Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not getting any software updates??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up our new Model Y a few days ago. It is on 2021.3.106 and no software updates yet despite selecting Advanced option for updates and confirmed connection to home WiFi.
Yeah, I got my car with 2021.3.105 and no updates. The one person I found that got a car with 2021.3.104 also has no updates. I wonder if there is something different about the newest cars?

EDIT: Took Delivery of a LR 3 on July 31st and the 104 guy took delivery a week or so prior. I know it's supposed to take a few weeks to start getting updates, that guy is coming up on 4 weeks with a known major update rolled out the entire time.

Yeah, I got my car with 2021.3.105 and no updates. The one person I found that got a car with 2021.3.104 also has no updates. I wonder if there is something different about the newest cars?

EDIT: Took Delivery of a LR 3 on July 31st and the 104 guy took delivery a week or so prior. I know it's supposed to take a few weeks to start getting updates, that guy is coming up on 4 weeks with a known major update rolled out the entire time.
My observation from the never-ending stream of posters with this exact issue is that when a release is ready, they assign the list of VINs that are eligible to that release number as part of the rollout. You won't get an update until your car is through the quarantine period, and then it'll get added to the list for the NEXT release that it's eligible for (based on whatever arcane criteria they use - miles, color, number of letters in your last name, hardware config, etc). People don't seem to get their recently-delivered cars updated mid-rollout.

Just adding my voice out of frustration. I watch you tube videos that show the latest updates and yet after weeks, not days, these updates have not been released to my Model3 sr. Is this because I choose a less expensive vehicle?
Did you not just read ANY of the posts in this thread? NO. The software rollouts happen over days/weeks. Sometimes the are rolling out x.x.1 and then then a couple of days later (presumably because they found a bug), they stop rolling that one out and start rolling out x.x.2 and you'll get that one without ever having had x.x.1.

Sometimes you will be one of the first, sometimes you will be one of the last, most of the time you will be in the middle of the pack. There also seems to be some period of time after you first take delivery of the car until it's "in the system" and you start getting the updates.

The bottom line is, you have no control over it. Tesla has a process by which they roll out software and all we know is what we've gathered over the years by observing. Your car will get the updates destined for your car.

The rules:
  1. Someone will always get whatever version before you. Always.
  2. You will get the software update before some others. Always.
  3. You will not get every version you see posted. Some are not for your car, or US cars, or only X's, etc..
  4. You will get through this.

Last edited:

I have 2021.3.104. No updates in 3 weeks of ownership.

Reactions: bet_america
I keep mine set on standard because I don't want to deal with a buggy update. All of my updates have been really stable. Been getting updates about every 3-4 weeks. I don't mind waiting for the new features. Just wanted to add that there are weirdos that like to keep it on standard 🤪

Did you not just read ANY of the posts in this thread? NO. The software rollouts happen over days/weeks.

Does nobody even read this thread before saying that they, too, are experiencing the same thing literally every new owner does?
no - nobody reads existing threads or searches for anything.
Its a truest sign that EVs are hitting a wider audience.

@Twiglett , I believe you're right. I notice a similar trend on local facebook groups. People don't read previous posts, they don't check the faq, they don't do a search, they just ask. And from the questions they ask, they have clearly not "done their homework" as we typically have done.

You know what? I think it's fine, and we must get to global adoption. That's why things must become simpler. I see it as my job to help those people, keeping my explanations simple to not overload them. They can get gory details when they ask for them... I try to stay nice.

Reactions: boaterva and Joe_B
Did you not just read ANY of the posts in this thread? NO. The software rollouts happen over days/weeks. Sometimes the are rolling out x.x.1 and then then a couple of days later (presumably because they found a bug), they stop rolling that one out and start rolling out x.x.2 and you'll get that one without ever having had x.x.1.

Sometimes you will be one of the first, sometimes you will be one of the last, most of the time you will be in the middle of the pack. There also seems to be some period of time after you first take delivery of the car until it's "in the system" and you start getting the updates.

The bottom line is, you have no control over it. Tesla has a process by which they roll out software and all we know is what we've gathered over the years by observing. Your car will get the updates destined for your car.

The rules:
  1. Someone will always get whatever version before you. Always.
  2. You will get the software update before some others. Always.
  3. You will not get every version you see posted. Some are not for your car, or US cars, or only X's, etc..
  4. You will get through this.
5. Hold my hand.

Reactions: queenamydala
I see 2021.3.x is popular but out of curiosity anyone get version 2021.11.x on their new car? I was expecting 3.something but somehow mine isn’t as far behind as I was expecting, theoretically anyway. Minimum follow distance is still 3 so it doesn’t seem fundamentally newer than the other ones in that sense.

Last time I got a new version within a few days of delivery (which immediately bricked my car but that’s a separate thing) so we’ll see how long it takes this time…

Reactions: bet_america