Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not able to charge with Mobile Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the last day or 2 I hace tried to put some charge into my Tesla. It just so happens I had a software update waiting so on the off chance that may help the situation I tried again to charge at home. 'Red Light' fault still apparent. On close inspection of the cars' port, it appears one of the pins looks different. The top left pin looks like its missing an outer covering - therefore no connection? What do you think?

Tesla Charging Point.jpg

Worked fine in a local destination charger, so mobile charger is stuffed.
Is it repairable - I believe this is the original mobile charger used in Australia circa 2015?

Plug it in and press the reset button on your Wall Connector and it may stabilise as green. If successful about 10 seconds later the car will see the power and start charging. This is what mine is doing at the moment. I contacted Tesla and they said they are not repairable but the Service Centre will accept a broken Charge Connector for recycling.

Plug it in and press the reset button on your Wall Connector and it may stabilise as green. If successful about 10 seconds later the car will see the power and start charging. This is what mine is doing at the moment. I contacted Tesla and they said they are not repairable but the Service Centre will accept a broken Charge Connector for recycling.

I have shifted residence and don't have my HPWC installed anymore, so I was just relying on my Mobile Connector for charge. Warrnambool Supercharger gone now of course. I intend to reinstall in my next residence although I'm hoping to get a Model Y when available so I guess my HPWC won't be of any use anymore. My 3 phase 5 pin 20amp, 32amp will be redundant with the Y as well I assume.

Thanks Meloccom.

I have shifted residence and don't have my HPWC installed anymore, so I was just relying on my Mobile Connector for charge. Warrnambool Supercharger gone now of course. I intend to reinstall in my next residence although I'm hoping to get a Model Y when available so I guess my HPWC won't be of any use anymore. My 3 phase 5 pin 20amp, 32amp will be redundant with the Y as well I assume.

Thanks Meloccom.

?? The HPWC should work fine with the Model S, X, 3 or Y, in Aust, they're all the same Type2 connector on new deliveries.

Does Tesla not cover such things under Warranty? And if you're buying a Model Y you'll get a new UMC with it anyway (not that you'll want to make do with only one UMC for two cars!). The wall chargers and UMCs are identical. The plug only varies for DC charging (e.g. superchargers, NRMA, Chargefox and Evie Networks rapid chargers).

Does Tesla not cover such things under Warranty? And if you're buying a Model Y you'll get a new UMC with it anyway (not that you'll want to make do with only one UMC for two cars!). The wall chargers and UMCs are identical. The plug only varies for DC charging (e.g. superchargers, NRMA, Chargefox and Evie Networks rapid chargers).
The connectors are covered for the same warranty as the car, although I suspect Brewsers has expired.

I'll be selling my 2015 P85D when I get my Model Y.
So my destination charger will still work for the Model Y - great!!
And so my Maxicharger for 3 phase will be fine as well - great as well !!

I wonder if I can hang on without replacing my mobile charger and just use the Warrnambool destination charger for around town - hmmmmm.

I'll be selling my 2015 P85D when I get my Model Y.
I wonder if I can hang on without replacing my mobile charger and just use the Warrnambool destination charger for around town - hmmmmm.
Model Y arriving in Aust could be 18 months away so you'd be hanging on for quite a while.
Can you use the Maxicharger as a UMC replacement ?