Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NOT happy about the MANUAL lift gate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand why some people think an automatic liftgate is important, and I do hope it becomes easier to get for them.

But personally, I'm glad you can get the car without it. I like to option my cars for long-term reliability and low TCO; I've never minded opening a hatch on my own (in fact I am sometimes annoyed waiting for the hatch to open), and both my wife and I are tall enough it's easy for us to do.

This is how stupid I am - I'm buying a new Model S to get the autopilot feature (that's not the stupid part) - and I thought a long time about the power liftgate and whether I'd miss it (THAT's the stupid part -see below).

Then I realized, as I was OPENING THE MANUAL LIFTGATE ON MY 2011 VOLT WHICH I NOW HAVE TO DRIVE UNTIL I GET MY NEW MODEL S, that I've never ONCE been bothered by having to open my Volts hatchback!!! I will miss the powered liftgate NOT ONE BIT!!

Not arguing its a bad thing or anything - just didn't do anything for me particularly.

I agree with you 100% however, once you have it you will really like it. Also the Model S is a high end luxury car not a Volt or Altima. If that was the case my prior car has cruise control so why do I need TACC...but once you have it you can't go back.

I have to actively avoid the Alcantara. It is a really bad idea to bundle options which some people will want to *avoid* (Alcantara) with options which nobody would complain about and many people want (powered liftgate).

- - - Updated - - -

One quick note, Alcaterra is no longer mandatory with the premium package, when you select the premium package it defaults you to the lighter alcaterra, but it allows you to manually select the cloth roof. (no discount)

No, it doesn't! I just checked again.

When I tried in the design studio, every time I selected the cloth headliner, the premium package would deselect. :groan:

This change would make a big, big difference. Still a very expensive power liftgate, but at least it would be possible for us Alcantara-haters to avoid it.

What Tesla is doing now is just obnoxious.

I agree with you 100% however, once you have it you will really like it. Also the Model S is a high end luxury car not a Volt or Altima. If that was the case my prior car has cruise control so why do I need TACC...but once you have it you can't go back.

+1..I've had cars with manual lift gates and it's been fine , but because of the size of MS and the hatchback, the lift gate is pretty heavy for me.

No, it doesn't! I just checked again.

When I tried in the design studio, every time I selected the cloth headliner, the premium package would deselect. :groan:

This change would make a big, big difference. Still a very expensive power liftgate, but at least it would be possible for us Alcantara-haters to avoid it.

What Tesla is doing now is just obnoxious.
You'll notice in my post about two down from the one you quoted that I went back on that, it appears they changed how they presented it in the design studio, but did not change what the package actually contained.