Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not having regen after the last software update sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which is ok if you are setting off on a 100 mile road trip, but 30 min's or more of precon just to get regen to work plus recover a few watt hrs of energy makes no sense.

Combined with cranking down s/c charging rates, it's almost as though Tesla have recently discovered some big issue with cold charging.
I sense another "Gate"....

Batterygate

Chargegate

And now Regengate

Reactions: pilotSteve
I drove 200 miles 5 days ago in freezing conditions just pre-update and not a single complaint, (but not using AP etc). 3 miles yesterday and 2 today post update was not fun.

I'm sure the temperature could be part of the equation, but such a step change in behaviour, especially with one pedal driving is not safe.

It makes very little difference what the current Ambient Temperature is. What was you BATTERY Temperature. Which can lag ambient by a LOT. If overnight temps not so bad you might have some regen. If overnight temps low, especially after cool days. But the day warmed up, your battery doesn't instantly recover. So on a warmer day you might see worse regen than a colder day.

You would need to provide a whole lot more evidence than Worked great one cool day, Update, works bad on better day before blaming the update.

I've seen no change. I can pretty much predict exactly what it will do and it's primarily based on what my garage temp is, not the current weather.

Anyone who has not owned a Tesla for a full year, should just sit back read, observe and listen and not make silly assertions.

One other thing is SOC charge. You'll get more regen at the same temps at lower SOC. This made a huge difference on the Model 3. But I see it a bit less on Model S/X. But it's still there.

Did you even read the OP? He said he noticed a decrease in regen after the software update. This has nothing to do with cold temps. It's not like the temps have suddenly dropped for him since he updated the software.
Have you installed 2019.40.x yet? Would be interesting to hear you experience with regen before and after this update.

Were you PM'd his overnight battery temps and SOC charge in each situation that we were not privy to make such a bold conclusion?

If I see a Joined date later than this past Summer and a mention of lost regen I know where the problem is.

Reactions: jlv1
Anyone who has not owned a Tesla for a full year

You are quite right about it taking time to appreciate nuance. In order to do that, you need a stable platform. Since the Raven hasn't seen many winters, I don't think there will be much evidence for previous years.

That said, I'm not stupid. When my Zoe has any slight change (weather, temp, soc whatever, I notice. After a whole day for the battery to 'warm up' to 10 Celsius, I am not talking about Sun rising first thing, warming up the cabin and expecting the battery to have warmed nicely too!

But I will certainly post here if I find differently. At this time I am just stating that I believe I have seen same change as OP.

Did you even read the OP? He said he noticed a decrease in regen after the software update. This has nothing to do with cold temps. It's not like the temps have suddenly dropped for him since he updated the software.
Have you installed 2019.40.x yet? Would be interesting to hear you experience with regen before and after this update.
Nope don't have 40.x yet but my regen lines showed up once the temps started dipping into the 20 and 30's and I installed 36.2.3. How about someone who lives in Florida Chime in on this topic.

Nope don't have 40.x yet but my regen lines showed up once the temps started dipping into the 20 and 30's and I installed 36.2.3. How about someone who lives in Florida Chime in on this topic.

I had tons of limited regen as soon it dropped in the low 40's long before these updates.
Depends on SOC too.

Today it was 35F. Car is at 80% SOC. Overnight temp was 30F. But my garage is around 41F.

I had NO REGEN. Pretty much the same a month ago in the same condition.

All normal.

Can we all agree to focus on 'change', perceived or actual, with or without evidence?

I am supporting the op in that I perceive a CHANGE in regen behaviour that seemed to coincide with the update rather than a change in temp and certainly not SOC related. Not collected data yet because I've only just decided it could be an issue. Neither do I have firm data prior update, so discount my comments on the subject for the time being if you so chose.

For information, 48 F towards end of day appeared minimal regen and 42 F and lower ambient pre update gave useable regen. Super flaky info, only marginal use.

Last edited:
Yup I'm right there with you. Once its back to the 50's at night it will go back to normal. I'm considering adding a heater to my garage to see the effect it will have

Good for an experiment, but pretty costly energy wise and only helps one way.

I'm temped to "leak" a little more excess heat from cellar into the attached garage which I don't think would cost much, other than a cooler cellar :)

I noticed reduced regen too, thought I was imagining it.

It's definitely worse/more noticeable than the past 3 winters -- starts at higher temps and takes longer to get full regen back. It was obvious when it I drove out and the air temp was in the low 50s and I had reduced regen (no clue what the battery temp was, but it wasn't a super cold night either).

It just happened that you received 2019.40.2.1 and that you lost regen. You would see the same result if you charged to 100% regardless of the temperature.

As @PWlakewood mentioned it is all about the temp of your cars battery pack and/or state of charge. When it is cold, as long as there are the yellow tick marks showing on the Wh/mi gauge you will have no to very limited regen. The best way to mitigate this is to keep your car plugged in and precondition your car.

Yeah except my battery is not at 100%.

I have driven in the winter, in peace, with regen until this update. My efficiency in city driving is now like Porsche designed the car.

If I wanted to drive an inefficient EV I would have bought a Porsche :p

I really hope they figure out a way to restore regen in the winter. Regen is a big part of the magic of driving a Tesla in urban traffic.

I noticed reduced regen too, thought I was imagining it.

It's definitely worse/more noticeable than the past 3 winters -- starts at higher temps and takes longer to get full regen back. It was obvious when it I drove out and the air temp was in the low 50s and I had reduced regen (no clue what the battery temp was, but it wasn't a super cold night either).

Same here: I thought I was imagining it at first, and kept trying to figure out what I was doing differently this year to cause it. Glad to see it wasn't just in my head. Hopefully it's a temporary condition, and Tesla will restore our cold weather functionality. (unless there's a really good reason why they did it).

What frustrates me most is that they make these changes without communicating the changes to us. Which leads to speculation and confusion. If they're doing it to protect the batteries, just say so in the release notes. At least then, we wouldn't need 2 pages of this thread arguing about whether or not something changed!

You saying TACC doesn't work in Traffic now, yikes?

For Handicapped drivers that can't drive without regen or know how to enable TACC you can do a couple things.

1) Keep Range Mode off and Regen will return quicker, because it will heat the battery while driving. Net cost to drive will increase.

Could you please do us both a favor and read what I actually posted. I never said anything about TACC and this has nothing to do with TACC. I lost any usable regen after the last software update and it makes driving in city traffic awful and horribly inefficient as I now have to use friction brakes all the time as if I was driving a dumb ICE.

I noticed no regen change in my S or 3 with the latest software. I got it about the first day it was out on my S and about a week later on my 3.

i did notice reduced regen after it got colder and the cars started cold soaking.

perhaps it changed the cold sensitivity? Or perhaps it isn’t related to the release at all.

I think they should release a new version. Make release notes - “fine tuned operational parameters” but make no changes. Curious how much feedback they would get.

What frustrates me most is that they make these changes without communicating the changes to us. Which leads to speculation and confusion. If they're doing it to protect the batteries, just say so in the release notes. At least then, we wouldn't need 2 pages of this thread arguing about whether or not something changed!

100% on the money. A little communication would really help.