TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Not a fan of wood decor? Poor mans upgrade!

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by agloutney, Dec 8, 2019.

1. agloutney

agloutney Member

I’ve always been kind of fond of the carbon fibre decor but at the time of purchase had to make some financial decisions that favoured function over form. The look I wanted to replicate is finally complete. Enter the poor mans carbon fibre upgrade for a few dollars worth of vinyl wrap and a bit of time. It was fairly straight forward to do by removing the trim pieces around the pieces I wanted to wrap using a trim removal tool and then putting everything back together.

060AA224-C87D-4B5D-A2D9-93F567E291BD.jpeg D768B8C7-0A2D-4E5D-85C7-5B34F34578EA.jpeg 547D60FA-D616-4DE0-A220-7252D4175538.jpeg

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 2
  2. nativewolf

nativewolf Member

o_O As a forester and woodworking fan I can't agree :D

3. jerry33

jerry33 (S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20

Agreed. Wood belongs in horse drawn carriages, not cars.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Nice job on the install !!

• Like x 3
  5. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Active Member

Looks good but a little glossy for my taste. If you invest a few bucks more you can get the nice 3M stuff that's matte finish and looks nearly identical to the carbon fiber panels Tesla actually uses.

• Like x 1
  6. agloutney

agloutney Member

Yes it is a bit glossy. It looked less glossy when I ordered it but then again the old piano black was already glossy to begin with. I may redo it with a less glossy one eventually but for now I like it.

7. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Active Member

To each of their own. I for one only prefer Carbon fiber on supercars, not luxury Tesla's. I absolutely love the wood interior

8. agloutney

agloutney Member

I had piano black.

• Informative x 1
  9. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Active Member

I actually don't mind the glossy of the piano black trim as it's kind of necessary. To me, carbon fiber trim needs to be matte as the glossy looks cheap. Like I said, the matte stuff only costs slightly more than the gloss stuff but it looks SO much better and is well worth it if you're going to put forth the time to do it.

10. aarossig

aarossig Member

This looks great.

Did you remove the trim pieces from the dash? Did you wrap the center console lid as well?