Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not getting OTA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I just got my Tesla several days ago and it's currently on software version 2020.35.101. I am unable to pull the latest update. My questions are:

1. I haven't seen 2020.35.101 on teslafi, does anyone have any info on it?

2. Is there anyway to force the update? I did sign up for the advanced option.

Thanks all.

Hi all,

I just got my Tesla several days ago and it's currently on software version 2020.35.101. I am unable to pull the latest update. My questions are:

1. I haven't seen 2020.35.101 on teslafi, does anyone have any info on it?

2. Is there anyway to force the update? I did sign up for the advanced option.

Thanks all.

1. As mentioned, new cars seem to come with a firmware version from the factory that is slightly different than "in the wild" versions.

2. no, not really. You "could" submit a help ticket to request tesla send the update to you, but they will only do so if your car is already flagged for the update. New cars tend to get updated after delivery from 1 day to about 3 weeks, so you just have to wait.

Also, as a point of information (since you are a new owner), not only is there no real way to force an update, I can guarantee you that you will NOT get "every" update version you see on teslafi or any other firmware reporting service. Not every update will be flagged for your car, and it is very common for a car to skip update versions.

Basically, they come with they come (updates) and in general you will get at least 1 update every 4-6 weeks, or sooner.

Make sure you have your WiFi set, having full bars signal is optimal but 3 bars is also fine, go on your app to service then look for software, they should send it within 4 hours in most cases.

Note: to check your WiFi, go to your browser and type Speedtest.net and give that a try, it will be slow so don’t worry about that as long as it works, you should see 30-50mbs download speeds and around the same or higher in the upload speed.

Fred

• Informative
Reactions: SlimJim
I'm very frustrated with this. My car is running the same version and Fallout Shelter, Stardew Valley, and Cuphead all say "waiting for update". I opened a ticket and the technician tried to get the games to install but was unable. He worked on it all day and eventually gave up saying I'll just have to wait until my car pulls a "real" update. Pretty crappy that I have to wait weeks to use a feature that came with the car.

• Funny
Reactions: smatthew
1. As mentioned, new cars seem to come with a firmware version from the factory that is slightly different than "in the wild" versions.

I wonder if the dealership has any control over this when prepping for delivery? When I picked mine up on delivery day it already had the latest update (at that time), then a couple days later 36.10 was available, then this past weekend 36.11 was available.

I'm very frustrated with this. My car is running the same version and Fallout Shelter, Stardew Valley, and Cuphead all say "waiting for update". I opened a ticket and the technician tried to get the games to install but was unable. He worked on it all day and eventually gave up saying I'll just have to wait until my car pulls a "real" update. Pretty crappy that I have to wait weeks to use a feature that came with the car.
My car is at the sc now to fix some of the issues seen at delivery. They told me they would update to the latest. But I did not get any OTA in the first two weeks.

Quick update: still no OTA and that's after a service center visit, who claimed I was up to date.

What version are you on? There’s no way to push an update to your car except the service center but if they said no then tough *sugar*.

If you just got your car, as in less than 30 days you’re still in the limbo area. Patience, keep the car plugged in and connected to wifi is all you can do, seriously it will come.

Take a look at the attachments below, this is just a small sample of the Model 3 fleet. I added my list of updates over time, as you can see sometimes it takes awhile. 2020.40.3 isn’t amazing by any means.

Attachments

• 93B96783-FD02-4E55-998D-6F6B666C1989.jpeg
    93B96783-FD02-4E55-998D-6F6B666C1989.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 88
  • A3014BC7-E368-4233-BD64-CDB3AAABBD96.jpeg
    A3014BC7-E368-4233-BD64-CDB3AAABBD96.jpeg
    924.7 KB · Views: 49
What version are you on? There’s no way to push an update to your car except the service center but if they said no then tough *sugar*.

If you just got your car, as in less than 30 days you’re still in the limbo area. Patience, keep the car plugged in and connected to wifi is all you can do, seriously it will come.

Take a look at the attachments below, this is just a small sample of the Model 3 fleet. I added my list of updates over time, as you can see sometimes it takes awhile. 2020.40.3 isn’t amazing by any means.
I'm on 2020.35.101

I think my concern was I know 2 others who were in the same version as me and got the update within days. I am still within the 30 days but as are they. Hoping I get that OTA soon but the service center not being able to update it left me not feeling confident.

Last edited:
I'm on 2020.35.101

I think my concern was I know 2 others who were in the same version as me and got the update within days. I am still within the 30 days but as are they. Hoping I get that OTA soon but the service center not being able to update it left me not feeling confident.

The Service Center probably just forgot to do it and they don’t want to log back into their computer to push it. The “I’m not on the latest update” is the most annoying thing for the service people, they have so much actual work to do and they are constantly bother by people who read about something on the forums or Electrek.co or some Elon Musk tweeted... you can see how they just don’t give a F anymore.

You’re better off buying Tesla stock and being concerned about when you should sell it for max profit, that’s a better use of your time

There might also be some new hardware in newer cars that doesn’t have the software support in the main code stream.

But, unless you have a serious problem like the car won’t charge, I simply wouldn’t worry about it. It’s not going to be life changing.

The Service Center probably just forgot to do it and they don’t want to log back into their computer to push it. The “I’m not on the latest update” is the most annoying thing for the service people, they have so much actual work to do and they are constantly bother by people who read about something on the forums or Electrek.co or some Elon Musk tweeted... you can see how they just don’t give a F anymore.

You’re better off buying Tesla stock and being concerned about when you should sell it for max profit, that’s a better use of your time
My car was in the service center for other reasons. They advised they will update the firmware.

The service center has been pretty awful at fixing my issues actually. They had my car for 8 days and they solved 1 issue, made one worse and didn't even touch another problem they said they would fix. This is not counting for the OTA update either.