Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not getting paint protection film for your Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sure you know PPF isn’t meant to protect from accidents... sorry. Had to say something. lol
Check out this vw golf R front bumper that got the bumper side swiped...

Paint Protection on Instagram: “Another AMAZED customer! Bumper impact☹️ Paint protection film scuffed Paint no damage No cost film replacement Customer ECSTATIC…”

Most people don't know to emphasize, but in city driving, ppf is great at protecting the corner of bumpers from severe impacts. It's not a miracle product, but it sure can take a good beating. Keep in mind that if someone hits your rear bumper (with ppf) hard enough from the rear (with their sharp license plate screws protruding), half the time it'll puncture the ppf & dent the paint.

A naive question:

Is the paint protection that I often read about on this and other threads, the same film that several years ago was frequently sold and applied to the hood and front facing surfaces of the mirror and front "bumper" of my Toyota? ( now I know you don't know what film was applied back then, but it was a clear film that was sold to protect the paint from bugs, and other flying debris).

Was considering a PPF on just the front, but now I am thinking its just not worth it. Have a 51k RWD White TM3. Throwing 2-7k into a PPF doesn't seem worth it to me.

What's the cost of a new bumper? At some point is it not cheaper/easier to simply replace the bumper 4-5 years down the road rather than coating the original one?

I am leaning more towards window tint + wrap console with matte black + DIY ceramic coating on paint (or some equivalent, need to do some additional reading).

• Informative
Reactions: geometro
I am sure once Model 3 production is up and running you can easily get replacement center console cover. They are usually cheap to replace.

My previous MS's center armrest wood trim was chewed up by my puppy. Ranger replaced it for a bit over $100.

I too never wrapped, used clear bra, or done ceramic coatings on any of cars. I usually keep my cars 3-5 years and never really regretted also.

Agreed, I think this makes sense. I was originally going to either wrap the console myself ($30) or pay someone to do it ($125). Considering that I can instead potentially just replace this fairly easily 2-3 years from now for most likely only ~$100, I think I will just leave the console as-is. Fingers crossed that Tesla also starts to produce OEM matte black console trim pieces - will simply swap them out !

Was considering a PPF on just the front, but now I am thinking its just not worth it. Have a 51k RWD White TM3. Throwing 2-7k into a PPF doesn't seem worth it to me.

What's the cost of a new bumper? At some point is it not cheaper/easier to simply replace the bumper 4-5 years down the road rather than coating the original one?

I am leaning more towards window tint + wrap console with matte black + DIY ceramic coating on paint (or some equivalent, need to do some additional reading).

PPF on just the front, especially if you are doing just the bumper, should be well under 2k ( not saying 2k grows on trees or anything ). Ceramic coating also will not provide any chip/rock protection.

I have the whole front done on our TM3. I have a partial done on our other car (Ford Flex) and while I don't hate it and it's better than nothing, if I were to do it over again, I would have the whole fender and hood done. It's a noticeable seam up close if you don't do a whole panel area and dirt between washes does build up at the seam. Both my cars are white so I can't speak for all colors but it's probably more noticeable on some colors.

Today’s wraps don’t dull the paint at all if you get a good one. I ended using a suntek film, and it actually seems to make the paint look shinier if anything. It really made our MSM S’s paint “pop” when we had it done.

So if it really does shine better will it make the back end look different than the front end if you don't do the full wrap?

Reactions: Coloradogramps
I know it's the first thing a lot of people get done and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Each to their own. However, I've never wrapped any of my cars (Model S, BMWs) and I've never regretted it. So I don't plan on wrapping my 3 either.

That said, I do plan on wrapping the center console just to prevent it from getting a ton of scratches. If Tesla ever releases a different option for the console (matte black for example), I'll just swap out the parts. Someone could make a good bit of money selling a replacement kit for the console. I'd be fine with the coated plastic that was in my S. Anything but gloss black.
Michaels’ fabric store has 1x1 vinyl cutouts for $2 each ( 6x total for you to do the entire center console). I bought this and wrapped it myself and it looks 10x better.

If you do a good job, great. If you do a bad job. Then you only wasted 2-6$ which is ok. Way better than buying the $30 kits and risk ruining those

Edit: here is my center console done with those sheets. They’re Oracal Vinyl Asher’s 651 matte black. I missed a couple spots on mine but the job looks good at the glance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Thanks for this. That does look 100% better and at that price I won't be worried about screwing up. That's what has kept me from attempting it. I think I've found a project for this weekend.
Good luck man, ive learned that this vinyl can’t be applied wet like other kits. It has to be done dry, but you can lift up and re apply to get rid of bubbles. The cup holder portion You may need to make a cut on one of the sides. For the life of me, I couldn’t get a perfect wrap without making a slit to remove extra

It appears, a lot of Tesla owners have a conscience regarding their carbon footprint they leave behind. Which is really refreshing to see compared to other brand vehicle forums.

So what is the environmental impact of all this plastic. Or whatever this indesctrucrable non biodegradable material is?

Case in point. For example I was about to get an addition to my house insulated with closed foam. Great R factor. But the closed foam propellant is nasty stuff. Really bad for the environment. I’m waiting for some new water based closed cell that is just coming to market.