Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

not able to remove sold S from account?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sold my S in mid December and now (almost 2 months later) it is still on my account! I have tried following their official instructions by emailing [email protected] multiple times with the request to remove the car, but it seems to go into a black hole and nobody ever responds to me.

I also tried the live chat that sometimes shows up at Customer Support, but the person was not able to do anything over chat and referred me the the same email address. I told her I already tried that, so she found my request and said she would "escalate" it, but that was 2 weeks ago and nothing has happened.

I also tried submitting a request from my tesla account webpage and marked the "escalate" field but that has gone nowhere either.

I have also tried calling (877) 798-3752 technical support but the phone tree just runs me around in circles before telling me about the same email address again.

Does anyone know of a definite way to get a sold car removed?

The car is still on my app so I can see that the car was sold to someone in Florida and is driving around, supercharging, etc. It's creepy, I shouldn't be allowed mobile control of someone else's car! Also I don't want to get charged any idle fees they might incur either!

btw here are the official instructions I've been trying:
Account Support
How do I remove a car from my Tesla Account?
To remove a car from your Tesla Account, email [email protected] with the following information:

• Full VIN of the car
  • Reason for removal
  • If sold, include the type of sale: private or third party
You will be notified by email once the removal process is complete.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: croman
interesting, does this also mean that the new owner isnt using the app? i know it can sometimes take a few weeks for them to move it..
no clue. but if they just bought the car, they probably don't even have the registration yet, which according to Ownership Transfer Support is required to add the car to his app. But the ironic thing is, he has to send the registration to the same email address that I've been been sending my requests to. So if nobody is responding to my requests, nobody is responding to the new owner's either...yikes!

no clue. but if they just bought the car, they probably don't even have the registration yet, which according to Ownership Transfer Support is required to add the car to his app. But the ironic thing is, he has to send the registration to the same email address that I've been been sending my requests to. So if nobody is responding to my requests, nobody is responding to the new owner's either...yikes!

when i gave my model 3 reservation to a friend, i had the model 3 on my account for maybe 3 weeks before they finally moved it. they never emailed me back saying they moved it either. i just noticed it was gone and it did appear on my friends email

I’ve been waiting a week for the car I purchased used to move over. I feel bad because I supercharged and didn’t know about idle fees and since I didn’t have the app, just checked in on it after over and hour. Found out later there were fees, hopefully the old owner didn’t get charged.

Called yesterday and they said within 24 hours it would be done. Called today and they said someone was “working on my account” and it would be done today or Monday. I’m see a trend...

Reactions: xanatos
Tesla is too busy putting resources into stupid atari games and fart sounds in the car to answer a simple basic customer service email.

Sometimes it amazes me that this a real car company and not some goofy silicon Valley 10 employee startup.

I guess the guy who was supposed to answer your email was probably laid off along with 6,999 of his buddies earlier this month.

I went through that as well. Sold the car and was charged supercharger idle fee
Give them a call and don’t take “email such and such” for an answer
When I sold my S I talked to a person who emailed me while we were on the phone confirming my request to remove the vehicle
3 days later the car is removed

Reactions: xanatos
I went through that as well. Sold the car and was charged supercharger idle fee
Give them a call and don’t take “email such and such” for an answer
When I sold my S I talked to a person who emailed me while we were on the phone confirming my request to remove the vehicle
3 days later the car is removed
Do you remember which number you called? I can never seem to reach a live human using my number, unless I try to report a flat tire...

update: the car was finally removed from my account. but get this, it was not due to all the emails/chats/calls I had been sending.
it was because they finally processed the new owners request to put the car onto his account.
so it seems like they give priority to those to buy the cars and need to transfer ownership, and pretty much ignore the previous owner of the car. which makes me wonder, if the new owner never bothered or don't care about transferring ownership with tesla, doesn't that mean the car can stay with the previous owner indefinitely? hmm...

You are now given an option to remove your Tesla vehicle from your account when you click Manage at:

Tesla SSO – Login

However, the National Tesla support department based in Montreal suggested to NOT remove your Tesla vehicle for private party sales so you can assist the new owner if service is needed while the new owner's paperwork is being processed by Tesla for the transfer to their account. It is critical that the new owner create their own Tesla Account and CALL Tesla to start the process of sending in their Driver's License, DMV Registration and other requested information the day they get their Tesla registered.

Once the vehicle is removed from your account, even the support group cannot see the vehicle. As stated, "A flat tire? Too bad."

More details about ownership transfer can be found at Tesla Account Support:

Tesla Account Support

Once the email arrived to the new owner requesting images, email, address, phone and type of purchase, It took one week or 5 business days for the transfer to take place. Having sharp images of the registration and drivers license in the correct orientation can help speed the process. Compared with the 3 1/2 years to wait for my first Model S from time of deposit, one week to transfer ownership is acceptable.