Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not at fault rear end accident in CT - repairs/process help (model 3, AWD, 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all forum members. Wife driving with kids in the back got rear ended bit nastily by unlicenced driver (using son's pick up truck) on I95 (has State Farm insurance). Model 3, 2019, AWD. I'd appreciate any help, info and guidance on how to proceed with repairs (Tesla SC calls were unanswered as of yet).

Very thankfully, no physical hurt except for spouse feeling some headache for sometime.
But given close to 0 experience in handling accident claims and repairs and what not - I'm too pressed on time to figure anything out (I feel strongly about getting the diminished value claim as well as liability claim - driver initially tried to flee the scene.. and then speaking to his son came back to accident location)
And Tesla did not record (!) with USB stick still in. Total joke given all the cameras.
Another person that our M3 bumped in front due to rear impact - corroborated and we got police report to indicate pick up truck driver was unlicenced and fully at fault.

Damage - back has some tear (above bumper region) - more along expected lines. There is literally tears in the back from impact and can see some metal parts jutting from these tears. I did not inspect inside the trunk. Have been frantic ensuring family members don't have physical issues. Main damage (at least quick visual check) is in front with hood bent up (so frunk is exposed to rain/water/dust damage). M3 was pushed forward while on hold/still as it took the impact from pick up in the rear to hit the SUV/BMW in front and kind of go under a bit to damage front area including hood. Sides (doors and getting in/out) seem ok. It is drivable (and highly highly preferable as primary use vehicle). Only other things I notice is in the app the car is showing a weird 6 digit number (above the miles/percent battery display). I'll try to drive more and figure any weird sounds, or issues while driving.

How can I ensure
1. Best quality repair (I have 2nd car for school/other running around) - and most time efficient. I'm in Fairfield, CT (close to I95) region have have couple Tesla SCs around (around 20-30 min range, won't mind getting there for better quality repair). Does Tesla repair? and is it preferred over Tesla owned collision center? (I have been looking their website, they apprently do 'minor' body repairs.. given my knowledge I'm 0 qualified to make that judgement).

2. How do I go for diminished value due to accident in history? I was looking to sell to try to get better value and go for more spacious car for family use. Not sure how badly this will impact the value at the time of selling (to impact buying replacement vehicle). I'd appreciate any info (or any CT specific info).
Also, is there a way to quicly get some kind of proof of actual loss in value (I was vaguely thinking of check with carvana, both with and without this recent accident?.. not sure if that works or is advisable).

3. Any other claims/procedures I can make myself aware of ? I haven't yet filed for insurance claim (just happened late yesterday and had busy work schedule to deal with so pressed on time as it is). What would be more time efficient as well - much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
I'd appreciate step by step (to get an idea on sequence, who should go first) on the process you'd follow in this scenario. TA!

Tesla Service Centers (SCs) do not generally do body repairs unless it is also a Tesla Repair center, and that is rare. You are wasting your time contacting a Tesla SC. Look on line for tesla body shops or tesla authorized body shops in your area.

You have a long (long) time before you will need to think about a diminished value claim, as that is done after repairs are completed, and is also not filed against your own insurance but the at fault parties. Given that you mention the person that hit you originally tried to flee the scene, do they even have insurance?

===============================

(moderator note)

Since you mention "CT specific info" a few times, I am moving this post to the regional subforum, for hopefully more local to you responses.

Tesla Service Centers (SCs) do not generally do body repairs unless it is also a Tesla Repair center, and that is rare. You are wasting your time contacting a Tesla SC. Look on line for tesla body shops or tesla authorized body shops in your area.

You have a long (long) time before you will need to think about a diminished value claim, as that is done after repairs are completed, and is also not filed against your own insurance but the at fault parties. Given that you mention the person that hit you originally tried to flee the scene, do they even have insurance?

===============================

(moderator note)

Since you mention "CT specific info" a few times, I am moving this post to the regional subforum, for hopefully more local to you responses.
Thanks for sharing the info

“Given that you mention the person that hit you originally tried to flee the scene, do they even have insurance?” — yeah they have State Farm (person of age was driving without DL his son’s pick up truck — he said he does not normally drive :))

I can’t imagine that diminished value claim would be harder. Given the used car Tesla market - and the accident history impact - I will be contacting a legal firm to pursue that.

