Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not able to set charge times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am using a trickle charger at home, drive once or twice every week, need it to be at least 80% charged on the driving days. I am trying to charge my car during off peak hours from 9 pm - 3 pm. I do not see a suitable option in Tesla. It only allows me to start the charge at 9 pm but won't stop after 3 pm if the charge level is still low. I have seen Tesla using its own brain to determine when to start or stop my charge. I end up paying the peak charges when I do not need to. I feel this may be a ploy by Tesla to sell the fast home charger or may be a Tesla battery. I expect a simple solution to start and stop charge on a particular times irrespective of my charge levels, and my car to not use its brain when not required or where it is making things worse for me.

My other EV car has a simple option for me to start the charge at 9 pm and stop it at 3 pm everyday. Absolutely no issues ever. It has an option to prioritise full charge which I can use if I need to drive the car for longer distance he next day.

I had raised this issue about 2 years back but still waiting for a very simple solution.

Your off peak hours are 9PM until 3PM??? That's very generous of your power provider, unless you mean 9PM till 3AM. We have no off peak discounts where I live, but if we did I'd just plug the car in once off peak rates go into effect. If your car isn't charged by the time off peak rates end you should think about setting up a 240volt level 2 charging system. Mine cost $200 to install and I just plug my Tesla mobil charger into the plug the electrician provided,

TeslaFi would be a way to charge your car as you are attempting to do it. It's a non tesla way of doing things but TeslaFI offers some great service. Here's an example of creating a charge schedule. Schedule this each day and that should add 140 rated miles each week.

1652984239519.png

I agree with Manon that the charging options don't make sense. My off-peak hours are midnight until 3pm. When I am away from home a few days, and arrive home at say 8am, I want the car to start charging, but it never does. I read that there's a rule like "beyond 4 hours into your off-peak time, it won't automatically start charging." Arg! I tried saying "I plan to leave at 3pm", but then if on a later day I arrive home at 8am for an hour, it won't start charing at 8am because it thinks it's better to wait until closer to 3pm.

It should not be EITHER scheduled charging OR ready for departure time. I too want "charge anytime I plug you in during this time period".

Tesla has a network API so the remote control can be automated. TeslaFI mentioned above is using it but TeslaFI is paid. Using Perl variant for my Linux script not for this functionality but it could be used for that. As long you mean 9pm-3am on a Linux box one could use with my script automated "Start charging"/"Stop charging":
0 21 * * * /root/tesla-vehicle/examples/charge.pl b1 0 3 * * * /root/tesla-vehicle/examples/charge.pl b0

Tesla has a network API so the remote control can be automated. TeslaFI mentioned above is using it but TeslaFI is paid. Using Perl variant for my Linux script not for this functionality but it could be used for that. As long you mean 9pm-3am on a Linux box one could use with my script automated "Start charging"/"Stop charging":
0 21 * * * /root/tesla-vehicle/examples/charge.pl b1 0 3 * * * /root/tesla-vehicle/examples/charge.pl b0
I don't know how or where to use this programming, and I don't subscribe to TeslaFI, and don't think I want to.