Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS replacement boot strut issue - not Gen 2 Configuration??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the boot struts changed a few weeks ago on my July 2014 S. It's an early car. Then the boot height adjust wouldn't work as it would only open to half height which wasn't very good. It woudn't chime when you held the button in to set it higher and would beep 3 times when you tried to close it if you messed with the height at all.

I took it into Tesla and 'not Gen 2 configuration' is the reason they gave. I tried to get a sensible answer as to what exactly it means but the person on the desk started talking about the Type 2 charging as they also have a Gen 2 charger and this seems to cause confusion.

I also had that reason mentioned when I had bother with the SD cards being corrupted and updates not installing. SD cards were swapped 3 times in all. The car has been updated to MCU2 before I got it. I updated it to CCS last August. I adjusted the height ok before the CCS update but never bothered checking such things after.

The reason is the same. It's not configurered correctly as Gen 2 then configuring it as Gen 2 fixes it with no explanation of what Gen 2 actually is.

Maybe the title of your thread isn't making a connection with Model S potential readers who understand your issue. The present title could refer to a number of things that are not Model S related. If you can get a mod to add Model S to the thread title it might mean some other owners will have a look.

Thanks. That would make sense.

@srichards Don't own a model S but did subscribe for free to the Tesla Service Manuals the other day. You can do that here:

In the 'Power Strut - Liftgate (Remove and Replace)' page it mentions the requirement to update the Gateway configuration to set the type as 'Power Lift Gate Strut Type = Gen 2'

1653146519441.png

This suggests to me that when your struts were replaced they were replaced with the 2nd generation/version of that part. One of the computer modules in the car needs to be updated to be told that you have Gen 2 struts and not Gen 1 (revision -A or -B) struts.

Suggest raising a service request to ask Tesla to finish the installation job, as per the guidance on this page:

I had a quick search for GEN 2 with SD Card but couldn't find anything on that - suggest you sign up and have a good look through the service manual for that particular issue.

Hope this helps and good luck getting it resolved.

Last edited:
Reactions: ben_c and srichards
@Medved_77

Thanks. Luckily it all works now as I went to Tesla service and they changed the configuration.

I found that service manual page before but didn't scroll down far enough to actually see the very thing I was looking for! I will have to scour the service manual more carefully :)

Reactions: Medved_77