Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not getting paint protection film for your Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depreciating yes, like all cars. However that's your car, and getting just a partial IMHO is well worth it. Simple as original non chipped paint does hold better value than a car with chips so if your the type that doesn't keep your car long it will help in resale, or if your a long term owner still a good idea. It's a really nice car, spent good money treating yourself so why aren't you keeping just a little nicer by a one-time cost?

Reactions: mjp462
Had a chance to do that test drive yet?

Yes, sorry, works great. After the 3M spray film dried I got out on the road and observed the sensors all around as traffic moved passed me, and as I parked near car bumpers it read me off the inches to go.

I should have known it would, people wrap their cars in film all the time.

Unfortunately, I got worried right after applying the spray and feard that if I didn't cut the perimeter before it totally dried it would tear. I was running the x-acto knife around the rim of the sensors when I realized I was seeing the color under the paint. So I stopped, but I will see that damage EVERY time I look at the back of the car. Kids, don't use knives on your Tesla...!

-Randy

I'm not doing it. As I've said in other contexts, it's a car, not the Mona Lisa. If you own the Mona Lisa you need to keep it behind glass, away from the sunlight, maybe in a bank vault. This is a car. It's only value to me is that it's transportation without gasoline. (And for me, in the Pacific Northwest, with all our hydro, zero carbon emission.)

Protective coatings will prevent rocks of a certain size (or more properly, a certain energy and shape) from damaging the paint. Under a certain size, they won't hurt the car anyway. Over a certain size they'll damage it even with the coating. The calculation is: What's the likelihood of damage compared to the cost of repair and the cost of the coating? I don't know the actual numbers, but I've been driving almost 50 years, and I don't see the calculation coming out in favor of spending money on paint protection.

For some people (and I am not criticizing, just noting) it's important that the car look beautiful, and a coating can help with that. For me, a car is transportation.
I'm going into this expecting it to be the last car I'll ever purchase. I've done "sensible transport" already, for a number of decades. Never so much as pin striping or bling or whatever. I'm going Liberace YOLO on this MOFO.** :cool:

** To the extend that is me. Which is simply a full colour wrap on a colour I find pleasing. Got a line on a good one that'll only cost me about $2K net because of going basic black, then I'll tint because I live sun-adjacent. I might plasti-dip the aeros, too, if an interesting idea strikes me but sticking to 18" for range because, ah, well I guess you can't entirely escape a lifetime of habit.

P.S. I'll feel kinda sheepish if somehow it doesn't turn out that this is my last but that'll be OK, too.

Last edited:
Yes, sorry, works great. After the 3M spray film dried I got out on the road and observed the sensors all around as traffic moved passed me, and as I parked near car bumpers it read me off the inches to go.

I should have known it would, people wrap their cars in film all the time.

Unfortunately, I got worried right after applying the spray and feard that if I didn't cut the perimeter before it totally dried it would tear. I was running the x-acto knife around the rim of the sensors when I realized I was seeing the color under the paint. So I stopped, but I will see that damage EVERY time I look at the back of the car. Kids, don't use knives on your Tesla...!

-Randy
Are you happy with the 3M spray? I read a review on Motortrend earlier today and it was positive but said it will need to be removed after a period of time. The spray scares my wife a bit....

I was also thinking of ordering the front bumper and hood kit from this place, 500 for the kit. Car Protection Pros - Automotive Clear Bra Kits

I'm going into this expecting it to be the last car I'll ever purchase. ...

I'm thinking just the opposite. Car technology, like the computers today's cars are made of, will continue to advance rapidly. I expect to own this car for less time than any other car I've ever owned but two*. I expect Tesla to have something so much better than this in 5 years that I will want to upgrade. Unless you are very near the end of your driving life, I'll bet you will too. I also expect that when FSD finally reaches the consumer market, the best implementations will use many more and some different sensors than the Model 3 has. Maybe they'll kludge something that works with the present sensors, but I will want the first FSD car I can get, and I will want a car that has the absolute optimum sensors, and we won't even know what that is until the software is mature.

