Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not getting firmware Updates!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting a tesla firmware update push notification is like x-mas morning for me! Always eager to see what new improvements and enhancements come with it.

However, I have not been getting any notifications or updates to my model s since .34 -- it wasn't till I went to service that they told me that the current build is .42

I always knew there were updates happening, but i kept thinking maybe they have not pushed it to the entire fleet. When I went to service, they told me that .42 is was already pushed to entire fleet.

Which begs the question - how come i never got any notification??? even my screen did not show that an update is pending.

Any ideas? thoughts?

It has been said that a failed update can sometimes clog things up and stop the next update from coming.

Apparently they have no notification for that type of situation.

What did service say when you asked them?

BTW - I watch this for some idea of when firmware is released. http://firmware.teslafi.com Now it is just stragglers on the lower firmware version. Either they didn't get it or decided to not install it.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Yes, Brkaus is right, last week I just received my update for camper mode etc. And every one else had this download except for my car , I also was getting concerned somehow the down load signal did not for low signal or other factors was not able to be received but just before I was ready to call , it downloaded to system. What's that phrase . "Patience is a virtue" . I know this is very frustrating for you. Do you remember or know how long along you did receive the last update? PS when you went down to service center , did they Check your VIN number, that also has major role possibly that happen? If any problems with your build model could have some effect on this download version to your car. Sometimes the most obvious things overlooked by service dept.

Last edited:
Software updates lately have been... meh.. if I get it fine. Nothing so great to wanna bust doors down to get..

"Chill" anti-acceleration feature... woo hoo! This is so not asked for over the pending list of "fix this stuff" instead.

And people have figured out how to make their own exit / entry profiles. Now that Tesla has gotten ahold of it and will do it automatically... it won't work the right way at the right times.. and we'll shut it off. Like using smart pre-conditioning anyone, anyone?

But I hear you, maybe there should be button under the T logo in release notes that says "Check for updates now.." Let people help Tesla by declaring when their car is getting good clear signal and is ready to receive.

Oh ya, that button should be right beside another button, which is "Revert to previous version" .... because the thing you just received is not ready for prime time... Back, back, back... OMG I'm at V6.2 again... Ahhh.! that's better.

Reactions: apacheguy
Software updates lately have been... meh.. if I get it fine. Nothing so great to wanna bust doors down to get..

"Chill" anti-acceleration feature... woo hoo! This is so not asked for over the pending list of "fix this stuff" instead.

And people have figured out how to make their own exit / entry profiles. Now that Tesla has gotten ahold of it and will do it automatically... it won't work the right way at the right times.. and we'll shut it off. Like using smart pre-conditioning anyone, anyone?

But I hear you, maybe there should be button under the T logo in release notes that says "Check for updates now.." Let people help Tesla by declaring when their car is getting good clear signal and is ready to receive.

Oh ya, that button should be right beside another button, which is "Revert to previous version" .... because the thing you just received is not ready for prime time... Back, back, back... OMG I'm at V6.2 again... Ahhh.! that's better.

Maybe it's been meh for classic and AP1 cars, but certainly not for AP2 cars like the OP. .42 and .34 are night and day for AP usage. If I were stuck on .34 I would be pretty miffed about it too.

(FWIW, I only got my .42 update a little over a week ago… so it's not just the OP. And that's with continuous wifi connection too. There's more of a lagging tail on recent update pushes compared to before)

If you are concerned you aren't seeing releases, you should contact either the local Service Center or the Tesla phone support line and have them check the logs for your car.

I did this in September, and they reported my car (during Harvey) failed to install and update - and the server had removed it from the update distribution list. The only way to fix the problem was to take my car to a service center or have a mobile service van force the update.

There was no indication on the console display or with the smartphone app that an update had failed, so if I hadn't called, we probably wouldn't have received any updates until we took our S 100D in for the 12,500 service.

I did that, and now seems to be getting updates again.

Tesla really needs to clean up the release distribution process, provide release notes prior to installation, put more information in the release notes so we know what has actually changed (and what they know still isn't fixed), provide notifications to users that an update will be coming to their cars, and, even better, allow owners to initiate the download/installation.

Though since we haven't seen any improvement in this process (we have an early VIN Model S), it would be surprising to see Tesla change this process in the near future... Model 3 owners may not be as tolerant about this random software distribution process...

• Informative
Reactions: daud
I'm still on 32.6 with strong wifi in the garage. I called in earlier this week and they said there was nothing in the logs preventing updates being sent to the car.
Did you ask them how to get the update "staged" to your car (ASAP)? I just had my car in for service (squeaked when going over speed bumps). While there I said I had been getting updates on a regular basis but had not received .44 which came out recently. And, the last two updates got a error message that even though it completed it said it did not. Anyway, the first person that checked my car said they would "push" the update while it was there to verify it completed ok. I was monitoring my car while there (took three days) and it was not updated on the first day so I ask the second person why and she said it would be "staged" to happen at my house. I said if you stage it how will you see the error if it comes up? She said, OH... we will just "push" it while it is here. Which happened that day. I did not get the same alert that it had a problem and they did not mention anything so not sure what happened.

The reason for the details is if I was not getting the updates I would absolutely be pro-active and get my car updated.

If you go to a Service Center they will update it on the spot. I once stopping in to buy a charger cable and a technician came out with a laptop and updated the firmware. He said whenever an owner stops by for whatever reason, they like to update firmware as a courtesy. Maybe it was slow day.

I did ask to have it pushed, but they said I would just have to wait until it's my cars turn. :rolleyes:
I have gotten 5 updates since I got my car on 9/28/17. .38, .40, .42, .42.1, 44. So, that should tell you that what you were told is simply not true. Something else is absolutely going on with your car.

Unless you did not spend $5,000 on EAP or you never use EAP why would you except a big part of your car value is simply not available to you. To me I would just schedule a Service Appointment even if I had to drive 1 hour away. Of course if you could get them to drive to you I would do that. Maybe once you schedule the appointment the service can stage an update for you. But whatever, you deserve to have your car fixed.