Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not an exoskeleton- wait say what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
plus you ain't towing 14k lbs for long... what's the point of such an absurdly high tow rating (nearly 40%+ higher than full size F150s/ Silverados) aside from "bragging rights" ? Your range towing that much would likely be under 150 miles...
it's not 40% higher - for the F150/1500 series trucks from Ford/GM/RAM - when you equip them with the actual towing packages, proper gearing, etc., most are rated around 12,500 lbs towing at present. So 14k lbs is only roughly 12% larger than the current ratings. That rating isn't what typically matters anyways, it's the payload ratings in the 150/1500's that are typically the limiting factor - i.e. tongue weight. This is why many half ton pickup owners end up using WDH's when towing - otherwise they typically exceed their payload weight limits long before getting up to the advertised pull tow ratings (i.e. 12,500 lbs.).

Hopefully the 3/4 motor CTs will leverage the same tech in the Semi that can disable all but one motor when cruising that will help to enhance towing range. How much will it help? That's the big question for me.

CT clearly is not a pure exoskeleton with all structural loads being carried by exterior body panels.

CT probably also not just a model-Y unibody with heavy stainless cladding.

The truth is likely in the middle. SOME structural loads and strength coming from stronger-than-normal exterior panels, but also some unibody internal structures to meet safety regulations and basically make the whole thing work.

It reminds me a bit of the over-hyped 4680 structural pack and mega-casts. It was sold as stronger/lighter/cheaper/better. When finally brought into practice it turned out to be almost exactly the same weight, but did reduce complexity and maybe costs.

CT was sold as a revolution in car structure.... in practice it's gonna be stronger more dent-resistant body panels on an overall frame that's not really stronger/lighter/revolutionary.

Maybe wishful thinking but it is possible to have the best of both worlds. I want the hard SS exterior for durability but like having unibody components as well if it provides better safety and a more robust tow hitch. Why does it have to be all one or the other? I think they had a first-principles meeting early on and realized getting religious about ES was not optimal. Look at the whole truck and do what makes sense. Let ES do what it does best and re-optimize the rest of the components rather than just deleting them.
Unibody isn't good on a truck, which undergoes all kinds of stresses a car does not. It would be better to have a truck on frame, with in this case a stainless steel skin.

Unibody isn't good on a truck, which undergoes all kinds of stresses a car does not. It would be better to have a truck on frame, with in this case a stainless steel skin.
I would clarify your statement to be unibody is not good on a truck that goes through truck stresses. I have a ridgeline which is unibody and its fantastic...but my use cases are driving on roads and hauling furniture/wood for building furniture. I think that probably the vast majority of trucks sold are just commuter vehicles that don't ever undergo any real stress and hence unibody is actually better for those vehicles.

I would clarify your statement to be unibody is not good on a truck that goes through truck stresses. I have a ridgeline which is unibody and its fantastic...but my use cases are driving on roads and hauling furniture/wood for building furniture. I think that probably the vast majority of trucks sold are just commuter vehicles that don't ever undergo any real stress and hence unibody is actually better for those vehicles.
it's just funny how Elon promised the CT to be the best and most durable ... but very likely it's unibody and not exoskeleton or body on frame.

traditionally full size and heavy duty trucks are body on ladder-frame as that is the ideal solution for towing.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
In this video at the 3:08 mark the Sledgehammer hits the White door sideways and skips along the Door. When they hit the Cybertruck Door they purposely hit it with the Dead Blow Sledgehammer head on and don't allow the Sledge to skip along the Door. If the Sledgehammer hit the Cybertruck Door the exact same way as the White Door would it have left dings or dents

Reactions: cusetownusa
In this video at the 3:08 mark the Sledgehammer hits the White door sideways and skips along the Door. When they hit the Cybertruck Door they purposely hit it with the Dead Blow Sledgehammer head on and don't allow the Sledge to skip along the Door. If the Sledgehammer hit the Cybertruck Door the exact same way as the White Door would it have left dings or dents
How are you so sure?
It does appear Franz swung harder at the white door but that’s just showmanship.

When the Sledge is swung at the White door the Sledge is turned sideways and the raised side of the Sledgehammer hits the door. This picture is just an example but the side edges that are raised is what hits the White Door. You can see him turn the hammer to the side just before he hits the White door
db10__77071.1596142807.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
When the Sledge is swung at the White door the Sledge is turned sideways and the raised side of the Sledgehammer hits the door. This picture is just an example but the side edges that are raised is what hits the White Door. You can see him turn the hammer to the side just before he hits the White door

It looked like he just accidently twisted it a little and then the curved door made it tilt down. Near as I could tell when going frame-by-frame (using . and , shortcuts).

VqMIYJ0.jpg

RWc9m14.jpg

OAotHOv.jpg

Reactions: VIKING26
It looked like he just accidently twisted it a little and then the curved door made it tilt down. Near as I could tell when going frame-by-frame (using . and , shortcuts).

VqMIYJ0.jpg

RWc9m14.jpg

OAotHOv.jpg
"sledgehammer rated" (the most pointless gimmick) but it makes the vehicle heavier and more expensive and less efficient due to the extra weight ...

there's a reason other manufacturers use aluminum or lighter weight/ thinner steel panels for truck doors...

Reactions: VIKING26
"sledgehammer rated" (the most pointless gimmick) but it makes the vehicle heavier and more expensive and less efficient due to the extra weight ...
I wholeheartedly agree with this. BUT most truck owners don’t care already. 98% are driving around hauling nothing. Most would be financially much better off buying a car or small SUV with a hitch and renting a trailer once or twice a year to haul things.

The my truck is tougher than yours gimmick will help Tesla sell a lot of them. Just look at truck marketing…Built Ford tough, Chevy’s like a rock, Toyota Tundras driving up huge metal structures through flames, etc.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. BUT most truck owners don’t care already. 98% are driving around hauling nothing. Most would be financially much better off buying a car or small SUV with a hitch and renting a trailer once or twice a year to haul things.

The my truck is tougher than yours gimmick will help Tesla sell a lot of them. Just look at truck marketing…Built Ford tough, Chevy’s like a rock, Toyota Tundras driving up huge metal structures through flames, etc.
then Tesla better get their plastic clips / interior trim pieces coming off/ rattling / panel gaps and inconsistent paint QC in order. What good is a "my doors can take a sledgehammer blow" when the plastic panels around a seat pop off and interior trim pieces rattle within the first year and panel gaps on one side like a Lexus and on the other like the Grand Canyon... priorities first :)

there's a reason other manufacturers use aluminum or lighter weight/ thinner steel panels for truck doors...
I'm pretty careful where I park trying to reduce my chances of door dings, shopping carts, etc. Hard to do at busy places you may go ... popular trailheads, parking lots near popular places, etc. Personally, I'll appreciate having tough exterior skin for this aspect. I'll still be reasonable as I know the truck is big (bigger than my X) but in situations where you don't have a choice then I won't worry/care. Food for thought.

The approximate dimensions of the Cybertruck and Model X from ChatGPT that auto-runs on my Google searches are as follows:
Length:
Around 231.7 inches (5.87 meters)
Around 198.3 inches (5.03 meters)

Width:
Around 84.0 inches (2.13 meters) [was 79.8 but that wasn't 'right']
Around 81.5 inches (2.07 meters)

Height:
Around 75.0 inches (1.91 meters)
Around 66.0 inches (1.68 meters)