Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not able to connect Tesla's Wifi to home network?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just updated to version 5.8. I have been having the same problem that others have described regarding wi-fi. I can tether the car to my phone, but can't connect to wi-fi. I tried re-booting the screen, but it had no effect. Called Tesla in Fremont and they say they don't know of any issues. Perhaps they should read all the posts.

I have discovered the "problem/bug" in Teslas WiFi implementation, and why so many of us are having issues.

It turns out that the WiFi access point you connect to MUST supply the DCHP address to the Model S, or the car refuses to connect.

I have a large house, and my main FIOS router runs DHCP, while the other WiFi routers run in "access point" mode, just passing the traffic along to the main DHCP server.. Apparently Teslas bug is, they won't accept the DHCP IP address from a different MAC address than the WiFi access point being connected to.

This morning, I enabled DHCP on the Netgear router in the garage, and just connected the WAN port to my LAN, letting the Netgear provide DHCP for WiFi devices connected to it, the Model S connected within 5-10 seconds with all bars being lit up (the router is 3' away from the passengers door)

I'll email or call ownership and try to explain the bug to them, I'll need to talk to someone who understands networking though, to be able to write up the issue correctly.

i don't think this is true, my setup is like this

Tesla Model S > Asus RT-AC66U (AP ONLY! WiFi to GigE) > Windows Server 2008R2 (DHCP/DNS/RADIUS) > Linksys WRT54GL (DDWRT, no internal network services running) Gateway/Firewall > Shaw Cable Internet

i was only able to get the model S to connect after i changed my wifi to 20/40MHz comptibility, and to allow legacy devices (B and G) instead of only N

i don't think this is true, my setup is like this

Tesla Model S > Asus RT-AC66U (AP ONLY! WiFi to GigE) > Windows Server 2008R2 (DHCP/DNS/RADIUS) > Linksys WRT54GL (DDWRT, no internal network services running) Gateway/Firewall > Shaw Cable Internet

i was only able to get the model S to connect after i changed my wifi to 20/40MHz comptibility, and to allow legacy devices (B and G) instead of only N

I'm not using a windows server. (Currently) for DHCP, it's running on the FIOS ActionTech router. That is my environment...
Windows DHCP is a lot more advanced than what's running in the router. The only thing I changed between working and not working was setting the Netgear up to hand out IP addresses via it's internal DHCP server, rather than being given out by the FIOS ActionTech WiFi router.. The clue was, the car was once able to connect to the ActionTech, but it is too far away for a reliable connection.

They probably have a low level bug not accepting the DHCP offering from some types of different MAC addresses, perhaps it works fine with Windows DHCP, but not with the DHCP running in the FIOS ActionTech. Also, I was able to see the "lease" for the Model S in the DHCP scope on the FIOS ActionTech wifi router, but the Model S was not accepting it, the reason has not been determined, it was either too slow in responding, or they have a MAC address issue accepting the offered IP in some cases.

FYI, the Netgear has been set for 20/40 since day 1, also B/G/N on 2.4Ghz as well. The only thing that's fixed it was having the router handout DHCP to the Model S

QED :)

I have discovered the "problem/bug" in Teslas WiFi implementation, and why so many of us are having issues.

It turns out that the WiFi access point you connect to MUST supply the DCHP address to the Model S, or the car refuses to connect.

I have a large house, and my main FIOS router runs DHCP, while the other WiFi routers run in "access point" mode, just passing the traffic along to the main DHCP server.. Apparently Teslas bug is, they won't accept the DHCP IP address from a different MAC address than the WiFi access point being connected to.

This morning, I enabled DHCP on the Netgear router in the garage, and just connected the WAN port to my LAN, letting the Netgear provide DHCP for WiFi devices connected to it, the Model S connected within 5-10 seconds with all bars being lit up (the router is 3' away from the passengers door)

I'll email or call ownership and try to explain the bug to them, I'll need to talk to someone who understands networking though, to be able to write up the issue correctly.

With 5.6 I connected to my router (running DD-WRT) configured as an access point forwarding DHCP requests to my Windows 2008 Server.

My reception seems a bit spotty, and I haven't yet addressed that and connected again with 5.8, but non-router-supplied DHC wasn't an obstacle for me in connecting via WiFi.