Also I couldn’t find any references to “Tesla Repair Center” .. only saw Tesla owned/operated Collision Centers on their website

For now my plan is to initiate the process via Tesla App (Collision request), then file Insurance Claim and also hopefully in parallel pursue this via legal help.

Thanks for sharing the info

“Given that you mention the person that hit you originally tried to flee the scene, do they even have insurance?” — yeah they have State Farm (person of age was driving without DL his son’s pick up truck — he said he does not normally drive :))

I can’t imagine that diminished value claim would be harder. Given the used car Tesla market - and the accident history impact - I will be contacting a legal firm to pursue that.

Also I couldn’t find any references to “Tesla Repair Center” .. only saw Tesla owned/operated Collision Centers on their website

For now my plan is to initiate the process via Tesla App (Collision request), then file Insurance Claim and also hopefully in parallel pursue this via legal help.
Tesla collision centers is what I was talking about. Dont bother calling a service center unless its also a collision center.

A friend backed into my parked M3 while doing about 15 mph last year here in MA. I took it to a Tesla Service Center and they gave me a list of 6 Tesla Authorized collision centers. You should definitely NOT go to anyone who isn't authorized by Tesla. First I called my insurance agent and told them about the accident. My car was drivable so I called the Tesla Authorized collision center in Worcester, which was closest to my house. I made an appointment for several days later. They did the estimate while I waited. It took about an hour. The estimate came to $6206.00. My insurance company sent their estimator to our house about a week later and his estimate was just over $3000. From what I have been told by several sources, that discrepancy is pretty much standard because insurance company estimators only report what they can see. Long story short: the collision center was busy and I had to wait about 3 weeks to bing the car in. Once they had it, it took another 5 weeks or so to order the parts, receive the parts and fix the car. Final cost was just over $9200. My insurance paid the whole thing and my premiums didn't go up because it was my friend's fault. The car is as good as new and I am totally satisfied with the work done.

Reactions: AJ..
I'm curious about "body repair" or collision work that is done. Do these folks also cover the sensitive sensors/cameras and what not of technology that goes into Teslas? Is it safe to use Autopilot (like before accident) ? I heavily rely/use autopilot on much crowded highways, lanes here. Not sure if there is anything I can do to ensure quality of Autopilot remains the same as before accident. Would "Collision Center" or "Body Repair" centers cover that as well (as needed, quite likely with squished front and back since it was Ford pick up truck that rammed in). TA!

I'm curious about "body repair" or collision work that is done. Do these folks also cover the sensitive sensors/cameras and what not of technology that goes into Teslas? Is it safe to use Autopilot (like before accident) ? I heavily rely/use autopilot on much crowded highways, lanes here. Not sure if there is anything I can do to ensure quality of Autopilot remains the same as before accident. Would "Collision Center" or "Body Repair" centers cover that as well (as needed, quite likely with squished front and back since it was Ford pick up truck that rammed in). TA!
A Tesla authorized collision shop will definitely take care of any damaged sensors. In my case, the entire front bumper and the crash cans behind it had to be replaced. They also replaced the sensors in the bumper. I don't have FSD, but the car's traffic aware cruise control and auto steer worked just as well after the collision as before it. I don't know if a non-Tesla approved place would do that or do it as well...perhaps, but I wouldn't want to take a chance on it

All great info - thanks to all those who chimes in.

I had 2 questions if anyone can add on please -
1. Is there a difference between Tesla Collision Center and Tesla Approved Body Shop/Collision Center? I believe Tesla CC can be Tesla owned/operated vs totally 3rd party garage that has Tesla equipment/training to carry out the repairs. How can I find Tesla CC around me? (skipping Tesla Approved/Certified CC). Their site listing does not differentiate between the two.

2. Who may be best online provider for quote on selling this car (I wanted a quote like before and after accident somehow, to get an impartial sense of loss of value due to this not-at-fault accident). I think Carvana, Carmax are the two that stand out (?) - any recent experiences on better quotes will help immensely.

TA!
Best Regards

I took my car to Wagner Collision in Worcester. They are a Tesla authorized collision center, which means there people have been trained by Tesla in body work and repair. I don't know where you live in CT, but if Worcester isn't too far, I highly recommend them. When I first brought my car there, I could see several BMW's and even a Lamborghini waiting to be repaired. I just googled "Tesla Authorized collision centers in CT" and several came up but I think you should check with a Tesla Service Center to see who they recommend.