TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Not able to connect Tesla's Wifi to home network?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by duBois, Sep 26, 2013.

1. duBois

duBois Member

Hi,

I'm experiencing problems when connecting my MS Wifi to our home network. BGN network, SSID visible, european, WPA/WPA2 personal password. AES+TKIP.

Even with all security off (open network) the MS will not connect to it.

Any clues or tips?

2. Crispix

Crispix Member

Can the car connect to other wifi networks? Make sure the car wifi at least works.

If so, I'd suggest messing with the band settings, turn off B and just try G, for example. You might be able to try different channels on the wifi access point. Maybe the car is too far from the access point?

3. roundy

roundy New Member

I have the same issue. Unable to connect to my 802.11N home network. I've tried forcing 802.11g and turning security off, but nothing works. The car will see all the local networks (except for 5.0ghz N networks) and recognize that some require a password. But after I enter the password, the connection will fail and I get the message to "Check the password."

4. duBois

duBois Member

No, the access point is near. My laptop is able to access our wireless network (from within the MS).

5. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Try changing your password to exactly 8 characters long and don't use any non alpha numeric characters. I've seen a similar problem before and that was the solution.

The fact that it doesn't connect without encryption shoots a hole in this theory, but it's worth a try.

6. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Others who reported issues fixed it by rebooting the MCU .... (17" display)

7. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

just a guess - your wifi router typical uses a fixed channel for your wifi, try change this channel to a different - offen this helps in situations like yours.
    some equipent does not like specific channels - so changing to another could help compability.

8. duBois

duBois Member

Update; all of the above won't get the connection working. Will try above tips with a single B or G band. Keep them tips coming... :)

9. nolngrgrsngslde

If you have a smart phone that allows wifi tethering, you may want to see if it connects with it. Also, how is the bluetooth, does it work?

10. duBois

duBois Member

Bluetooth works flawless, also the MS does connect to a wifi tethered iphone. just not to my WiFi home network... It does connect to other Wifi networks belonging to my company's .

11. ACDriveMotor

ACDriveMotor Member

Seems like you might want a new WiFi AP.

12. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Is your home AP running the latest firmware? What brand/model?

A

13. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

You also can search Google for NetStumbler. Its a wifi security (reveal) tool. Version .9 ran only on Win XP. don't know about more recent version.
    It will tell you about wifi routers running in your neighborhood. Once you see what channel and what SSID they are running on, you can move your AP to a different channel.
    This way your change your AP to use completely different.
    The explanation of your problem sounds a lot like you are competing head on with others running on the same channel.
    Highly unlikely but, someone might be copying your SSID. If they are, they are messing with you. Even though you have a different password, your system is being stepped on.

14. EU#536

EU#536 New Member

I have the exact same problem. Have you found a solution? I would be happy to know. I have tried all of the above, nothing works. The signal in my garage is good.

15. Andy Black

Andy Black Member

Hi,

I've had the same issue. What I had to do to get things working was allow 802.11b on my access point (Apple Airport). I have a feeling the NIC in the car is only 802.11b. It's made by a company called Parrot but that's all I've been able to figure out. If I figure out the model, I'll post it.

-- Andy

16. irishstoutaz

irishstoutaz Member

I have not been able to get it connected to our home network but did connect successfully at a hotel we stayed at this past weekend.

17. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

Here's the issue I had...

On my wireless access point during the setup process, I typed in a "passphrase" and in turn the access point generated a hexadecimal "key" from that passphrase.

Once set up, for every laptop or device I have connected to my wireless network in the past, I have used the hexadecimal "key" as the password on the laptop when connecting to the wireless network.

In the case of the Tesla, it would not connect in this fashion, but as soon as I typed in the entire original "passphrase" then it connected right away...

18. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Just received and installed 5.8 (had 4.5)
    I have multiple Wifi routers in range, and I can't get the Model S to join.
    Tried rebooting the center screen, didn't make a difference.
    Is there any trick to getting the car to connect?

Mitch

19. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Not really. Can your car see the access points? What does it do when you try to connect? We need a little more data to help.

20. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Yes, it sees both access points. States it can't join "network name"
    Please check the password. I have multiple iPhones and iPads joined with the same password..

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg