Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not charging at 72 a from hpwc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks.. Brand new model S... I had ordered the 72 amp upgrade. Also got HPWC installed at home.
Plugged it in for the first time and it is getting 48amp from HPWC.
Is this an HPWC installation issue or some setting I need to turn on?
Pic attached

Attachments

• 20160611_144520.jpg
    20160611_144520.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 147
Folks.. Brand new model S... I had ordered the 72 amp upgrade. Also got HPWC installed at home.
Pic attached

Did it charge at 72A before you left the Delivery Center?

Check your breaker or perhaps settings on your HPWC.

Pic attached
I don't mean to offend you, but have you tried to increase the charge amperage on the charge screen and it maxes out at 48? Normally it's grayed out if it can't go any higher and in your photo it looks like the up/down arrows are active.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I don't mean to offend you, but you've tried to increase the charge amperage on the charge screen and it maxes out at 48? Normally it's grayed out if it can't go any higher and in your photo it looks like the up/down arrows are active.

I didn't look at the photo before I responded to query... @Boatguy is right... It looks like it's set for 48A... You can fine tune that to what the car sees as the max available.

You probably just need to adjust it but do you have anyone else with a 80 amp Tesla that can check your charger for you? I installed mine for my Model X and it only reported 48 amps too. I had a neighbor test their dual charger Model S and it charges at 80 amps.

Called Tesla and they said they put the wrong charger in my car (note I have a 15xx VIN Model X). So this week it gets swapped out for a new charger.

You probably just need to adjust it but do you have anyone else with a 80 amp Tesla that can check your charger for you? I installed mine for my Model X and it only reported 48 amps too. I had a neighbor test their dual charger Model S and it charges at 80 amps.

Called Tesla and they said they put the wrong charger in my car (note I have a 15xx VIN Model X). So this week it gets swapped out for a new charger.
Swapped out? I thought Tesla recently said it was a software change to go from 48A to 72A, not different hardware.

Swapped out? I thought Tesla recently said it was a software change to go from 48A to 72A, not different hardware.
I asked three different groups in Tesla about this and they all stated my car needs to have the charger swapped. I suspect since my VIN is so low for production, that the first chargers were either 48 or 72. Later they must have decided to only source the 72 amp ones and derate them unless you pay to have it unlocked.

Hi folks.. The Dallas delivery center did not have 72 a.
At home... The up arrow key does not take the amps any higher than 48.
Dip switches were checked again by the install guy. Looks correct. See pic.

Looks like the software thing never got enabled for me... Unfortunately I do not know anyone with a 72amp model S or X.

Attachments

• 20160613_115336_1465836817497.jpg
    20160613_115336_1465836817497.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 116
Hi folks.. The Dallas delivery center did not have 72 a.
At home... The up arrow key does not take the amps any higher than 48.
Dip switches were checked again by the install guy. Looks correct. See pic.

Looks like the software thing never got enabled for me... Unfortunately I do not know anyone with a 72amp model S or X.
I'm having same issue. Brand new model s, upgraded charger, new hpwc, dip switches set correctly and 100 amp fuse.

Last edited:
Did you all contact the 24 hr support line to report your problem? At least one person stated after they did this with a Model X it was activated the following day. When I did that is when they came back to me and had the SC contact me to explain I needed the charger swapped. It may be different for all of you.

I called the number last night. The guy said he does not see the 72 amp upgrade in the car specs on his end. Said he would create a ticket for the service center and they will get in touch.
Someone probably forgot to turn the option on in the factory......

Did you all contact the 24 hr support line to report your problem? At least one person stated after they did this with a Model X it was activated the following day. When I did that is when they came back to me and had the SC contact me to explain I needed the charger swapped. It may be different for all of you.

I contacted them as well. They confirmed the 72 in the specs and sent the issue forward to the service center. I also contacted my DS and he is looking into it as well. I'll let you know what my outcome is.

yikes... I'm going on a trip soon and have a hotel booked with a destination charger as they are far from a supercharger i hope it charges at 72 or I will be pissed, I have no way to test I almost feel like I should call the support line to confirm!!