Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not Going to Make 2012?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a 15th-31st estimated delivery and no ViN. For those that are/were in this position, did Tesla reach out to you to reset your expectations? I've not heard a peep apart from my DS telling me there is no ViN.

"Tesla reach out to you" is an oxymoron. All information gathered from the company has been pulled from them kicking and screaming. The last time I spoke with my DS on the phone (12/28) he told me I don't have a VIN yet, but he also was unwilling/unable to give me a new delivery window.

"Tesla reach out to you" is an oxymoron. All information gathered from the company has been pulled from them kicking and screaming. The last time I spoke with my DS on the phone (12/28) he told me I don't have a VIN yet, but he also was unwilling/unable to give me a new delivery window.

While I'm sorry that's been your (and others') experience, I've actually gotten a fair amount of information from my DS unsolicited. For instance, he called me yesterday from his cell phone (he was actually off for the day) to give me an update on my delivery.

I don't know why some folks are having a better experience than others and why it seems like some cars just disappear for a couple of weeks. All I can tell you is that the people who've had similar problems with earlier cars have (as far as I know) all gotten their cars. You'll get yours too even though it sucks right now.

I just got my VIN today (in my signature block) and I should have a final paperwork in the next few days (more likely mid-week next week). I have a pre-approval from Navy Fed so once I get the final paperwork I will just send the pre-approval check to Tesla with the information filled in and wire my downpayment.

It seems as though I am on target for my originally quoted mid January delivery (fingers crossed).

Awesome! But I'm bummed (and catching up on the forum after being out of town for several days) . . . I'm almost 1000 lower than you at 8061, and I don't even have a VIN yet. ;-( Ah well.

Same boat, (no VIN, expired delivery window, zero idea of new delivery window). It's a very curious problem. I don't know who is in charge of these matters at Tesla, but I would think there should be one very simple rule for everybody at Tesla who has a customer facing role.

If you make a commitment to your customer, and you (for whatever reason) can't meet that commitment, pro-actively communicate and re-set expectations. There should be no exceptions to this rule. I'm sure the sig holders who went through this (times 10!) are rolling their eyes.. but I really thought they'd have their processes more together by now.

Venting here helps, just knowing other people are in the same boat helps, again, we're talking about weeks, I know.. it's not that big of a deal.

I agree that there should be better communications regarding delivery dates. I will likely need to rent a car for a period of time (~3 months) to cover the gap between my lease expiration on one car and the Model S delivery. So, knowing in advance and getting updates regarding delivery expectations will allow me to make those arrangements. I think this is a reasonable expectation. Hopefully by March-May, this will be even better.

Awesome! But I'm bummed (and catching up on the forum after being out of town for several days) . . . I'm almost 1000 lower than you at 8061, and I don't even have a VIN yet. ;-( Ah well.

That sucks and I hope that you get your car sooner rather then later. I was very surprised when my PS called and let me know that I have a VIN then a day later called to let me know that my car was actually DONE and if I could get the payment to them prior to 12/31/12 that my car would ship immediately. I got the money to them Sunday and my car was loaded and shipped 12/30/12 (same day).

My PS has been great and my DS has been great too. Hopefully this great communication will continue as the painful wait for my car to be delivered progresses.

I am in the final stages of waiting for my car and I can't complain at all about my buying experience. Tesla has either met or exceeded all originally stated agreements on price, prodcution, and delivery for me. Chalk this up as a good experience data point for Tesla production and delivery.

kendallpb
I'm in the same boat and just sent a note to Tesla (yesterday, the 1st) asking them to reset my expectations. Nothing back yet.

I noticed a broken red "Delivery" button last night and e-mailed my PS about it. It goes through 3-4 redirects and just takes me back to the My Tesla (Garage) page, but I'm hoping this means something good. . . . ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

That sucks and I hope that you get your car sooner rather then later.

Thanks, and . . .

I was very surprised when my PS called and let me know that I have a VIN then a day later called to let me know that my car was actually DONE and if I could get the payment to them prior to 12/31/12 that my car would ship immediately. I got the money to them Sunday and my car was loaded and shipped 12/30/12 (same day).

My PS has been great and my DS has been great too. Hopefully this great communication will continue as the painful wait for my car to be delivered progresses.

I am in the final stages of waiting for my car and I can't complain at all about my buying experience. Tesla has either met or exceeded all originally stated agreements on price, prodcution, and delivery for me. Chalk this up as a good experience data point for Tesla production and delivery.

. . . it sounds like things have gone well for you--I may be jealous but I'm also very happy for you! Another Model S in the area is always good. ;-) I'm living vicariously for now, LOL.

There seems to be a very wide disparity in the quality of personnel which really should not be surprising given the rate Tesla added people. My PS has been useful for one word - NO. I had an issue on trade in and the response I got to all options I put on the table was NO. I asked for my DS' contact information and then gave him a ring. His answer was "I think we can but let me make sure". He then got back to me and said they could not do the trade in but said they could do the MSO delivery (my second option). In short, he found a way to say yes to a customer.

My delivery date of 15th to the 31st has come and gone. My trade is with AutoNation, Tesla has the proceeds (my decision, not Tesla's) and the money for the car is sitting in my account. I write Deliveries asking them to reset my expectations and I hear back from my PS that I will likely not see a ViN until the end of January and the car in February. An hour and a half after getting the response from my PS, my DS leaves me a voice mail saying my ViN is in the next lot to be released which should be any day now.

The moral to all this for me is that Tesla is a new company. Personnel capability will vary with time in the job and quality of training/supervision. All of this is to be expected. I'll adapt and just put a bit more burden on my DS. I suggest finding the most knowledgeable and helpful person to deal with and then stick with them. Brandon is great for the South Florida area.

While I understand he frustration, I have to say that my DS has been fantastic. She called with daily updates and has been very helpful.

I got everything done on my end and my car didn't make it onto a truck. Didn't finish final testing in time. So looks like I get a 2013 sale, and get to try to monkey with my withholding next year. And ended up buying my car 3 months earlier than originally wanted it. C'est la vie.