Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not having regen after the last software update sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could you please do us both a favor and read what I actually posted. I never said anything about TACC and this has nothing to do with TACC. I lost any usable regen after the last software update and it makes driving in city traffic awful and horribly inefficient as I now have to use friction brakes all the time as if I was driving a dumb ICE.

OMG, you had to use the brakes!! I did too, all last winter. But if I’m on the highway, traffic or no traffic I have AP on and it doesn’t make a damn bit of difference.

• Disagree
Reactions: serendipitous
I have AP on and it [regen?] doesn’t make a damn bit of difference.

In which case, just forget about regen as it makes no difference, and we'll all be fine?

I can't use AP for roads around here (I read that the EU has required AP to only function on roads with 2 lanes mimimum in each direction with a center divide) as they are all smaller roads.

My 'other' EV typically does 225 whr / mile in summer and 300 whr / mile over winter months, as measured by the vehicle. The Model S managed 350 whr / mile over 200 miles on mixed roads, average speed around 50 mph on pre 40.2.1. After a few more COMPARABLE journeys it should be possible to see if there really is a huge step change pre / post update.

Reactions: PhilDavid
In which case, just forget about regen as it makes no difference, and we'll all be fine?

I can't use AP for roads around here (I read that the EU has required AP to only function on roads with 2 lanes mimimum in each direction with a center divide) as they are all smaller roads.

My 'other' EV typically does 225 whr / mile in summer and 300 whr / mile over winter months, as measured by the vehicle. The Model S managed 350 whr / mile over 200 miles on mixed roads, average speed around 50 mph on pre 40.2.1. After a few more COMPARABLE journeys it should be possible to see if there really is a huge step change pre / post update.

If I didn’t have AP for what ever reason. I’d still have adaptive cruise control on. Like I do all my cars since 2013.

I drive “no pedal” on the highway ICE or EV, Tesla or non Tesla. Especially in traffic.

So I don’t understand all the agony and danger of lower regen. It is what it is. Even if Tesla did change it, to protect your battery, which highly doubt. Who cares.

The only time I notice is driving around town. And it’s no big deal. Maybe you should enable Creep Mode. Because around town at traffic lights I still get one pedal driving. It’s just on the brake pedal instead ;).

Maybe you’ll enjoy regen more in the spring when you get it back.

BTW my Volt feels like it lost nothing on regen in the same exact conditions. At any SOC. Estimated Range has gone down because of heater though.

This is my third winter with my P85.
This winter battery heating during preheat seems to be ended.
Previous winters cabin preheat even not plugged in resulted in some pack heating and therefore regen.
Near Green Bay high today was near 10f 7 mile drive each way had some regen from charging this morning none on the way home, been like that a lot lately.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
This is my third winter with my P85.
This winter battery heating during preheat seems to be ended.
Previous winters cabin preheat even not plugged in resulted in some pack heating and therefore regen.
Near Green Bay high today was near 10f 7 mile drive each way had some regen from charging this morning none on the way home, been like that a lot lately.

Did you know range mode effects the battery heating. Did you by chance turn that on? I see a huge difference in how fast regen comes back if range mode is off. But my wh/mi goes through the roof if it’s off due to battery heating, so I leave it on. You can tell it’s heating on the App Climate page if it shows a red battery icon.

could be they changed when battery heating happens or not when preheating cabin. I don’t know how X behaved last winter because I had Model 3. Which rarely heating the battery (via motors).

Don’t forget SOC charge effects it too. Lower SOC allows more regen.

Last edited:
all the agony and danger of lower regen.

If you take the view that most people are stupid, then there is probably no substance in this thread. I think some of the me-too is imagined to some extent, and some down to something completely different, but I suspect there is at least some common underlying factor that has given several owners cause to suspect a change. Each of our situations are likely different. I agree with some of your comments, but I can tell you for sure that where I am in the UK, smaller streets, wet weather, maybe European version of software..... whatever..... and me being a relative newcomer to the Tesla experience, both TACC and AP combined most recently with (now) minimal regen really does not have a good feel to it. Sudden hard braking followed by rapid acceleration, application of emergency brake with red images on IC and messages to take control immediately.... and juddering braking when approx 30% regen allowed. Then to perceive that with manual driving under same conditions as previous 2 or 3 days, regen / 1 pedal control behaviour changed all added up to my own comments about not a good safe feeling..... Compared to the little Renault EV that like your Volt is relatively so consistent and predictable.

regen more in the spring

I have no doubt that with warmer temps, regen will increase, and luckily the Model S isn't my daily drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droschke
Ah yes, now I remember.

