Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not driving for a week. Keep plugged in or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going on a business trip tomorrow for a week so I will be leaving my MS at home. The question is should I leave it hooked up to my NEMA 14-50 the whole time I'm gone or leave it disconnected? The car will probably have about 80% SoC when I park it tonight. I think I read somewhere that it's recommended to leave it plugged in but just want to make sure.

...should I leave it hooked up...

From your Owner's Manual:

"About the Battery

Model S has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR Model S PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model S for several weeks. When plugged in, Model S wakes up when needed to automatically maintain a charge level that maximizes the lifetime of the Battery.
There is no advantage to waiting until the Battery’s level is low before charging. In fact, the Battery performs best when charged
regularly.

Note: If the Model S Battery becomes completely discharged in a situation in which towing is required, the owner is responsible
for towing expenses. Discharge-related towing expenses are not covered under the Roadside Assistance policy."

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I'm currently away for a week, and I left the car parked in my underground spot unplugged with less than 40% SOC, and I'm not worried. Yes it would be better to have it just plugged in, but I live in a condo with two shared EV stations... so not cool to do so.

However, if it was "several weeks" I would for sure take steps to be able to leave it plugged in and checked that no one had come along and unplugged. Like getting a neighbour to water your plants, I guess.

I often leave car for weeks. Sometimes months. For stored car, the best thing for your battery is to keep close to 50%. That is not in the Tesla documentation, but is clear consensus of battery scientists. So, before I leave I try to be around 50% but not critical as vampire drain will eventually get you there. Then I set slider to 50% and leave charge time at midnight to get best rates. Every few days I get alert that car took a sip.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I often leave car for weeks. Sometimes months. For stored car, the best thing for your battery is to keep close to 50%. That is not in the Tesla documentation, but is clear consensus of battery scientists. So, before I leave I try to be around 50% but not critical as vampire drain will eventually get you there. Then I set slider to 50% and leave charge time at midnight to get best rates. Every few days I get alert that car took a sip.
any level between 20% and 80% would be fine

.. Every few days I get alert that car took a sip.

Really? I never knew it would do that... Nice!

I'm a snowbird and will be leaving my S75D for 3 Months!! NOW what would you do?
I assumed just leave it plugged in and go south. None of that "Power Off" stuff or anything?
Also, the car will probably spend some very cold time, dormant, in the garage with temps around 0 degrees F.
Thoughts?

I'm a snowbird and will be leaving my S75D for 3 Months!! NOW what would you do?
I assumed just leave it plugged in and go south. None of that "Power Off" stuff or anything?
Also, the car will probably spend some very cold time, dormant, in the garage with temps around 0 degrees F.
Thoughts?
I would set to 50%, plug in, and leave it. It will want to warm the batteries, I believe.

Thoughts?
just plug it in and all should be well, your biggest concern should be the tires getting squared off