Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not getting software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last year our S 100D appeared to be stuck and not receiving updates reported by other owners.

I called Tesla's phone support and they determined there had been a problem with updating the firmware and our car had been moved to a "do not update" list on the server - and would not receive any updates until we took the car in for service and they could force an update to be installed.

This happened without any notification on the console display - so there wasn't any way for us to know this had happened. If we hadn't called Tesla, we wouldn't have received an update until our next service visit.

If you're stuck on releases earlier than 10.x, you should call Tesla and have them look at your car's logs - it's possible you are having a problem with failed updates.

Tesla really needs to provide owners more information and control over the software updates... Musk's promise of owners being able to request updates be installed is a first start - but there's much more they should do, such as providing release notes BEFORE the update is installed - and actually providing meaningful information in the releases notes on not only the major changes, but also minor changes & bug fixes, along with the major issues they are aware of that but not yet fixed.

Hi! I have an X100D that was shipped to the showroom at the end of may. My software is still on 2018.12 - is this normal? Does Tesla roll out updates in a staggered fashion, or am I supposed to physically do something?

My car has solid LTE signal at the house and is connected to my wifi, though it's not the strongest signal at the garage. I also am never plugged in at home, as I have charged exclusively at my local supercharger the past month.

Thanks for the help!
S/W updates just shos up on the main screen of your car and prompts you to do it or schedule a time to do it. Noticed you said you exclusively have charged at SCs - there is lots on the forums about this, but for maximum battery longterm health it is better to not always use SCs and only use them when needed for distance travel. Daily charging I would suggest charging every day you reasonably can up the the default 90% battery setting with and L2 charger. These forums taught me this as I had heard about rumors about healthy SC use so trying to pay it forward.

My car has solid LTE signal at the house and is connected to my wifi, though it's not the strongest signal at the garage. I also am never plugged in at home, as I have charged exclusively at my local supercharger the past month!
You’re being punished for using a local supercharger rather than plugging in at home. Local supercharging is for people without garages.