Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not charging at 72 a from hpwc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I spent 4 hours at the SC today and got the upgrade, 72 now shows on my charge screen... I did hassle them quite a bit about it... "there supposedly was a service bulletin about this.... someone else was able to have the change made over the air by there SC and 30 min later they had the charger etc..." Suffice to say I had a good time hanging around watching and chatting with the flow of people as they came in for there new S and X deliveries!

In the end they told me mine was the first they had done... to which I replied how many have you sold with the high amp charger that don't really have it even though they paid for it... My guess is they will be doing a lot of these now and hopefully they won't take so long for the next guy or gal!!

Well I spent 4 hours at the SC today and got the upgrade, 72 now shows on my charge screen...

Too confusing!

It sounds like this feature can be enabled over-the-air which makes perfect sense such as when in the past, 60kWh owners could get Supercharger upgraded over the phone.

However, the over-the-air process to enable 72A feature seems to has not been communicated to Service Centers.

Update:
Finally had my long awaited appointment and now I am more confused than ever
1. Took the car in. They looked at it and said that everything is configured exactly the way it should be and I should be enabled for 72 Amps. They said they did not change anything
2. They pointed back to HPWC at home and said to eliminate that I need to find a public charger that does > 48 amps and see what the car does. Dallas service center does not have 72 amp chargers yet
3. Took the car to a mall that does 56A...and the car did take 56A charge in.
4. Brought it home and guess what....Now it charges at 72Amp at home as well.

So not sure what fixed the issue..........no clue.....they said they did nit fix anything....I have no paperwork from the appointment and now all of a sudden it is working!

Correction: Did get service paperwork by email this morning.

Update:
Finally had my long awaited appointment and now I am more confused than ever
1. Took the car in. They looked at it and said that everything is configured exactly the way it should be and I should be enabled for 72 Amps. They said they did not change anything
2. They pointed back to HPWC at home and said to eliminate that I need to find a public charger that does > 48 amps and see what the car does. Dallas service center does not have 72 amp chargers yet
3. Took the car to a mall that does 56A...and the car did take 56A charge in.
4. Brought it home and guess what....Now it charges at 72Amp at home as well.

So not sure what fixed the issue..........no clue.....they said they did nit fix anything....I have no paperwork from the appointment and now all of a sudden it is working!

Weird seems like something was changed whether or not the service center made the change or possibly Tesla themselves pushed out an update to fix the effected cars without notifying the service center or owners.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
When I got my X back in January, it would only charge at 48 the first night. I called the SC the next day and asked them if mine had the higher charger in it or if I had a setting wrong or just broke it. They said that I would get the higher charging capability that day because they had to send an OTA update to activate it. That day I got a notice for an update, loaded it and then the X charged at the higher amperage. It has been charging at that amperage since then consistently.

Yes... I have had 2 Ota updates since I saw the issue but the car never charged at 72 A at home earlier.

Since Service Center said they did not do anything with it so it it wasn't them.

And you did have an over-the-air firmware change, so it's just a process of elimination of who dun it!

Did you manually dial your Amps up to 56A at the mall or did your car increase from 42A to 56A without your intervention.

How about at home, did you also manually dial your Amps up to 72A or the car just increases from 42 to 56 to 72A automatically without your input?

Maybe someone in corporate went through the recent orders and double checked all cars that paid for the 72A charging option and made sure it was properly configured to avoid service calls. The SC might not have known this was happening.

Hi Tam... In both cases I did not touch anything and the car started charging on its own at 56 and 72.
It could be the case that this was fixed before I took it in with an OTA and I never noticed. The wait for the service appointment was 2 plus weeks and I stopped looking and assumed it was broke.
That may explain it....

Since Service Center said they did not do anything with it so it it wasn't them.

And you did have an over-the-air firmware change, so it's just a process of elimination of who dun it!

Did you manually dial your Amps up to 56A at the mall or did your car increase from 42A to 56A without your intervention.

How about at home, did you also manually dial your Amps up to 72A or the car just increases from 42 to 56 to 72A automatically without your input?