Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not able to Achieve a 100% Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was trying to charge my 2022 YLR to 100% and was not able to; was only able to achieve 99% charge. APP Indicated 99% for about 30-min. Then I noticed “3-waving line” icon next to “green charge” icon. So I stopped charging after a few minutes just in case it was some type of warning
7F262E25-4EE5-481F-88D6-B5658C87356B.jpeg
. Does anyone know what the “3-waving line” icon mean and or has experienced not being able to charge to 100%?

It clearly means that bacon is ready, there is a compartment inside the glovebox were you can retrieve it from.

Jk aside, that icon pops up when the car is warming up the battery to ideal temperatures, it can appear if you have schedule departure turned on, or if you turn on climate, and other, Are you charging outdoors?

Once the car gets to 99% or even 100% you will notice that the charge rate goes down significantly, and I can sit there for more than 30 minutes while is the car is calculating what “full” actually is for that particular battery pack. Since it is all chemistry based. Once the car says “Ah okay I can’t add any more energy to this pack” charging will be completed. Most people just unplug the car once it gets to 99% or hits 100% since it is not worth to wait 30+ minutes for a couple of extra miles.

The wavy lines indicate that the Tesla Model Y is warming the battery during preconditioning. No idea why the battery would need to be warmed at this time of year.

You did not state whether you were charging at home or at a Supercharger station. Normally when navigating to a Supercharger station the Tesla vehicle will precondition the battery for Supercharging. (I am not sure if the wavy lines display when navigating to a Supercharger.)

Charging to 100% takes additional time, as much as 40 minutes after the display reads 100% before the vehicle actually stops charging.

The wavy lines indicate that the Tesla Model Y is warming the battery during preconditioning. No idea why the battery would need to be warmed at this time of year.

You did not state whether you were charging at home or at a Supercharger station. Normally when navigating to a Supercharger station the Tesla vehicle will precondition the battery for Supercharging. (I am not sure if the wavy lines display when navigating to a Supercharger.)

Charging to 100% takes additional time, as much as 40 minutes after the display reads 100% before the vehicle actually stops charging.
I was charging at a Tesla Supercharger. I noticed the wavy lines displayed at about 99%

Got it. Thanks

Actually I decided to try and recalibrate my battery since I had driven it down to 6%. Yes I was at the Supercharger for nearly 1-1/2, 2-hours
All as expected.

It's quick to charge up to 80% then it slows down. The last 1% is slowest as you just experienced. It's still not done after 2 hours in your case. It's too slow that it turned on its battery heater to speed it up.

That's why if you need to charge to 100%, do it when you have time like at home sleeping.