Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not having regen after the last software update sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you use your phone app, you can turn on the cabin heat 20 minute before you leave. That will also preheat the battery. Most cars will be plugged in, so it’s the wall current that will heat the cabin and the battery, it’ll start you off with a full charge, a warm car, and a battery that’s ready to take a bit of some regen current.

This is no longer true. It may have been in the past, but climate control does NOT turn on the battery heater, unless it is extremely cold (only seen it once).

Ludicrous+ worked to heat the battery. Started home with a 43F battery and six yellow dashes. 13 miles later they were all gone and the coldest module was 65.5F.

Was reporting 1 hour plus to get the battery to max temp. Still 55 minutes when I shut L+ off.

Didn’t actually use the L acceleration, for most of my commute I use TACC.

Yesterday it took nearly 30 miles of driving to get the yellow dashes to go away. But it was also 10F colder.

If you use your phone app, you can turn on the cabin heat 20 minute before you leave. That will also preheat the battery. Most cars will be plugged in, so it’s the wall current that will heat the cabin and the battery, it’ll start you off with a full charge, a warm car, and a battery that’s ready to take a bit of some regen current.

Are we sure with the recent software update that turning on climate control while plugged in will heat the battery?

Reactions: Droschke
Are we sure with the recent software update that turning on climate control while plugged in will heat the battery?

From reading here, I get the impression probably not. No longer battery heating display in app and supposedly Tesla aware (response to service request by other owners) and due to fix.

I also read one post that suggested battery heating still comes on at very low temps.

Purely heating the cabin as a means of putting a little heat into the battery would seem somewhat ineffective and inefficient if battery heating is not enabled.

I just got an update to Tesla app (Android) but could not see any obvious changes.

One thing I haven't seen touched on and will vary folks experience is it really seems to take a long time to get the pack down to ambient.
I can tell a difference during the week daily driving vs on the weekend when it sits for 36-48 hours sometimes.

How warm the pack gets daily from charging and driving affects the next day.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
From reading here, I get the impression probably not. No longer battery heating display in app and supposedly Tesla aware (response to service request by other owners) and due to fix.

I also read one post that suggested battery heating still comes on at very low temps.

Purely heating the cabin as a means of putting a little heat into the battery would seem somewhat ineffective and inefficient if battery heating is not enabled.

I just got an update to Tesla app (Android) but could not see any obvious changes.

So we are expecting a "fix" for the no regen issues?

Reactions: pilotSteve
So we are expecting a "fix" for the no regen issues?
If by “fix” you mean returning functional battery preheating to the app, I’d say yes, and Elon twitted something an hour or so ago indicating support for that.

If by “fix” you mean putting things back they way they were and allowing higher levels of regen on cold batteries, I think the answer is obviously no.

Hack for those of you wanting your battery heater to come on to at least get your regenerative braking back faster than just driving around.

Tell your car to navigate to a nearby supercharger. It will think that's where you're headed and prepare the battery for efficient quick supercharging (needs a warm battery) The SC location HAS to be a nearby one though. The system seems to have a distance limit on it. My guess is they figure if the distance from your current location to the supercharger inputted into the NAV is far enough away then the battery will be at optimal temperature after covering that distance.

I use this everyday to and from work. It won't get you regen when you first get into the car but you'll lose yellow dashes MUCH faster than just driving.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
returning functional battery preheating to the app

Seems it would be hard to not reinstate this as it can only help battery issues and in some cases owner satisfaction (those who are happy to use a bit of energy to get back regen). At least having the option of battery pre-condition and energy used so doing would let each user make their own call according to circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhilDavid
Hack for those of you wanting your battery heater to come on to at least get your regenerative braking back faster than just driving around.

Tell your car to navigate to a nearby supercharger. It will think that's where you're headed and prepare the battery for efficient quick supercharging (needs a warm battery) The SC location HAS to be a nearby one though. The system seems to have a distance limit on it. My guess is they figure if the distance from your current location to the supercharger inputted into the NAV is far enough away then the battery will be at optimal temperature after covering that distance.

I use this everyday to and from work. It won't get you regen when you first get into the car but you'll lose yellow dashes MUCH faster than just driving.

I don't even think that works for my vintage of car. I could press the insane+ button if I wanted though.

If by “fix” you mean returning functional battery preheating to the app, I’d say yes, and Elon twitted something an hour or so ago indicating support for that.

If by “fix” you mean putting things back they way they were and allowing higher levels of regen on cold batteries, I think the answer is obviously no.

Previously a decent amount of driving did a better job of restoring the regen to the car, so perhaps another "fix" is having the battery heat itself during operation to the same rate it did before- sure that threshold temperature has been altered, but it seems the ability to warm itself to that new temperature has been disabled, as it takes much too long to make any noticeable difference in the regen characteristics.

Maybe its like my older ICE and I need a new thermostat.

• Funny
Reactions: Decibelle
To those that disagree with this statement....go ahead and ask anyone who lives in Florida how there regen is lately......I will wait........

I imagine most people will agree with the statement. I haven't seen anything here that disagrees.

It is a question of how much regen and at what temperatures, and also a change in battery pre-con behaviour. Needs firm data to back up statements, but I believe one or two owners not yet updated are doing detailed tests.

It may even be that any changes to regen were implemented some time ago, and have not become evident until colder temperatures hit a large number of owners.

One or two San Diego / warmer climate owners posted about a change in regen around 45 deg F that they have not seen before, and also that regen remains low or inactive for longer than previously.

Those who warm the batteries / garage the cars see reduced effect or no change from previously, depending on temps.

Reactions: Max*