* My first car was an ancient Jeep that died almost immediately. And I only had the Zap Xebra for 4 years. Other than that the only cars I've ever owned for less than 12 years are the Roadster, 7 years old now and listed for sale, and the Model 3 itself which I just got.

I'm thinking just the opposite. Car technology, like the computers today's cars are made of, will continue to advance rapidly. I expect to own this car for less time than any other car I've ever owned but two*. I expect Tesla to have something so much better than this in 5 years that I will want to upgrade. Unless you are very near the end of your driving life, I'll bet you will too. I also expect that when FSD finally reaches the consumer market, the best implementations will use many more and some different sensors than the Model 3 has. Maybe they'll kludge something that works with the present sensors, but I will want the first FSD car I can get, and I will want a car that has the absolute optimum sensors, and we won't even know what that is until the software is mature.

* My first car was an ancient Jeep that died almost immediately. And I only had the Zap Xebra for 4 years. Other than that the only cars I've ever owned for less than 12 years are the Roadster, 7 years old now and listed for sale, and the Model 3 itself which I just got.
When FSB comes, is realized as a viable solution safer than nigh all human drivers? What use will I have for owning a car other than my trusty old hobby of "Gramps living in the past with his steering wheel, like a bloody savage"? ;)

On the "better vehicle comes along" front I did say that I buy. It have so delusion that it'll be the last bought in this household. I have a spouse that enjoys shinny things.

Last edited:
When FSB comes, is realized as a viable solution safer than nigh all human drivers? What use will I have for owning a car other than my trusty old hobby of "Gramps living in the past with his steering wheel, like a bloody savage"? ;)

On the "better vehicle comes along" front I did say that I buy. It have so delusion that it'll be the last bought in this household. I have a spouse that enjoys shinny things.

There seems to be a feeling in some quarters that the advent of FSD cars will lead to ride-share at a volume that will make private car ownership obsolete. I'm reminded of the prediction (made and seriously believed by many in the 1950's or 1960's) that nuclear power would make electricity "too cheap to meter."

There is ride sharing now. FSD cars will not change the economics. The owner will no longer be needed to drive his car, but there will still be times and trips when a ride share is not available, and there will still be delays, and most of the same motivations for owning your own car will still exist. Will a ride-share car take me from Spokane, WA, to Revelstoke, BC? I think the idea of always-available ride share from and to anywhere is a pipe dream. Yes, taxis and their unregulated counterpart of ride share will go driverless. But people will have the same reasons as now to own their own car.

I paid $800 for the paint repair and OptiCoat Pro install, this included Glassparency on the roof and all other pieces of glass, and some product described as ScotchGuard on steroids for the leather and fabric interior (that last bit was free because I got a referral).

After drying overnight the 3M spray film has dried and is now transparent:

View attachment 291536

From the front, it's almost impossible to tell it's there

View attachment 291535

Looking at the treated bumper next to the untreated hood you CAN tell a difference, but not bad considering this will help with bugs and rock chips.

View attachment 291537

It's obvious at the suns reflection that there is a film on the car, but for a $9 can I am extremely happy. Now to test drive it and see what the sensors think of the coating. If it doesn't work I can always remove it from the sensors with a toothpick.

-Randy

I tried the 3M Spray protection on a different car before and after spraying it looked decent but after a year it turn grayish. It seems that dust and dirt bonded to the 3M sprayed film. When I decided to remove it ...... it was super difficult.

GL

Well, that's in my future. I have had the spray on my Volvo for a year and guess it could be getting greyer. I will need to remove the film but that is expected, it's the sacrificial layer that can be inexpensively replaced. Better than having the paint repaired (I hope).

My Sprinter was PRISTINE when I got it and had a built-in bug deflector. I thought "Perfect, I don't need any other protection". Now, five years, two windshields, and a GIANT number of chips later I bought the Volvo. My experience made me decid to spring for the Cilajet to protect the paint on my second New car of this life.

