Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not automatically connecting to iPhone hotspot when not on Premium Connectivity is bad for Tesla Brand.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To have to pay $10 to have internet automatically connect to the car is negatively impacting my perception of the Tesla brand.

I absolutely love everyting about my car except that every time I get in it I have to press buttons to connect to my phones hotspot. Not to mention having to answer tech support calls from my wife every tgime she gets in it.

The amount of money for the service doesn't bother me, what bothers me is the fact that what should be a seamless operation is purposely hobbled to force users who want simplicity and already have access to a service on their phone to pay an extra monthly fee. It makes me feel a bit gross inside if I am to be honest. A profile should automatically connect to the phone hotspot when its detected.

So instead of adding a laziness tax that makes users feel crap, here is an idea, add something that is valuable that makes the $10 per month worth paying. Access to other mapping systems for example. Access to Waze or Google Maps I would understand paying a monthly fee for, or what about an automatic log booking system for business users, or maybe customisable layouts of the dashboard. I would pay good money for all of these.

Reactions: Stijn_NL
When you setup the wifi profile did you select the option for it to stay connected when in drive?

From the manual: Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Hotspots and Connectivity
You can also use a mobile hotspot or your phone's Internet connection via Wi-Fi tethering (subject to fees and restrictions of your mobile carrier) to access the internet. To remain connected to Wi-Fi when shifting into Drive or Reverse, choose the connection from the Wi-Fi settings screen, then touch Remain connected in Drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: schen72 and Alan903
To have to pay $10 to have internet automatically connect to the car is negatively impacting my perception of the Tesla brand.

I absolutely love everyting about my car except that every time I get in it I have to press buttons to connect to my phones hotspot. Not to mention having to answer tech support calls from my wife every tgime she gets in it.

The amount of money for the service doesn't bother me, what bothers me is the fact that what should be a seamless operation is purposely hobbled to force users who want simplicity and already have access to a service on their phone to pay an extra monthly fee. It makes me feel a bit gross inside if I am to be honest. A profile should automatically connect to the phone hotspot when its detected.

So instead of adding a laziness tax that makes users feel crap, here is an idea, add something that is valuable that makes the $10 per month worth paying. Access to other mapping systems for example. Access to Waze or Google Maps I would understand paying a monthly fee for, or what about an automatic log booking system for business users, or maybe customisable layouts of the dashboard. I would pay good money for all of these.

I have the same issue.

Stay Connected = ON

Each time I get into my Tesla M3SR, I have to go to the WiFi screen and bring up the Hotspot screen on my iPhone 11 Pro, wait for my Tesla to connect to the Hotspot - very annoying to say the least! And at times, my iPhone Hotspot does not show up for a while.

Can anyone help please?

Reactions: Stijn_NL and OahuJC
This might be an iPhone hotspot issue. FWIW, it stays connected to my home wifi without issues. When I use my wife’s hotspot, it disconnects after a period
Of inactivity or out or range (power save software functionality). I have to manually search for it to connect.

I have the same issue.

Stay Connected = ON

Each time I get into my Tesla M3SR, I have to go to the WiFi screen and bring up the Hotspot screen on my iPhone 11 Pro, wait for my Tesla to connect to the Hotspot - very annoying to say the least! And at times, my iPhone Hotspot does not show up for a while.

Can anyone help please?
I have the same issue with my Model 3 (M3SR). Here are the settings:

- iPhone 11 Pro's Hotspot = ON
- iPhone Hotspot / Allow Others to Join = ON
- Tesla Touchscreen WiFi Settings / Remain Connected in Drive = ON

What happens:
- Tesla M3SR connects to my Home WiFi automatically, as soon as I am home
- It stays connected solidly so long as it is parked at home
- As soon as I drive out, it disconnects from the Home WiFi (understandably) and the music stops playing
- After fiddling with the Personal Hotspot screen on my iPhone a few times, it connects to the Hotspot
- Once connected to the Hotspot, it stays connected solidly for the entire trip

Question:
- Why does it not connect to my Hotspot when I drive out from home (and it is no longer connected to the Home WiFi)?

It does not connect because the iPhone does not allow implicit automatic Personal Hotspot connection. It must be explicit, I.e., you must manually connect to it. Because Personal Hotspot is a serious battery drain it cannot be left on like your home wifi.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
It does not connect because the iPhone does not allow implicit automatic Personal Hotspot connection. It must be explicit, I.e., you must manually connect to it. Because Personal Hotspot is a serious battery drain it cannot be left on like your home wifi.
From what I have read on the blogs and Apple Support Pages, I need to have the following turned ON (which I have) as below:

1671418978318.png

When I go to my MacBook / WiFi, I am able to see the SSID of my iPhone Hotspot. This leads me to believe that my iPhone is broadcasting the Hotspot at all times, to all devices.

1671418920530.png

Hence, I am confused when you say that iPhone does not allow implicit Personal Hotspot connection.

Please help...

I have the same issue with my Model 3 (M3SR). Here are the settings:

- Tesla Touchscreen WiFi Settings / Remain Connected in Drive = ON

What happens:
- Tesla M3SR connects to my Home WiFi automatically, as soon as I am home
- It stays connected solidly so long as it is parked at home
- As soon as I drive out, it disconnects from the Home WiFi (understandably) and the music stops playing
- After fiddling with the Personal Hotspot screen on my iPhone a few times, it connects to the Hotspot
- Once connected to the Hotspot, it stays connected solidly for the entire trip

Question:
- Why does it not connect to my Hotspot when I drive out from home (and it is no longer connected to the Home WiFi)?
I called Tesla Support @ Singapore and this is what they have to say (see below).

I find this reply strange simply because even if I switch to Park (P) when I am away from my Home WiFi, it still does not detect my iPhone Hotspot and connect to it :(

1671423714682.png

Using a combination of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, compatible Apple devices discover each other and offer connections (Hotspot, Airplay, AirDrop) but does not activate. This is why your Mac can see your iPhone’s Hotspot SSID but will not connect because it not broadcasted only discovered. Ditto for Apple’s Airplay to your TV or Airdrop to another Apple devices. Discovery is automatic, connecting is not. Bluetooth connections on the other hand, are automatic.
If the Tesla was an Apple compatible device you would simply connect to the discovered SSID from the console, and the iPhone would enable Hotspot and accept the connection. Currently you have to manually enable the hotspot and then select that SSID from your Tesla console.
I would not be surprised if someone comes up with a workaround.