Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not getting enough miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
we have been on the following trips so far and here are the numbers

1) destination 80 miles but car consumed 150 miles
2) destination 98 miles but car consumed 130 miles

Mine is a 75D Model X bought brand new 4 weeks ago.

Why this discrepancy especially when the 237 rated miles factor in acceleration, AC/heater etc? Thanks

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl
Could be caused by many things.
Something wrong with your car.
Elevation change.
Traveling at speeds higher than 60 mph.
low tire pressure.
Driving through rain or snow.
Not being smooth on the throttle.
Agressive driving or showing off.
Jack rabbit starts.
Not allowing regen to slow you down and using brakes instead.

Some people get more than the rated range and others less.

Try driving someplace at 60 mph with the cruise engaged. See what you get.

• Helpful
Reactions: Joelc and Rocky_H

Why this discrepancy especially when the 237 rated miles factor in acceleration, AC/heater etc? Thanks

Probably should specify more info ..using 22s ? Heater on ? Speed ?...those numbers don’t surprise if u have bigger wheels are using heater and driving faster than 75 +

I too have a 75D. First things first, throw 237 out the window and look a litlte bit more on your wh/mi. That's going to be your mpg equievlant. The higher the usage, the lower your range. Use more electricity (ie, give motors more juice/accelerate; use more heat, wipers, radio) all of it adds up and reduces range.

1) 80 miles over 150 miles = 53% I estimate you were using about 604wh/mi
2) 98 miles over 130 miles = 75%. I estimate you were using about 426wh/mi

If you're on 22's, #2 is pretty normal. If it's cold or if you're driving higher speeds (70mph+) then it's normal on 20's as well. Your consumption on 1) isn't though; I see those numbers when I'm towing. So some more information would be helpful (ie, uphill? weather? etc.)

The rated range is at 320wh/mi. I've seen over 1000wh/mi while towing and 250wh/mi while taking it easy (That means I've been able to get as little as 75 miles of range and as much as 300 miles of range.) Speed and aerodynmics are the single largest factor, followed by heavy electrical usage associated with HVAC for the battery and passengers - specifically heating in cold weather.

• Helpful
Reactions: P85_DA and Rocky_H

Where are you?

Acceleration is a factor, but not a big one. General aggressive driving and especially frequent hard braking is a factor.

Initially cooling or especially heating the cabin is painful, after that HVAC is usually a fairly small factor.

A frozen battery pack sucks a lot of power while the car is warming it up, but once warm driving in cold weather is a fairly small impact.

High speeds eat a lot of power, especially once you get over 70-75.

Net elevation change can either help or hurt by quite a bit.

Yes I was always on 70+ for both 1 and 2.

We have 20” wheels.

For 1) we were going up the altitude gradually
For 2) it should be flat or same level

I still feel disappointed that the rates miles range doesn’t factor in 70 mph speeds and regular acceleration etc.

Yes I was always on 70+ for both 1 and 2.

We have 20” wheels.

For 1) we were going up the altitude gradually
For 2) it should be flat or same level

I still feel disappointed that the rates miles range doesn’t factor in 70 mph speeds and regular acceleration etc.

I find altitude makes a *large* difference. By that I mean rising in overall elevation, not going up and then back down. But then even if you have significant elevation change, when averaged over 100 miles it shouldn't be so significant unless it extends much of the trip. I returned to the Tennessee plateau from the South Carolina coastal areas and got much poorer mileage in the section where I came up the Appalachian mountains. The sections of the trip before and after climbing the mountain were fairly normal.

Reactions: BlueRidgeksky

Actually I am on here right now because I feel like I am having similar issues. Average wh/mile is about 320-350. I am very light on the gas, on stock 20’s, in Socal perfect weather. No heater, light AC. I recently took it into the shop for some body panel alignment. Was in the shop for two weeks, but prior to that it was much better than it is now. I have no idea why or what I should do about it.

Actually I am on here right now because I feel like I am having similar issues. Average wh/mile is about 320-350. I am very light on the gas, on stock 20’s, in Socal perfect weather. No heater, light AC. I recently took it into the shop for some body panel alignment. Was in the shop for two weeks, but prior to that it was much better than it is now. I have no idea why or what I should do about it.

320-350 is not bad for X ;)...

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I got 75d for 3 wk now brand new, here my battery experience, temperature out 80 degree and ac on 74, I consumed 20% more meaning 200 miles battery gives me 160. If my ac off whe. The temperature drop to 71 it gives me 197 out of 200, I got 2000 miles already and and run it every day it gave me the same result , all another factor are normal, acceleration, up and down , normal driving city and highway 50/50, but I can tell AC is a big major factor

Another reason to switch to state of charge percentage rather than miles.

I don't follow. Knowing there is x percentage charge left tells me little toward knowing if I will make it to the next electron pump! That's the bottom line. I keep track of the remaining miles on the battery vs. the remaining miles to go. I can tell if they aren't going down together and make a note to tell if I need to adjust the prediction. If the indicator only gave percentage how would I compare at all?

The calculated mileage in the "energy" display will be all over the map based on recent history and is not so good for predicting range.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I don't follow. Knowing there is x percentage charge left tells me little toward knowing if I will make it to the next electron pump! That's the bottom line. I keep track of the remaining miles on the battery vs. the remaining miles to go. I can tell if they aren't going down together and make a note to tell if I need to adjust the prediction. If the indicator only gave percentage how would I compare at all?

The calculated mileage in the "energy" display will be all over the map based on recent history and is not so good for predicting range.

We have the same MX, As you've discovered, the rated miles vary widely due to multiple factors like climate, speed and elevation changes. The SOC% is the energy you have available and I've found it to be accurate between charging stops. I travel between NJ and Delaware once or twice a month (about 210 miles). I use navigation and the charge percent is consistently within 1% + or - when I arrive at my destination. Just a suggestion, changing to percentage helped my range anxiety.