Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not having regen after the last software update sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received 40.2.1 and I have scheduled departure set so we will see how my regen is in the AM. I like aggressive regen but like @ucmndd said, I would rather replace brake pads more often rather than a battery. So I'm all for Tesla re doing the algorithm to prolong my battery although I do have a performance S in my sights for the near future and will most likely drive this one alot less if at all.
Scheduled departure worked great...no regen limit and car was nice and toasty. On the way home the ambient temperature outside was in the low 40's and the regen limit went away quicker than it had been the previous software version. Updating to 40.2.3 as we speak so we shall see what's borked with this one.

Today the high was I think mid 20s leaving work zero regen and power limited to 160.

The heater energy use means my 15-20miles use burns 30-35 miles which is all it charges daily and I have the rate set at 42amps and see maybe 1/4-1/3 Regen in the morning. I haven't looked to see when it starts or if it ever warms enough to use 42amps.

Don't do that. That's literally killing the battery. Drawing full power from a cold battery is a bad idea.

Tesla limits the maximum current draw when the pack is cold so you cannot draw full power. When in parallel mode, the cooling system will deliver wasted heat from the motor to the pack. So this could actually be an effective means of heating the pack quickly. Another option would be to set the Nav to the nearest supercharger.

Has anyone currently logging data verified that the new updates don’t activate the battery heater on cold day trips and instead let the battery warm up on its own? .

I don't have logging, but have observed the battery warming icon come on in the app in a stationary car after shifting to drive. It stayed on when shifting back to park.

Ambient temp : 18F. 4O.2.3

1) Preheat from app for ten minutes. No battery warming icon.
2) Enter and start car. Snowflake icon on the battery in the car. Zero regen available. Car is in Park. No battery heater icon in app.
3) Shift to Drive and battery heater icon appears.
4) Shift back to park and heater icon remains on.

Tesla limits the maximum current draw when the pack is cold so you cannot draw full power. When in parallel mode, the cooling system will deliver wasted heat from the motor to the pack. So this could actually be an effective means of heating the pack quickly. Another option would be to set the Nav to the nearest supercharger.

The concern should be was Tesla too aggressive with the BMS up till recently and realized they screwed up were too aggressive allowed damage and chargergate/batterygate are the result.

If that is the case and frankly it seems likely then the "Tesla protects the battery" argument is less effective, though ironically in that instance they finally are protecting the battery causing all these headaches.

The concern should be was Tesla too aggressive with the BMS up till recently and realized they screwed up were too aggressive allowed damage and chargergate/batterygate are the result.

If that is the case and frankly it seems likely then the "Tesla protects the battery" argument is less effective, though ironically in that instance they finally are protecting the battery causing all these headaches.

No one forced them to offer the warranty. They did it to push sales. If the BMS was poor, then the resulting repairs/replacements should be on them, not via degraded performance the customer experiences-- we bought the cars for the way they drove. But this will all be settled in court, it seems... since Tesla can't even offer the decency of an explanation to owners.

Untrue. 8 year battery warranty is mandated in US for EVs.

Eh, okay, I'll grant you that there are some regs in that regard -- but they very much oversold the capabilities of the car and used the warranty as a carrot to bolster those claims. It was delusional at best and deceptive at worst given what we're now seeing on cars that are barely past halfway in the warranty period. At least, that's all we're left with given the absence of communication from Tesla directly to us.

They rolled the dice. They lost. The courts will decide.

If Tesla wins in court, THEY STILL LOSE. They lose past customers, they destroy residual values on the fleet (which affects lease rates on new cars) and they'll raise the skepticism of new buyers worried that they could be next. It's absolutely foolish to me that they have not made some kind of statement or mea culpa with promises to correct. The coverup is always worse.

Also... for the fanbois new to the family -- There is no evidence to suggest the 3 won't sustain the same problems in a few years other than Tesla's suggested claims that their batteries are better and their management system is a tech leap beyond everyone else. Where have I heard that before? I believe it was in 2014 when I ordered my car....

I know that. I was more talking about the current draw. It is bad for the battery to draw high current when it's cold. Its damaging.

Eh, okay, I'll grant you that there are some regs in that regard -- but they very much oversold the capabilities of the car and used the warranty as a carrot to bolster those claims. It was delusional at best and deceptive at worst given what we're now seeing on cars that are barely past halfway in the warranty period. At least, that's all we're left with given the absence of communication from Tesla directly to us.