This doesn't match my experience. My MS60 5.8 (.24) connects to the AirPort Extreme upstairs that's set up as an access point while the AirPort Extreme dual band downstairs with its WiFi turned off does the routing and handing out DHCP.

With 5.6 I connected to my router (running DD-WRT) configured as an access point forwarding DHCP requests to my Windows 2008 Server.

My reception seems a bit spotty, and I haven't yet addressed that and connected again with 5.8, but non-router-supplied DHC wasn't an obstacle for me in connecting via WiFi.

Normal router signal (from my Verizon FIOS) in my garage was 1 bar, so I plugged in an old Linksys Wireless Ranger Extender (RE1000) and now have maximum signal strength. The bridge is set on automatic DCHP, works perfectly.

I just posted the solution that worked for me... If you beat your head against the wall long enough, something will work... In my case, enabling the local wifi access point to supply DHCP is what solved my issue. I'd suggest if anyone has issues, give that as try. Like I said, I did see the MAC address of the Model S in the main routers DHCP lease list, but the car was not accepting it or connecting... The solution that worked for me was to connect the WAN port to my LAN, and have the Netgear wifi router in the garage give out it's own IPs. (Different subnet of courses), to wireless devices connecting to it.

I just posted the solution that worked for me... If you beat your head against the wall long enough, something will work... In my case, enabling the local wifi access point to supply DHCP is what solved my issue. I'd suggest if anyone has issues, give that as try. Like I said, I did see the MAC address of the Model S in the main routers DHCP lease list, but the car was not accepting it or connecting... The solution that worked for me was to connect the WAN port to my LAN, and have the Netgear wifi router in the garage give out it's own IPs. (Different subnet of courses), to wireless devices connecting to it.

And your experience is certainly appreciated, however you stated it as if it was categorically THE issue, and that one "MUST" configure such settings to be successful:

mitch672 said:

As several of us have responded, your assertion that you "MUST" do so isn't the case. It's certainly a helpful data point, however.

How long are people finding it takes to join the Wifi network when you drive in range (drive into garage).
I have no cell service near my house, so when I get close, maps and internet radio all stop working.
Last night was the first time I drove into my garage since setting up the wifi. I expected it to join immediately, but there was no music, no map refresh .....
After getting impatient (probably after 40 seconds!!) I clicked on the network symbol (which was still showing 0 bars 3g) and the Searching Networks Circle was busy doing its thing (circling!), however, it had already found my WiFi network, but didn't automatically connect. In the end, I just selected the network and it joined straight away. I'm assuming it would have joined eventually, but what's the holdup?

Just got 5.8 today from 4.5, and the car cannot even find my network, let alone connect to it. This is about 20 feet from the router. Tesla must use one POS antenna, as I have connected dozens of devices up to 100 yards away with no problems. The worst part is there is no 3g Att service within 50 miles of here.

Just wanted to report that I have a 7-8 year old Linksys WRT54G running "tomato" firmware now working just fine with the Model S.

The solution was the same one that worked for the newer Netgear WNDR 3800, which is to allow the router itself to run DHCP, and have the router connected to my LAN via it's WAN port.

BTW, once I pull into my garage, as soon as I put the Model S into "Park", it drops the 3G connection and is instantly connected to the WiFi router.

Mitch

My car also connects to Wi-Fi within a few seconds of pulling into the garage, and shows a full strength signal, but when I get in the car the next morning and it goes through its wake-up routine, it shows 3G not Wi-Fi. Is this normal behavior?

My car also connects to Wi-Fi within a few seconds of pulling into the garage, and shows a full strength signal, but when I get in the car the next morning and it goes through its wake-up routine, it shows 3G not Wi-Fi. Is this normal behavior?

Not sure what "normal" is yet, last night pulling into the garage, I had to hit the 3G icon to get the WiFi to connect, sometimes it will connect by itself, sometimes you have to prod it. So far, in the morning when I get in the car the WiFi shows connected... Until 1 day it won't :)

Mine doing the same, I have a service appointment today & will ask them about it but I doubt they will have the solution.

if you have deep sleep enabled (power saving) wifi turns off,

When I was on 5.0 car would sleep & never had that wifi message every morning, since updating to 5.8 seeing the wifi screen is getting old.