Turns out the coating is great for bird poop, not so good on bugs and rock chips. After seeing the bug impressions I found the 3M and have been REALLY happy so far. It smoothed the front out so I could no longer see the ripples, but it is clear that there is film on the car.

Getting it off is supposed to be hard if you don't put on a TON of the spray. If it's too thin it tears. One hint I have heard people try, if they go to remove it and it's being a bear, just spray more on. I am going to try this with my RV that has a profession film installed by the manufacturer, but it's now 10 years old and cracked everywhere and impossible to remove... We'll see.

-Randy

• Informative
Reactions: devilmountain
How did you know about the NDA? smart man.. I called around and received quotes up to $1700 for the 7 year warranty/2 opticoat layers, which seemed ridiculous and I would have passed. It was hundreds less. The deal with not posting prices is similar to how some people get uptight over their VIN #. Both instances probably don't make a lot of sense. Yes yes one could argue that you could be tracked with VIN # and a $ amount on a service are not equivalent, but I'd rather post my VIN #9992 than post the actual price. Reason being, they gave me great service,I appreciate their professionalism, and I don't want them to be held to a promotional price since they just moved down here i.e. lowballed by forum members.

Then just say that from the jump. No need for anyone to play coy when discussing/promoting these services that cost thousands of dollars.

Then just say that from the jump. No need for anyone to play coy when discussing/promoting these services that cost thousands of dollars.

no one is playing coy.. I gave another options as I was considering ppf and paint protection. I've had ppf on my previous car, but decided against it this time and I explained the "ballpark price" when you pressed on it. I also went into detail on why I didn't post the price from the get go as they were doing a promo price.

For me it will come down to what color I pick. If I get a black model 3 then I will get the film and get a ceramic coating for the shine. If I get a white car, which is what I am leaning towards, then I will just get it ceramic coated to keep the shine as long as possible. The place I am going to get the work done at offers a 15% discount if I get 3 or more services from him in 1 visit which I was planning anyway.

For me it will come down to what color I pick. If I get a black model 3 then I will get the film and get a ceramic coating for the shine. If I get a white car, which is what I am leaning towards, then I will just get it ceramic coated to keep the shine as long as possible. The place I am going to get the work done at offers a 15% discount if I get 3 or more services from him in 1 visit which I was planning anyway.
I highly recommend getting at least the front bump covered with PPF. (It's not too expensive)Even if you do a coating. Just my opinion.
I got my full front end done with PPF. And did the coating myself.

Reactions: RyanS and Justmurr
I was getting my quote for a ceramic coating for a local guy with a great reputation who has already done a few model 3s ...which are still as rare as unicorns here on the east coast...I mentioned how I love the glossy look and the easy washing aspect with these coatings but when I also said how I hoped it would help with road rash on the front fascia because that was one of my biggest concerns with this car. The guy did a full stop and explained to me how, regardless of what you hear or read on the internet, ceremic coatings do not protect against chips or road rash. They can help avoid scratches and swirls but shouldn’t ever be expected to repel rocks or road debris.
He gave me a referral for his PPF guy and basically convinced me that I’m a PPF guy rather then a ceremic coating guy. I know you can do both but I’m not willing to spend the $$$. It’s one or the other for me.

He gave me a referral for his PPF guy and basically convinced me that I’m a PPF guy rather then a ceremic coating guy. I know you can do both but I’m not willing to spend the $$$. It’s one or the other for me.
Your guy was straight up and honest with you. Your guy could have taken your money and run, but he has integrity. You could do PPF on the front fascia and apply the ceramic coating yourself (many good videos on YouTube with instructions) and get the best of both worlds!

Reactions: Justmurr
@Justmurr that is correct, ceramic coating will not protect from rock chips though it will give it a nice shine and protect scratches. I was going to go the ceramic coating only if I get a while car. I figure the white pain would possibly hide any rock chips better than a black one would. If I get black, then I would do a full front end PPF application and then a ceramic coating on the entire car. The price difference of getting a black Model 3 plus PPF and Ceramic coating is about $100 cheaper than getting a white Model 3 plus Ceramic Coating and front bumper PPF.