Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not Going to Make 2012?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's known that some cars don't pass quality control and are held back for reworking or in the worst case scrapped and a different car is started. I'd suggest that the later you get your car, the fewer problems you are likely to have.

I think the problem that Tesla has in communicating this kind of news is:

1. There isn't a good communications channel between the factory floor and the DS.

2. If told that their car is going back for major reworking, a lot of folks would say, "No, I want a good car".

Yes, but in the case of being held back for quality issues, you have a VIN, right? I was under the impression VINs were assigned as a body in white was tagged for your build and starts down the line. In our cases we have no VIN yet.

Brismyth - I feel for you. That's completely inexplicable in your case, and it's the inexplicability of it all that makes it so frustrating. Here's hoping your brother let's you take it for a spin or two while you wait.

I keep telling myself that's it's for the best, that I really didn't want a rushed car, that a 2013 will have higher Kelly Blue Book resale, and who knows, maybe Obama will get that $10,000 EV credit. I know, I know... that last one is a long shot, but it's what I need to get through these days and weeks of waiting. :)

I'm no trade in, no financing (at least with them). It's loaded minus paint armor. I said yes... and yet no VIN even though folks with higher Ps are getting VINs. I am in Atlanta, mind you, but so are several other folks now sitting with VINs and awaiting delivery.

I'll admit to being annoyed, but really my major emotion right now is curiosity: how exactly is all of this batching being done? I'm having a hard time seeing a pattern.

I think the bottom line is that Tesla is no doubt trying to do the best they can, but it's clearly not a science and whether you have a trade-in, financing, etc., likely doesn't matter like we think it should.

I'm Res # 5652, no trade-in, no finance, all the options except wheels, sound & jump seats, and i've gotten just "should be soon!" replies from my DS for a couple of weeks now. It is frustrating, but this is all new to us all - including the company - and so we'll all have to deal with it and look forward to having the cars in January sometime. Too bad - Christmas present thing felt soooooo likely a few weeks ago!

Brismyth - I feel for you. That's completely inexplicable in your case, and it's the inexplicability of it all that makes it so frustrating. Here's hoping your brother let's you take it for a spin or two while you wait.

I keep telling myself that's it's for the best, that I really didn't want a rushed car, that a 2013 will have higher Kelly Blue Book resale, and who knows, maybe Obama will get that $10,000 EV credit. I know, I know... that last one is a long shot, but it's what I need to get through these days and weeks of waiting. :)

Thanks. I know if I asked he'd let me keep it entirely until my car arrived, but I would never do that to him. I just feel it is an odd way to thank someone for actually selling their product for them. There seems to be a lot of scrambling and poor coordination. I don't know if they are trying to maximize Q4 only or just lining up 2x on what they could produce and anything that has a quality issue or otherwise, push it aside and focus on the ones that do not. I am definitely on board waiting if there are quality concerns, but I would love to hear that message. I am a big proponent on frank conversation, vs vagueries and non-answers.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm Res # 5652, no trade-in, no finance, all the options except wheels, sound & jump seats, and i've gotten just "should be soon!" replies from my DS for a couple of weeks now. It is frustrating, but this is all new to us all - including the company - and so we'll all have to deal with it and look forward to having the cars in January sometime. Too bad - Christmas present thing felt soooooo likely a few weeks ago!

Same here - and I am right there with you at 5566

who knows, maybe Obama will get that $10,000 EV credit. I know, I know... that last one is a long shot, but it's what I need to get through these days and weeks of waiting. :)

I've got that in the back of my mind too. I'm ok with waiting for my credit, because while I think there is only a 5-10% chance of it going up, there is less than 5% chance of it going away (these are just my own personal SWAGs).

Also, as an Illinois resident, I get a separate $4k credit which is not tied to the tax year. :)

Originally Posted by EarlyAdopter viewpost-right.png who knows, maybe Obama will get that $10,000 EV credit. I know, I know... that last one is a long shot, but it's what I need to get through these days and weeks of waiting. :smile:
I've got that in the back of my mind too. I'm ok with waiting for my credit, because while I think there is only a 5-10% chance of it going up, there is less than 5% chance of it going away (these are just my own personal SWAGs).

Also, as an Illinois resident, I get a separate $4k credit which is not tied to the tax year. :)

The $10K is not applicable to cars over $45K; they stay at $7500 max.

... I am definitely on board waiting if there are quality concerns, but I would love to hear that message. I am a big proponent on frank conversation, vs vagueries and non-answers.

Here's another theory - i wonder if the problem is with the Wall Chargers? Many of the folks i've read about who got VIN's also mentioned having installed NEMA outlets, but i ordered the wall charger and they only recently got the UL approval on those. Brismyth - did you get a wall charger?