They rolled the dice. They lost. The courts will decide.

If Tesla wins in court, THEY STILL LOSE. They lose past customers, they destroy residual values on the fleet (which affects lease rates on new cars) and they'll raise the skepticism of new buyers worried that they could be next. It's absolutely foolish to me that they have not made some kind of statement or mea culpa with promises to correct. The coverup is always worse.

Also... for the fanbois new to the family -- There is no evidence to suggest the 3 won't sustain the same problems in a few years other than Tesla's suggested claims that their batteries are better and their management system is a tech leap beyond everyone else. Where have I heard that before? I believe it was in 2014 when I ordered my car....
Who lost? Tesla or consumers? As I see it Tesla stock was over 400 yesterday, they sell every vehicle they make, no real competition, unmatched range and power, etc. Consumers keep buying the product, consumers keep having repairs done when needed, supercharger network is unmatched and growing.

Where are all these law suits at?

If there is in fact something that needs to be decided in the courts then when/if it happens I hope us consumers come out ahead.

Tesla is not free from guilt in alot of regards but other manufacturers do the exact same thing and try and get out of being responsible for repairs. My wife drives a Ford fusion energi and we bought it under the quise of it getting 30 miles on battery only. The only time we ever got 30 was going downhill on a warm summer day. We now get 11 to 12 on battery only. Wanna guess what ford says? Yup you guessed it, normal nothing wrong. All systems are operating normally. I'm under warranty and they could care less. This is not just a tesla thing.

Who lost? Tesla or consumers? As I see it Tesla stock was over 400 yesterday, they sell every vehicle they make, no real competition, unmatched range and power, etc. Consumers keep buying the product, consumers keep having repairs done when needed, supercharger network is unmatched and growing.

If there is in fact something that needs to be decided in the courts then when/if it happens I hope us consumers come out ahead.

Tesla is not free from guilt in alot of regards but other manufacturers do the exact same thing and try and get out of being responsible for repairs. My wife drives a Ford fusion energi and we bought it under the quise of it getting 30 miles on battery only. The only time we ever got 30 was going downhill on a warm summer day. We now get 11 to 12 on battery only. Wanna guess what ford says? Yup you guessed it, normal nothing wrong. All systems are operating normally. I'm under warranty and they could care less. This is not just a tesla thing.

There are several pending lawsuits related to battery issues. This isn't the thread for them -- it was only incidentally mentioned as the regen is likely related to those battery issues, as yet unknown because Tesla has not said anything directly. But many of us are seeing the evidence (some more than others).

If you're really unaware of this controversy, I encourage you to look around the forums and comment there-- I'm not interested in debating it here all over again.

As I recall, one of the distinguishing characteristics-- the goals-- as espoused by Elon, was that Tesla would be different in their treatment of their customers than other manufacturers. Saying they are the same is faint praise, I guess. I expected better-- and indeed, we got it for a while (the seat belt bolt inspections, the under nose battery shield retrofits, etc.).

I’ll go a step further and say it would be fundamentally unethical, and against the company’s stated mission of accelerating the transition to sustainable energy, if they discovered something detrimental to battery health from their fleet data and did nothing to rectify it.

We can argue all we want on whether Tesla is being transparent enough with customers on these decisions - and I’d tend to agree that they’re not. That said, I find this frankly entitled opinion that Tesla has no right to change any characteristic about the car or its driving manners post-delivery (unless of course we personally like it, in which case it’s exactly the reason we bought the car!) to be absurd.

There are several pending lawsuits related to battery issues. This isn't the thread for them -- it was only incidentally mentioned as the regen is likely related to those battery issues, as yet unknown because Tesla has not said anything directly. But many of us are seeing the evidence (some more than others).

If you're really unaware of this controversy, I encourage you to look around the forums and comment there-- I'm not interested in debating it here all over again.

As I recall, one of the distinguishing characteristics-- the goals-- as espoused by Elon, was that Tesla would be different in their treatment of their customers than other manufacturers. Saying they are the same is faint praise, I guess. I expected better-- and indeed, we got it for a while (the seat belt bolt inspections, the under nose battery shield retrofits, etc.).
I really don't care to see these lawsuits on a forum. Until they are in the courts and there is an outcome its all hear say and conjecture. Just because there is a lawsuit in the works or whatever does not mean its valid or going to do us as consumers any good.
Lawsuit being filed does not mean anything until its been adjudicated.

Last edited: