TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Not a fan of the piano black- can you add the wood later, or is anyone selling covers

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by eco5280, Oct 12, 2014.

1. eco5280

eco5280 Member

Title says it all - can't swing the extra money for the obeche wood but I don't love the piano black. Anyone selling covers, or can you upgrade later?

2. SteveW25561

SteveW25561 Member

Teslaaccessories.com has overlays you can put over the trim using different wood looks, etc. looks better than vinyl wraps since it has a polyurethane finish over them. But for the price differential on the price of the car for a wood trim, you might want to reconsider?

3. eco5280

eco5280 Member

Yeah I'm not spending $300 for the stickers, you're right on that. I've got 12 more days to mull this over.

4. trader

trader Member

The various wood trim parts in the car are actually held by clips and can be popped out and changed easily (the only part I am unsure of is the central armrest where the cupholders are). I don't know how much Tesla charges, but I know this is an upgrade they do if you later decide to change the trim.

5. shelbri

shelbri Member

Have you seen the piano black in person? I was concerned I wouldn't like it too but know that I have it I actually do like it.

6. breser

breser AutoPilot Nostradamus

Yeah I wasn't super excited about any of the trims. I ended up getting the Piano black because it was free and was the least objectionable in my opinion. In the end I'm glad I did. The black makes for a very nice contrast with the grey seats I got.

attachment.php?attachmentid=60412&d=1412130406.jpg

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I'm happy with my piano black, but would have preferred carbon fibre. However, at the time I purchased, carbon fibre was tied to the P85 and wasn't available on the S85. I never considered wood at all.

8. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

My only complaint about Piano Black is how it shows fingerprints.

9. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

So does the screen -- and you're often touching the screen but not very often touching the trim. I keep a microfiber cloth and small bottle of monitor spray in the car and clean both at the same time. I like the piano black but maybe that's because it does remind me of the classy look of a grand piano.

10. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Not entirely true.
    The dash panels actually are held in by both clips and screws along the bottom. Having made my own interior timber trims on substrates provided by Tesla, i can state this authoritatively. To get the old ones out, the lower dash panels around the steering column and the glove box assembly need to be removed. Those are also held in by both screws and clips.

11. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Please post pictures once you get these installed in your car.

12. breser

How hard is the center armwrest/cupholder area to get apart? Are you replacing that as well?

13. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I was worried about swirling and scratches on the piano black. I had it on a previous car and it started to look pretty bad after a few years.

I wasn't really impressed with the woods, so I just paid the extra for the carbon fiber. I figured it was worth the cost to preserve my sanity, otherwise I'd be obsessing over damage to the piano black finish. I can report that the carbon fiber is quite durable and hides flaws very well.

Not sure that helps at all, but with this much money going into the car, if you don't like the piano black, were it me, I'd suck it up and order the finish you want.

14. breser

I've actually been wondering if there's some sort of product you can put on it that would repel dust, fingerprints and protect it from scratches. Surely there must be.

15. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I'm sure you paint armour installer could install protective film. However, after over 30K miles, my piano black still looks new.

16. eco5280

eco5280 Member

You hit the nail on the head. I'm going to upgrade to the wood trim, which I like a lot except for the price :)