Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not comfortable with lane auto assist [autopilot]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not comfortable using lane auto assist. Evidently Tesla wants to center the car in the middle of the lane, and I prefer to drive slightly to the right of center, especially with oncoming trucks. Especially disconcerting when I’m driving in my usual lane position and turn on lane assist, it jerks the steering left, toward oncoming traffic. I’m not a fan. I wish the lane position was something I could customize.

Use it on divided highways and it‘s great. Technically Tesla only recommends it be used there and it does adjust lane position to move farther from trucks going the same direction.
I agree that it would be nice if it was biased to the right on two lane roads and I usually don‘t use autosteer on them.

I’m not comfortable using lane auto assist. Evidently Tesla wants to center the car in the middle of the lane, and I prefer to drive slightly to the right of center, especially with oncoming trucks. Especially disconcerting when I’m driving in my usual lane position and turn on lane assist, it jerks the steering left, toward oncoming traffic. I’m not a fan. I wish the lane position was something I could customize.

The manual explicitly states that feature is intended only for use on divided, controlled access, highways which don't have oncoming traffic.

Reactions: Hbrink
I have repeatedly had the same issues as noted above when driving on country roads. Lane assist pushed me toward oncoming cars and toward large boulders by the side of the road (I live in the Granite State....there are lots of large rocks by the side of some roads). It apparently cannot distinguish between cracks in the road and shadows of trees, electric lines on the road vs. a painted line on the road. Very disconcerting when it happens, which is often.