"This problem doesn't affect me, so it's a non problem"
"Tesla didn't change anything, you're imagining it"
"You're doing it wrong"
"It was changed for the best, don't worry"
"That's not a flaw, it's a feature"
Ok, I just changed my OTA setting from "Give me the latest update RN!" to "I can wait, I prefer getting a stable release." ... Well, no, give me both!

• Funny
Reactions: Max*
If you take the view that most people are stupid, then there is probably no substance in this thread. I think some of the me-too is imagined to some extent, and some down to something completely different, but I suspect there is at least some common underlying factor that has given several owners cause to suspect a change. Each of our situations are likely different. I agree with some of your comments, but I can tell you for sure that where I am in the UK, smaller streets, wet weather, maybe European version of software..... whatever..... and me being a relative newcomer to the Tesla experience, both TACC and AP combined most recently with (now) minimal regen really does not have a good feel to it. Sudden hard braking followed by rapid acceleration, application of emergency brake with red images on IC and messages to take control immediately.... and juddering braking when approx 30% regen allowed. Then to perceive that with manual driving under same conditions as previous 2 or 3 days, regen / 1 pedal control behaviour changed all added up to my own comments about not a good safe feeling..... Compared to the little Renault EV that like your Volt is relatively so consistent and predictable.

I have no doubt that with warmer temps, regen will increase, and luckily the Model S isn't my daily drive.

Hard braking under TACC has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of regen.

Maybe you should get you car services because cruise control has not changed one iota.

I could give a suggestion on how to address that but you just think I’m being a jerk and Tesla has completely borked the software. I’ll let you sort it out.

Statements like you just made is confirmation you have no idea why the car does what it does.

unsubscribing and marking you as ignored.

see ya.

• Disagree
Reactions: Droschke
For those that have noticed the loss of regen, apparently as a result of 2019.40.2.1, how do you explain the results that @Bmac posted (and I quoted) earlier?
In summary, he preconditioned his car and had enough regen for 1 pedal driving. The next day, same weather, he did not precondition his car and he was back to not having regen.

True, it is only 1 data point. However, it seems like a pretty solid example of how preconditioning your vehicle helps to mitigate the regen issue.

Preconditioning (aka warming the battery) is part of the "scheduled departure" feature which IIRC as part of the description says the vehicle needs to be plugged in to work..

Not being a smart@ss. For those that have lost their regen following updating to 2019.40.2.1, I'm curious if preconditioning your vehicle will help to resolve the issue.

I'm thinking I'd burn less oil leaving an ICE running to defrost than keeping my garage heated to 60 f or more!
And even less if your car is plugged in, so it can precondition itself, while in your 40° garage. ;)

I’m also experiencing regen issues since I’m on version 40 with my 75x and before reading complaints here. Had the car for 3rd winter and this is definitely new and was not part of 39.x or earlier. Precondition solved the issue but I normally charge at work and not home. Having little or no regen support is definitely an issue besides convenience as breaking distance significantly increased. Garage is part of the house and while not heated also not cold. In the morning even under this conditions regen is limited. Oh and for those in FL and CA chiming in about not noticing a difference or waiting for spring: Do you know the 4 season in Michigan? (Almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction)

Ok model S here raven. 1) some how my one pedal driving got switched off in this last update for me, no idea how but the car regen was back to stopping at 5mph. That was easy fix.
2) yes the car is sensitive to cold temps like everyone but honestly was prior. Let’s not forget cold temps been on and off again for many of us in country and adding to variables.
3) ok so I try to precondition every night, but the scheduled departure feature is badly buggy. 1 out of 3 nights (approx) the car doesn’t start charging and precondition until I wake up at 5am and open the app. Those nights I don’t have enough time for it to precondition when I leave at 5:20. The other nights it does it as it should per the 5:15am time I have it set at and car is ready to go and regen is mostly or always full.

scheduled departure would be great if it wasn’t buggy. Why must I have to wake my car up via the app and why isn’t it waking itself up per the god damn setting? It’s super annoying and going to make this winter stink. Given it’s not yet fixed after all these updates since it came out, I feel like I am in the minority if not isolated in my scheduled departure bug.

apparently
Mhmm...
Not being a smart@ss. For those that have lost their regen following updating to 2019.40.2.1, I'm curious if preconditioning your vehicle will help to resolve the issue.
That's not a resolution, right? That's a workaround. Your workaround, is to use a feature Tesla introduced, to fix something they changed.

