Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not Eligible for DMV Online Renewal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my DMV paperwork to renew my registration for my 2021 Model X and when I tried to pay online and renew the registration the DMV said this vehicle is not eligible for online renewal. Has anyone had the same experience?

You can renew your registration online if:

You have access to the Internet.
You have a valid credit card, debit card, or checking account.
You know the last 5 digits of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or the Hull Identification Number (HIN) for your vehicle or vessel.
You have insurance for your vehicle OR you are registering a vehicle that does not need insurance (like a trailer).
DMV has electronic smog certification information for your vehicle on file.

Did you fail your smog test?

You can renew your registration online if:

You have access to the Internet.
You have a valid credit card, debit card, or checking account.
You know the last 5 digits of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or the Hull Identification Number (HIN) for your vehicle or vessel.
You have insurance for your vehicle OR you are registering a vehicle that does not need insurance (like a trailer).
DMV has electronic smog certification information for your vehicle on file.

Did you fail your smog test?
These requirements are likely state specific. OP is in CA and you’re in ME. Which state’s website did you pull that from? Likely CA. Judging from your number of posts, you probably already thought of that. I didn’t check myself because:
1) I’m lazy, and
2) I’m not from either state so these requirements wouldn’t apply to NY.

Last edited:
These requirements are likely state specific. OP is in CA and you’re in ME. Which state’s website did you pull that from? Likely CA. Judging from your number of posts, you probably already thought of that. I didn’t check myself because:
1) I’m lazy, and
2) I’m not from either state so these requirements wouldn’t apply to NY.
I think it was supposed to be a funny post... you know Tesla failing smog check....
Back on topic, I have no idea why OP can't renew online. I have been renewing online for all my cars forever here in SoCal.