Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not a Supercharger - King City: permit for EV chargers at 560 Canal Street

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been watching the "California Supercharger locations" posts and the supercharge.info changes list almost daily to see if a Supercharger is opening between Atascadero and Salinas. As those of you who drive this corridor know, the almost 2-hour gap on 101 between Superchargers means that Atascadero and SLO are both very, very busy. I have waited in lines at both every single time I have gone. Every single time.

Based on emails with King City's planning department today, I believe it is possible that a Tesla Supercharger is being installed in the large gap between Salinas and Atascadero. I will leave it to those of you who have more experience in this to determine if what I have been told is a definite confirmation of a supercharger. Here's what I was told:

1. Maxgen Energy is installing stations in the shopping center right off 101 at 560 Canal Street in King City.
2. The planning official did not confirm that the location is a Tesla SuC but did not deny it. When I told her I hoped to be able to charge my Tesla in King City she said "Hopefully soon you will not need to worry about this <smile>"

According to MaxGen's post on LinkedIn, they worked with Tesla to install the V3 Supercharger in Las Vegas:
"MaxGen is proud to have partnered with Tesla to install the largest V3 Supercharging station in Las Vegas! Congratulations to the MaxGen team on this major accomplishment. We make clean energy work."
Link: MaxGen Energy Services on LinkedIn: "MaxGen is proud to have partnered with Tesla to install the largest V3 Supercharging station in Las Vegas! Congratulations to the MaxGen team on this major accomplishment. We make clean energy work. https://lnkd.in/gAyRUY9 #MaxGen #Tesla #CleanEnergy #V3Supercharger"

I have a follow up question into planning asking if permit has been issued. They don't seem to have an online permit search function that I can find. Would love for this to be a SuC and for it to be a V3.... please please?

I have also emailed MaxGen. I do believe this is a promising lead. Mods feel free to message me for more details (contact name etc) or to delete / modify this thread if you feel I am jumping to a false conclusion here. This location is NOT on Tesla's coming soon map of Superchargers.

Having traveled that section of California a number of times, King City would be great for a location for superchargers. It is a good distance between Salinas and Atascadero and I think the only thing in between we found right along 101 for getting a charge was at The Mill at 43 Ranch in San Ardo where they have 3 Tesla HPWC (they were listed as a destination charger site on Tesla's map). Owner there is super nice, called ahead and stopped to get a tour of his olive oil processing plant and pick up some of their olive oil. He had us try out his chargers there and don't recall specifics but we were getting a good charge. As I recall he said he had contacted Tesla about possibly installing superchargers there because his olive processing plant had the electricity that he thought would be needed but said they turned him down. Only other place in this general vicinity was in King City (thru PlugShare) at a trailer park with a 14-50 and at Keefer's Inn with one ChargePoint J-1772 which back when we were traveling didn't seem to have a reliable charger.

Definitely good news especially for more range limited cars and even those with larger batteries with Atascadero and San Luis Obisbo/Madonna so limited with charging stations.

Reactions: Ulmo and goldengate
Update: planning department just said via email "Permit was issued in July."
Do you have information about the address? It would be helpful to know what part of which parking lot it's at. Also if you could find out how many stalls they'll be building and what kind of supercharger (Urban/72kW, V2/120kW, or V3/250kW) that be great. Last, check if there's solar or battery storage for the supercharger. All this information would be very helpful for creating an entry in supercharge.info.

The address she gave me is 560 Canal Street but she did not give me the location in the shopping center. It looks like a great location. I am trying to get more info but again their permit system is not online so I’m having to get to ask city staffers. It would be great if someone near King City or driving through could check on the location in the coming months. I will try to do so on my next trip.

Reactions: mociaf9 and Pluto
The address she gave me is 560 Canal Street but she did not give me the location in the shopping center. It looks like a great location. I am trying to get more info but again their permit system is not online so I’m having to get to ask city staffers. It would be great if someone near King City or driving through could check on the location in the coming months. I will try to do so on my next trip.
I just realized I didn’t read your whole original post, my bad

Thanks for your detective work and for starting this thread! It does sound like it could be a Supercharger, which would indeed be very useful. Hopefully you will receive the permit soon and we will know for sure. A Supercharger in King City would be very handy.
Based on emails with King City's planning department today, I believe it is possible that a Tesla Supercharger is being installed in the large gap between Salinas and Atascadero. I will leave it to those of you who have more experience in this to determine if what I have been told is a definite confirmation of a supercharger. Here's what I was told:

1. Maxgen Energy is installing stations in the shopping center right off 101 at 560 Canal Street in King City.
2. The planning official did not confirm that the location is a Tesla SuC but did not deny it. When I told her I hoped to be able to charge my Tesla in King City she said "Hopefully soon you will not need to worry about this <smile>"

According to MaxGen's post on LinkedIn, they worked with Tesla to install the V3 Supercharger in Las Vegas:

Update: planning department just said via email "Permit was issued in July."

Reactions: goldengate
So you’re thinking in this area I have marked? Seems possible.

C485A049-9990-4CEE-9438-322F62E90B6E.jpeg

King City Planning department is now "ghosting" me after being initially very responsive.
Sadly I don't think we will get much more info until we see construction begin at the site. I am driving by there next month and will check it out unless others are able to before then.

Could be a situation much like the Target Gilroy location I had reported about a number of weeks ago. You kind of run into a road block and don't get anywhere even calling the city's building department. I've found out that not all cities are super transparent with building permit info. I'm still watching the Morgan Hill location which did get built out with superchargers but not electrified yet and apart from driving by every day when I get coffee, the MH building department's website isn't any help.

I did see from the forum here that they are adding some additional superchargers to the Madonna location including some v3s, which will greatly help alleviate some of the congestion in that section of 101. I'm still thinking King City will be getting some too. The location is just perfect in my mind and sounds like we know something is going in. Look forward to updates.

Reactions: goldengate
Could be a situation much like the Target Gilroy location I had reported about a number of weeks ago. You kind of run into a road block and don't get anywhere even calling the city's building department. I've found out that not all cities are super transparent with building permit info. I'm still watching the Morgan Hill location which did get built out with superchargers but not electrified yet and apart from driving by every day when I get coffee, the MH building department's website isn't any help.

What we need is an 'in' with PG&E. Seems that since the transformer installation tends to be the last piece of puzzle before energizing, having someone friendly with PG&E would be very beneficial.