Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not getting software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! I have an X100D that was shipped to the showroom at the end of may. My software is still on 2018.12 - is this normal? Does Tesla roll out updates in a staggered fashion, or am I supposed to physically do something?

My car has solid LTE signal at the house and is connected to my wifi, though it's not the strongest signal at the garage. I also am never plugged in at home, as I have charged exclusively at my local supercharger the past month.

Thanks for the help!

This is normal. Updates roll out over days to weeks, and not every car gets every update. You don’t need to do anything, when an update has downloaded there will be a message on the screen about installing it. You can’t miss it.

You can follow the progress of updates here, and add your info:
www.ev-fw.com

Reactions: MattMatt
If it makes you feel any better I’m still on 10.4.

I’m connected to strong WiFi every night and my router shows that the car downloads about 22.6 meg each day when I get home. I’m looking forward to getting off of this build. The existing set of bugs are getting a bit dated ;)

X75D, AP2.0, Subzero package. I'm on 2018.12 with new Nav. Called Tesla and asked why I don't have 2018.16. They said 2018.16 has a bug with the heated steering wheel - so they will not push that to my car. I have to wait for the next release.

• Informative
Reactions: cantbechanged
2018.12 only came out a few weeks ago. Are you sure that was your current version? If so, you’re all good!
Otherwise it can take ages to get updates. No one gets every update, only every third or fourth, but it’s very random.

I’m connected to strong WiFi every night and my router shows that the car downloads about 22.6 meg each day when I get home. I’m looking forward to getting off of this build. The existing set of bugs are getting a bit dated ;)
You may have a car problem. Tesla diagnosed a faulty door sensor that aborted updates. Once they replaced it, I got 15 updates!
Ask them to check your car remotely.

I wasn't able to get updates for over a month and when I called the SC, all they could see was that my vehicle was online, but they couldn't collect any data from it nor was it sending any data to Tesla. I also couldn't connect to my vehicle via the app. The rover service ended up doing a 12volt reset that cleared all the issues. (took about an hour) I promptly received 2 updates and everything has been working fine ever since.

You would think a 12V reset would be a simple DIY thing. I guess they needed to physically disconnect the 12V battery (which is not a simple DIY thing necessarily)?

You would think, but based on my research it would require removing multiple panels to access the battery. That screams warranty void to me, and they offered to come to me, so I figured just let them take care of it.

You would think, but based on my research it would require removing multiple panels to access the battery. That screams warranty void to me, and they offered to come to me, so I figured just let them take care of it.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that you should have done all of that yourself. I was just saying that the reset should be something simple that they can have you do from the driver's seat or that they can do remotely via software. I guess not.

I see the same thing, still on 10.4 and my car seems to download ~20MB or so each day. I haven't called Tesla about it since I figured they're busy enough and I've seen a number of posts about being stuck on 10.4 but after reading this thread it makes me wonder if something is preventing mine from updating. Before 10.4 I received new builds pretty early, almost always before ev-fw reported 100 updates. I'll give it a little longer but if I'm not updated in the next build or two I might call them.

LOTS of people are on 2018.12, including yours truly. :D Only a month ago? Nothing... As you're seeing, people are on tons older releases. You could call the main support number when it's quiet in California (early on the weekend their time) and ask for them to check your car's logs. But there's probably nothing wrong. If you had gotten nothing since Santa/HoHoHo (2017.50.x), then I'd start worrying.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that you should have done all of that yourself. I was just saying that the reset should be something simple that they can have you do from the driver's seat or that they can do remotely via software. I guess not.

No problem, I understood what you were saying. Unfortunately none of the known “reset” procedures worked, so it was decided by Tesla service and the Tesla engineers that a 12volt reset would be a good start. So far, so good. As I said once the reset happened, I got multiple updates, including ones that I believe were meant to fix bugs for the new MCU.