Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not charging in cold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't had my Tesla connector installed yet so I'm just trickle charging at the new house that I'm at. Unfortunately I seem to be gaining "0 km/hr". Is this due to the cold (currently -15 Celsius) or is there another reason? Yesterday at the house it seemed fine.

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-18 at 15.31.39.jpeg

It's fine. All available power is used to heat up the battery to prep for charging. Since you are using 120v 15A it may take a while.

If it ever gets enough power to both heat the battery and charge. At -15C (which an online calculator tells me is 5 degrees Farenheit), its entirely possible that there may not be enough power to heat the battery for charging, and charge.

The Tesla Model Y will warm the battery by drawing power from the high voltage battery, sending a special power wave through the motor stators to generate heat. The warm motor coolant is sent to the battery coolant loop. Once the battery temperature is at or above ~41F then charging can commence. Each motor stator draws ~3.5kW while warming the battery. You can see how a 120V/12A charging setup (1.4kW) is not going to be able to supply the roughly 7kW that is used to warm the battery pack. The 120V/12A setup can charge the battery but charging time may extended by ~50% or more due to having to warm the battery (perhaps multiple time over the charging session.

I hit the same today. Tried free supercharging at 65 degrees and the car went from 50-52% over 25 minutes. I gave up.
Did you enter the Supercharger as the destination in the Tesla Navigation system? That would initiate Preconditioning for Supercharging while the Tesla Model Y is being driven to the Supercharger. This happens only while the Tesla vehicle is being driven, using Tesla's Navigation system, to the Supercharger location. (Does not Precondition for Supercharging while parked.)

Did you enter the Supercharger as the destination in the Tesla Navigation system? That would initiate Preconditioning for Supercharging while the Tesla Model Y is being driven to the Supercharger. This happens only while the Tesla vehicle is being driven, using Tesla's Navigation system, to the Supercharger location. (Does not Precondition for Supercharging while parked.)
No. I used the lithium app as a beta tester. Probably a mistake.