Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not a fan of recent software changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two main gripes with the two most recent updates:

1. My dashcam has been broken since the Dec 2020 update. I constantly see the “USB malfunction” error message. Rebooting the center display causes this error to clear for the remainder of the drive, but it returns the next day.

2. The driving visualization now takes up way too much of the screen space. Tesla needs to make this user adjustable, similar to how a program’s UI can be resized on a computer screen.

Which ones are you referring to? Some of those driving visualizations have been readjusted.

Is the visualization/map split back to pre Christmas release? If so which version.
I remember seeing some tweets that it was eventually going to be configurable.

I am still on 2020.48.12.1 (pre Christmas) - the new UI split seems like a downgrade to me? I could care less about visualizations, want more map.

So glad I never installed that terrible update. The little reminder that pops up on the screen is worth the small annoyance given the number of complaints on here, which I completely agree with from what I have seen.
Never did understand why Tesla would not let their owners choose their release number? Like Microsoft, etc. I still use XP and Windows 7.

Which ones are you referring to? Some of those driving visualizations have been readjusted.

Is the visualization/map split back to pre Christmas release? If so which version.
I remember seeing some tweets that it was eventually going to be configurable.

I am still on 2020.48.12.1 (pre Christmas) - the new UI split seems like a downgrade to me? I could care less about visualizations, want more map.

Exactly, I was referring to the screen visualization/map split. The visualization half is taking up considerably more space than it needs to. I hadn’t heard of any plan to make this user configurable. Is this an Elon tweet you are referring to? If so, I wouldn’t put much stock into it. I know he’s promised many software changes that haven’t seen the light of day even a year later.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert

There was a font rollback in size for the S/X. The same firmware update had no change for the 3, because no UI font roll back is currently in the works for the 3, I am informed, after much complaining. Someday, according to EM tweets in the middle of the night, possibly whilst on dope, which he may or may not remember, there might be screen layout choices.

Reactions: DDHEverything
Like Microsoft, etc. I still use XP and Windows 7.
That's a really bad idea. Security updates stopped being issued to consumers for both awhile ago, especially XP.

Your machines are now vulnerable to security vulnerabilities that will never be patched. Related to the above policy is that many software vendors also have dead-ended their software for Win 7 and XP and will not issue any more updates for them, so also no security updates for them.

Enterprises can pay big $ for ESU (Product Lifecycle FAQ - Extended Security Updates - Microsoft Lifecycle) but that will eventually end.
Never did understand why Tesla would not let their owners choose their release number?
Software companies prefer to not maintain too many branches of a given piece of software. I've worked in software for my entire professional career after college.

What if there's a new feature or improvement and version B is the one everyone's on but you want to stick with A. Well, A may never receive it. But, it they backport to version A, that's more engineering effort to integrate and test. In some cases, it may be a TON of work that's not worth it.

How about a security vulnerability? Same problem is going to happen.

I quickly dug up https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/comparing-workflows/gitflow-workflow and it has some examples of branching strategies. Just look at the diagrams.

Last edited:
That's a really bad idea. Security updates stopped being issued to consumers for both awhile ago, especially XP.

Your machines are now vulnerable to security vulnerabilities that will never be patched. Related to the above policy is that many software vendors also have dead-ended their software for Win 7 and XP and will not issue any more updates for them, so also no security updates for them.

Not always a security problem. I still use Microsoft Windows 7. HOWEVER, it is on a computer in my garage that is not connected to the internet an not connected to wifi and has nothing on it except software to run Christmas synchronized lighting. But sure, is someone is using it for their daily computer, then agree, a bad idea.

That's a really bad idea.
I have a room full of old computers and mobiles with different software releases for compatibility testing.
And serious Cisco hardware to avoid such intrusions.
There's application software that no longer works on Windows 7 so I keep it for that.
As long as you know the risks involved and know what you're doing, it's fine.
I too have been in senior software management for over 40 years.
(Not bragging.)
Might add for PRODUCTION, hell no! :) ... totally separate racks and / or AWS.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I have two main gripes with the two most recent updates:

1. My dashcam has been broken since the Dec 2020 update. I constantly see the “USB malfunction” error message. Rebooting the center display causes this error to clear for the remainder of the drive, but it returns the next day.

2. The driving visualization now takes up way too much of the screen space. Tesla needs to make this user adjustable, similar to how a program’s UI can be resized on a computer screen.

Update. Issue 1 has been resolved by recent software updates.

Issue 2 still bothers me. The map is just way too small because the driving visualization hogs like 40% of the screen area. Really looking forward to the update that lets us adjust the size of the UI windows.

Reactions: chengka and house9
Not always a security problem. I still use Microsoft Windows 7. HOWEVER, it is on a computer in my garage that is not connected to the internet an not connected to wifi and has nothing on it except software to run Christmas synchronized lighting. But sure, is someone is using it for their daily computer, then agree, a bad idea.

So if I follow this analog here, are we saying allowing us Tesla owners to choose the old software revision we want should be allowed because in some cases we won't be using our car for driving? :)