I have my VIN (3182) and am only waiting for paperwork. My contact said they are backed up and my stuff got to them between Friday and Monday (21 to 24) and I might get the paperwork to electronically sign today or Monday, and I will have a 2012 'sale' if that is the case. Now I just have to figure out if I can finalize my loan without a MVPA with a VIN on it, but rather a VIN and MVPA separate.

My car has apparently been finished since mid last week.

He said it was possible to have the 'sale' this year, but wouldn't promise, or even suggest that it is likely. I don't think he has any idea how long the paperwork is taking.

Here's another theory - i wonder if the problem is with the Wall Chargers? Many of the folks i've read about who got VIN's also mentioned having installed NEMA outlets, but i ordered the wall charger and they only recently got the UL approval on those. Brismyth - did you get a wall charger?

No wall charger here, and no VIN. I don't think this would be something they'd hold up production for since it's an easy item to list "due bill" and ship later.

I have my VIN (3182) and am only waiting for paperwork. My contact said they are backed up and my stuff got to them between Friday and Monday (21 to 24) and I might get the paperwork to electronically sign today or Monday, and I will have a 2012 'sale' if that is the case. Now I just have to figure out if I can finalize my loan without a MVPA with a VIN on it, but rather a VIN and MVPA separate.

My car has apparently been finished since mid last week.

He said it was possible to have the 'sale' this year, but wouldn't promise, or even suggest that it is likely. I don't think he has any idea how long the paperwork is taking.

ELSupreme, just got my paperwork (P5320 and VIN 3094)- countersigned and tesla just signed. Emailed it my loan officer- lets see if I can get this done today. Looks like the Atlanta shipments will be happening very soon! I need this to happen for 2012- so I'll be bugging my loan officer this afternoon if I don't get a call soon.

ELSupreme, just got my paperwork (P5320 and VIN 3094)- countersigned and tesla just signed. Emailed it my loan officer- lets see if I can get this done today. Looks like the Atlanta shipments will be happening very soon! I need this to happen for 2012- so I'll be bugging my loan officer this afternoon if I don't get a call soon.

Only 90 more till me (assuming any sort of order to what they are doing). I am really hopeful. Right now my personal bank has given me the best rate, and are waiting for a final MVPA to give me a check (USAA is also but won't give me a decent rate anymore). I have done all the other legwork already. I am still trying to work down Wells Fargo to see if I can beat down my bank a little.

This gives me hope for a final MVPA today (even if it is late Pac time). That I can follow through with my loan tomorrow morning, or Monday.

I just got my VIN today (in my signature block) and I should have a final paperwork in the next few days (more likely mid-week next week). I have a pre-approval from Navy Fed so once I get the final paperwork I will just send the pre-approval check to Tesla with the information filled in and wire my downpayment.

It seems as though I am on target for my originally quoted mid January delivery (fingers crossed).

Ugh. I see that 3182 car is done but mine is still before assembly. I've talked to my DS who says that car should be getting through very, very soon. All paperwork signed and payed for. Just waiting on the car.

At least you have paid for the car. It should be easy to prove a sale in 2012 with your signed MVPA. I on the other hand can't send them money yet.

I did not get the wall charger.

As an update though, I think they listened to my logic (basically the same thing I posted here) and have told me my car is in the final stages of production and should be shipped out within days. So, great news for myself on that front.

Well today I got my final MVPA. I should be able so finish my loan and wire money tomorrow. Cutting it close.

I really hope all the Tesls employees get a little break after the new year. They always seem to be at work.

And yet there are literally thousands of customers with lower P#'s than you without cars that hope to hell the Tesla employees continue to work as hard as they have been :wink:

Got my VIN# 3314 on Sunday, DocuSigned and wired the money yesterday and got confirmation i was a 2012 Sale at 7:30pm on New Year's Eve - doesn't look like Tesla took much time off at all, probably had a New Year's celebration at the factory!

Just guessing by the VIN #'s, looks like it'll be close to 3500 vehicles for 2012 - not bad at all, probably be able to get back on track in the early half of 2013.

Got my VIN# 3314 on Sunday, DocuSigned and wired the money yesterday and got confirmation i was a 2012 Sale at 7:30pm on New Year's Eve - doesn't look like Tesla took much time off at all, probably had a New Year's celebration at the factory!

Just guessing by the VIN #'s, looks like it'll be close to 3500 vehicles for 2012 - not bad at all, probably be able to get back on track in the early half of 2013.

Is the tenth digit of your VIN a C or a D?