to pay for it? I haven't even received my car yet, but as soon as people hear I'm shopping for one the comments about being rich or "you know you can buy a better car for a quarter of the price" start piling up.

How about you reply with "more than I was planning to spend, but worth every penny" :)

Reactions: fallen888
How about you reply with "more than I was planning to spend, but worth every penny" :)
depending on how I feel at the time, this variation: "more than I wanted, less than it's worth". Of course, that can fall on deaf ears for many (most?) people who would ask the question in the first place. I was asked this most recently by the proud owner of a Ford F250 and though he didn't react, I could sense that he thought I was out-and-out nuts. Fortunately he was polite enough not to say so out loud.

Takes all kinds to make a world.... otherwise it'd be real boring.

Just a question for you... I live in central Texas on a small town, and just put down a deposit on a CPO P85. What kind of response do you give when people start asking how much your car cost and how you afford to pay for it? I haven't even received my car yet, but as soon as people hear I'm shopping for one the comments about being rich or "you know you can buy a better car for a quarter of the price" start piling up.
Sounds like you have rude friends.
I'd tell them politely that it's none of their business.
You can tell them that it is very economical to operate.
We also tell people that's we are doing it to save the environment for our granddaughter and that it is worth every penny of investment (along with our solar panels).

Several times during the week I find myself explaining to those truly interested in the Model S, that these cars are affordable. Most people comment that it is a $100K car but have never considered that there are hundreds of CPO, eBay auctions, Craigslist and others listed as good used cars.

I purchased a 2013 S85 CPO last March and only after researching the market for the best price and warranty within my budget. I think that most people purchase cars the same way. I tell them to spend some serious time at TESLA.com and get the facts.

I tell them to read posts on this forum and others and get "educated" about what EVs are all about. Most people just don't have a clue or have the wrong information. People at local car shows have very little knowledge about Tesla. I tell them to watch the YouTube videos on Tesla and the "How It's Made" series.

Not a day goes by that I don't have these thoughts run through my mind as I sit at the traffic light surrounded by a world of ICE vehicles. Wake people before its too late.

Several times during the week I find myself explaining to those truly interested in the Model S, that these cars are affordable. Most people comment that it is a $100K car but have never considered that there are hundreds of CPO, eBay auctions, Craigslist and others listed as good used cars.

I purchased a 2013 S85 CPO last March and only after researching the market for the best price and warranty within my budget. I think that most people purchase cars the same way. I tell them to spend some serious time at TESLA.com and get the facts.

I tell them to read posts on this forum and others and get "educated" about what EVs are all about. Most people just don't have a clue or have the wrong information. People at local car shows have very little knowledge about Tesla. I tell them to watch the YouTube videos on Tesla and the "How It's Made" series.

Not a day goes by that I don't have these thoughts run through my mind as I sit at the traffic light surrounded by a world of ICE vehicles. Wake people before its too late.
Don't forget, for some people $5,000 is too much for a car. We are very lucky, but in the long run we are supporting durable, economic. high performance products that will shape a cheaper sustainable future for everyone.

I'm waiting for my MS 60 - pretty much just the base model + color upgrade and pano roof. The 20K trade in is definitely going to help with having a very reasonable monthly payment. Then you also factor in zero gas and oil expenses, owner referral discount, state rebate, and federal tax credit. All of a sudden this becomes a VERY affordable vehicle.

I feel fairly comfortable explaining this to people.

I've had my white Roadster for about a year and a half. It does get a lot of attention, and it's almost entirely positive. Some people have no idea what it is, and others are excited to see a Tesla, but almost everybody seems to love it.

When I borrowed a Model S for a week and a half, it was a more stealthy car, not noticed by as many people. A few of the people who did notice it, however, were a bit aggressive. When I was picking up the car, some guy blew diesel smoke from his truck at me. A couple of others seemed like they wanted to race me.

The only negatives that have ever come up in conversation about my Roadster were just in the last couple of weeks. "Oh Tesla, those are the cars that had all the crashes!" And, "Yours isn't one with the Autopilot? I bet they aren't going to make any more of those, haha!"

I never understood people getting jealous, bitter, resentful of someone else's nice things. I see someone has a better car, house, etc. than I have and I'm happy for them.

I hope when my MS comes next month I get nothing but positive feedback and inquiries.