Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not enough Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So where would we put chargers to link Adelaide and Perth?

At the same locations that already have 3 phase power outlets supplied by the the TOCA/AEVA partnership, at this moment the gaps are no more than 225kms ( plugshare needs updating).
These locations have no shortage of generating capacity, enough to keep up with peak tourist times plus reserve in case of a generator shutdown ( I've seen 4 x 200kwh generators in one shed) it's now got to a stage that offsetting much of this diesel use with solar and batteries has long term financial benefits it's just a case of the each business "wising up".
The main problem is convincing locations that EVs are on the way and its time to add electric car charging to their business plan.

Point taken. I am just mapping the points from Adelaide to the border. WA members would have a better idea of what is needed on their side.

Looking at towns and density, the current format of superchargers (i.e. location, form factor, charge rate, etc.) will be suitable for as far west from Perth as Norseman, and as far east from Adelaide as Ceduna. They seem to be the largest towns on either end of the Nullarbor. It's the gap in between where Tesla will probably need to come up with a different design. It will need to deal with a few different conditions:

- Low or poor power capacity (use batteries to buffer)
- Dirty diesel power supply (use solar)
- Low traffic (create a two stall site)
- Damage (no eyes on the site most of the time, a vandalised or faulty charger may not be reported to Tesla for some time)
- Poor comms (be fault tolerant of slow or intermittent satellite)
- Minimal activities around the charging site (will need to manage expectations)

A lot of these could be handled - in a very expensive manner - by having a secure garage/building that needs a security code (displayed on dash) to enter, with a small air conditioned lounge + food/drink vending machines). It could even be earth sheltered to reduce cooling costs and make it less conspicuous. But I would hate to think how much that would cost.

Reactions: Attica04
Looking at towns and density, the current format of superchargers (i.e. location, form factor, charge rate, etc.) will be suitable for as far west from Perth as Norseman, and as far east from Adelaide as Ceduna. They seem to be the largest towns on either end of the Nullarbor. It's the gap in between where Tesla will probably need to come up with a different design. It will need to deal with a few different conditions:

- Low or poor power capacity (use batteries to buffer)
- Dirty diesel power supply (use solar)
- Low traffic (create a two stall site)
- Damage (no eyes on the site most of the time, a vandalised or faulty charger may not be reported to Tesla for some time)
- Poor comms (be fault tolerant of slow or intermittent satellite)
- Minimal activities around the charging site (will need to manage expectations)

A lot of these could be handled - in a very expensive manner - by having a secure garage/building that needs a security code (displayed on dash) to enter, with a small air conditioned lounge + food/drink vending machines). It could even be earth sheltered to reduce cooling costs and make it less conspicuous. But I would hate to think how much that would cost.
Would make sense to have superchargers at service stations.
That would reduce vandalism risk and give drivers something to do while waiting.
Then need solar and batteries to do a clean solution.

Servos at:
Cocklebiddy Google Maps (427km from Norseman)
Eucla Google Maps (273km from Cocklebiddy)
Yalata Rest Stop Google Maps (288km from Eucla, and 205km from Ceduna)

Other options are:
Nundroo servo, near Yalata
Nullarbor roadhouse, between Eucla and Yalata

Yalata Rest Stop Google Maps (288km from Eucla, and 205km from Ceduna)

Yalata was closed down & abandoned when I passed through there last year.

I was advised by someone @ Tesla that they aim for gaps of 160km-250km between superchargers.

With that in mind I would put the Nullarbor superchargers at:

Code:
Balladonia     191km from Norseman
Caiguna        181km from Balladonia
Madura         156km from Caiguna
Eucla Hotel    182km from Madura
Nullarbor RH   197km from Eucla
Penong         225km from Nullarbor RH
Poochera       210km from Penong
Kimba          174km from Poochera
Port Augusta   158km from Kimba

All of the above have three-phase power available (as a potential backup to a self-contained Tesla solar+powerpack+supercharger setup) and there are three-phase sockets available for charging right now (on PlugShare) in all but Caiguna & Madura, but these will soon have them as well thanks to the efforts of AEVA WA and Synergy.

Great information, Model 3 ordered but if an S comes up used for a good price, may switch. I really want to do a round Australia trip and be interesting to see how much of the supercharger network has expanded at this time.
Get an S and go @Attica04 ! You'll be waiting a loooong time for a supercharger network right around Aust, so if you want to go soon-ish you'll need to get into the 3 phase mindset anyway which is a great way to travel. You find yourself really engaged with the community round you as you go to these outlets and talk to people about EV's. Superchargers will definitely detach you. In a couple of months the route will be quite usable with just a handful of isolated 15 amp spots which is no problem at all.

You could be the first EV ever to go round with no support vehicle, no generator and no non-standard charging devices (like my Octopus!).

It says 32A but is that single phase? The current UMC can do 32A single phase with a Blue Euro Tail.

NEMA 14-50 & 6-50 are single phase, 208V or 220V, 50A (but limited to 40A for "continuous draw")

There aren't any three-phase sockets in the U.S., and no Model 3s outside the U.S. at this time. We'll have to wait for them to start deliveries in Europe to find out what three-phase adapters they come with.

Thanks Richard McN yes it will be sometime before Superchargers are up across the middle of and North of Australia. Using 3 phase is no issue just be curious to see how much of the network is in place by the time I either get a M3 or pull the trigger on an S. Still need to convince the other half who is now wanting to wait for the Model Y (more of an SUV person). However, I may go slowly insane if I have to wait another two years or more. Oh wait.........

Thanks Richard McN yes it will be sometime before Superchargers are up across the middle of and North of Australia. Using 3 phase is no issue just be curious to see how much of the network is in place by the time I either get a M3 or pull the trigger on an S. Still need to convince the other half who is now wanting to wait for the Model Y (more of an SUV person). However, I may go slowly insane if I have to wait another two years or more. Oh wait.........
Hmmmm - waiting for a RHD model Y.

You could always get a second hand S85 RWD with dual chargers and huge front boot to fill the gap. The perfect round Aust touring machine.

Reactions: Attica04
I'm hoping to go around Australia winter 2018 in my rather modest S75 RWD. Just lining up friendly passengers/co-drivers. Am I crazy?
Definitely go for it @wilsilly !

With @Dylanpete 's recent work (soon to be posted on Plugshare) the Round Australia Charging Route (TOCA/AEVA project 300km max spacing, 200 avg) is already quite usable with only a handful of gaps which you can easily cover on 15 amps.

@Blue heaven is definitely right. Presently the route has a pioneering feel, with 3 phase outlets in all sorts of locations, and you end up connecting with the community a lot more.

Good luck ! How many co-drivers will you have ?

Last edited: