Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not having regen after the last software update sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the things that makes it so much fun to drive a Tesla is the regen and I had always hoped they could maybe make the regen even stronger with a software update but unfortunately the opposite happened :(

After 2019.40.2.1 I basically have no usable regen in the car any more :( Most of my drives are around 10 miles of distance so this effectively precludes me from having regen for the entirety of the winter. Could we expect this to be fixed in a future update or is not having regen the new normal if you drive a Model S in the winter?

Driving in heavy traffic without regen just sucks :(

It just happened that you received 2019.40.2.1 and that you lost regen. You would see the same result if you charged to 100% regardless of the temperature.

As @PWlakewood mentioned it is all about the temp of your cars battery pack and/or state of charge. When it is cold, as long as there are the yellow tick marks showing on the Wh/mi gauge you will have no to very limited regen. The best way to mitigate this is to keep your car plugged in and precondition your car.

• Helpful
Reactions: jlv1
Its all about battery temperature and/or soc. Heated garage or a warmer climate will help.

Did you even read the OP? He said he noticed a decrease in regen after the software update. This has nothing to do with cold temps. It's not like the temps have suddenly dropped for him since he updated the software.
Have you installed 2019.40.x yet? Would be interesting to hear you experience with regen before and after this update.

That's ridiculous. You better get over it or go back to ICE, because Winter is just getting going.
I have a cheap Renault Zoe. Have had for 5 years and other EVs. Fully familiar with cold weather, fully charged etc leaving no room for regeneration. Just before latest update, working great in colder temps. Today quite warm in comparison (10 Celsius) and 75% charge. Virtually zero regeneration. Definitely a step change and an unwelcome one.

The Zoe still regen's same as usual.

That's ridiculous. You better get over it or go back to ICE, because Winter is just getting going.
I drove 200 miles 5 days ago in freezing conditions just pre-update and not a single complaint, (but not using AP etc). 3 miles yesterday and 2 today post update was not fun.

I'm sure the temperature could be part of the equation, but such a step change in behaviour, especially with one pedal driving is not safe.

Last edited:
One of the things that makes it so much fun to drive a Tesla is the regen and I had always hoped they could maybe make the regen even stronger with a software update but unfortunately the opposite happened :(

After 2019.40.2.1 I basically have no usable regen in the car any more :( Most of my drives are around 10 miles of distance so this effectively precludes me from having regen for the entirety of the winter. Could we expect this to be fixed in a future update or is not having regen the new normal if you drive a Model S in the winter?

Driving in heavy traffic without regen just sucks :(

You saying TACC doesn't work in Traffic now, yikes?

For Handicapped drivers that can't drive without regen or know how to enable TACC you can do a couple things.

1) Keep Range Mode off and Regen will return quicker, because it will heat the battery while driving. Net cost to drive will increase.
2) Use Targeted Charging before you leave in the morning. Net cost to drive will increase.
3) Preheat Cabin. I believe it will heat battery as well. Not sure what Range Mode effect is on this and affect of being plugged in or not. Net cost to drive will increase.

You can tell if battery is heating by looking at the Climate Page in the Tesla App (you'll see red battery icon if it's heating).

The same is true for my experience with the 40.1 update. But on another thread I read that preconditioning really helps with regen. So I tried that yesterday and out of the garage in 37°F temperature I had enough regen for one pedal driving. Today, without preconditioning, back to no or practically no regen at all.

Reactions: Duffer
The same is true for my experience with the 40.1 update. But on another thread I read that preconditioning really helps with regen. So I tried that yesterday and out of the garage in 37°F temperature I had enough regen for one pedal driving. Today, without preconditioning, back to no or practically no regen at all.
^^ This ^^

Did you even read the OP? He said he noticed a decrease in regen after the software update. This has nothing to do with cold temps. It's not like the temps have suddenly dropped for him since he updated the software.
Have you installed 2019.40.x yet? Would be interesting to hear you experience with regen before and after this update.
I've been on 2019.40.2.1 for a few weeks (from 2019.36.2.3) and have not noticed any difference in regen. Then again, you and I are both from CA so what do we know about "winter". :D

Which is ok if you are setting off on a 100 mile road trip, but 30 min's or more of precon just to get regen to work plus recover a few watt hrs of energy makes no sense.

Combined with cranking down s/c charging rates, it's almost as though Tesla have recently discovered some big issue with cold charging.