Also, by that logic it falls under:
"That's not a flaw, it's a feature"

Look, I get it, this is small beans in comparison to other issues. But it is happening, no matter how much some forum members here think Tesla's sh*t don't stink. All Tesla should have done was put it in the release notes "Updated Regen algorithm to avoid battery degradation" BAM, gets rid of these threads.

Also, for those that assume the regen wasn't changed -- historically, after the car was sitting idle for 8 hours, at what temps do you notice limited regen? 25F? 30F? 35F? 40F? 45F? 50F? 55F?

Last edited:
Tesla has been nerfing regen for years. I’m not surprised it continues, and I strongly doubt it’s coming back.

Seems pretty obvious that they’ve got a good amount of fleet data that shows cold weather peaky charging like that is bad for the battery long term (and thus bad for their bottom line), so no soup for you.

As for me, I’ll gladly replace a set of brake pads instead of a battery, and there’s nothing “efficient” about needing to replace a dead battery prematurely.

In short, we’re gonna have to use our brake pedals like the poors do when it’s cold. Woe is we, indeed.

One of the things that makes it so much fun to drive a Tesla is the regen and I had always hoped they could maybe make the regen even stronger with a software update but unfortunately the opposite happened :(

After 2019.40.2.1 I basically have no usable regen in the car any more :( Most of my drives are around 10 miles of distance so this effectively precludes me from having regen for the entirety of the winter. Could we expect this to be fixed in a future update or is not having regen the new normal if you drive a Model S in the winter?

Driving in heavy traffic without regen just sucks :(
If you think loss of regen is bad, wait until they cap your battery capacity and cut your supercharging speed in half.

For those that have noticed the loss of regen, apparently as a result of 2019.40.2.1, how do you explain the results that @Bmac posted (and I quoted) earlier?
In summary, he preconditioned his car and had enough regen for 1 pedal driving. The next day, same weather, he did not precondition his car and he was back to not having regen.

True, it is only 1 data point. However, it seems like a pretty solid example of how preconditioning your vehicle helps to mitigate the regen issue.

Preconditioning (aka warming the battery) is part of the "scheduled departure" feature which IIRC as part of the description says the vehicle needs to be plugged in to work..

And even less if your car is plugged in, so it can precondition itself, while in your 40° garage. ;)

There are some anecdotes of this reduced regen happening on 2019.36.X.X on some cars coinciding with the scheduled departure feature in another thread here, but for myself I never received this update; I went directly from 2019.32.2.1 to 2019.40.2.1, thus receiving the .36 scheduled departure option with it.

If this new reduced regen, and I am not imaging this, it is fact, going forward is permanent and not just an "oops, sorry" miscalculation in the latest update and will not be remedied in a subsequent update, then yes, we will have to learn to condition the car to mitigate the reduced regen, but this is only an option for us half the time, once a day in the mornings. Not many of us have the luxury of charging at work. No option there for me.

Reactions: David99
Its all about battery temperature and/or soc. Heated garage or a warmer climate will help.

While this is correct, it’s not what OP is talking about. My (California) commute home limits my regen around 25 miles of my 35 mile trip. It never did that before, even with colder temperatures. I have to park outside at work and there are no charging options. Not only did the update make the car less efficient, it will wear down the brake pads much more quickly.

Anyone who has not owned a Tesla for a full year, should just sit back read, observe and listen and not make silly assertions.

Third winter with my 3LR plus prior winter with my S. They changed the regen temperature limits and behavior in the latest update. It now takes me over 30 miles and 40 minutes of a highway commute from a cold battery at 43 ambient. That was not the case last year or the year before, I could clear regen within 10 or so minutes in the 40s.

Yup I'm right there with you. Once its back to the 50's at night it will go back to normal. I'm considering adding a heater to my garage to see the effect it will have

I got regen limited from a garage at 64 degrees and 90% battery the other day. And not a little limited, enough for the warning. That is what made me notice the change. 64!!! That is now "cold" I guess. Took 10/15 minutes to clear. Sucked.

Just received 40.2.1 and I have scheduled departure set so we will see how my regen is in the AM. I like aggressive regen but like @ucmndd said, I would rather replace brake pads more often rather than a battery. So I'm all for Tesla re doing the algorithm to prolong my battery although I do have a performance S in my sights for the near future and will most likely drive this one alot less if at all.

Reactions: ReddyLeaf