Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not having regen after the last software update sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK here is the result of my testing before updating my car to 2019.40.x and after. Tesla significantly reduced the available regen power when the battery is cold. The blue line is the new behavior. You can see how much warmer the battery has to be to get the same regen as before,

The data is collected from the CAN bus data which is the car's internal data bus. I made a simple graph showing the difference. I'm honestly surprised why after so many years they decided to change it.

View attachment 492192

Thanks for the info David.

are you driving and using regen to warm the pack up to get these data points?

Not arguing with your data, as I have none, but seat of pants observations tells me it feels like a lot more than a 3 degree C difference: I would have guessed 10 degrees.

OK here is the result of my testing before updating my car to 2019.40.x and after. Tesla significantly reduced the available regen power when the battery is cold. The blue line is the new behavior. You can see how much warmer the battery has to be to get the same regen as before,

The data is collected from the CAN bus data which is the car's internal data bus. I made a simple graph showing the difference. I'm honestly surprised why after so many years they decided to change it.

View attachment 492192

Thanks for posting the data!

What is the X-axis of that graph? Is that kW or percentage of full regen?

Thanks for the info David.

are you driving and using regen to warm the pack up to get these data points?

Not arguing with your data, as I have none, but seat of pants observations tells me it feels like a lot more than a 3 degree C difference: I would have guessed 10 degrees.

I know 3 degrees doesn't seem like a lot but what counts is how much time it takes to get the battery 3 degrees warmer and have the same regen. Here is a graph of the data I captured before I made the software "upgrade". It took a little over 7 minutes of normal driving to warm the battery up 3 degree C to reach the same regen level. If your commute is 20 min, that's 1/3 of the time. But what makes things worse is that you also start with much lower regen when you get in the car, so the overall loss of power you can get back is significant.

The are three values graphed out. The average cell temperature, the max regen power set by the BMS, and the maximum charge rate allowed by the BMS. It is interesting that the BMS seems to allow a slightly higher regen amount than charge power. I guess it is due to the fact that regen will only last for a short amount of time, while charging would be continuous. BTW, this test was done at 30-35% battery level so the state of charge was definitely not in any way a limiting factor.

x-axis is time in minutes, y-axis (left) is power in kW, y-axis (right) is battery temperature in Celsius.

maxRegendata.png

Thanks!

I thought max regen was limited to 50 kW and didn't realize max regen goes up to 100 kW!

That explains why I feel such a big difference when driving with the barely available regen after a recent software update.

The regen limit still goes up to 100 kW even after the update. The highest regen power I have ever been able to get was 72 kW for a few seconds when letting go of the pedal suddenly while going 100 mph. At normal freeway speeds (75 mph) you get no more than 60 kW regen. The BMS calculates all the way up to 100 kW, but in reality you will never get that much. No Tesla regens at 100 kW*. Once the regen limit is at 60-64 kW you won't feel any restriction any more. Regen feels normal.

*Jason Hughes modified one of his Model S to regen at 100 kW. I wish he would make that available as a software patch LOL

View attachment 492192

Damn!
I guess i'll hold on to my 2019.32.12.7 version for a long while....

So besides the regen thing going on I noticed a weird behavior the last 3 days. I park outside at work and usually lose 3 to 4 miles range during the day and lately its only dropped by 1 mile. Temperatures have been in the high 20's up to low 40's. I haven't changed any settings.

Reactions: dark cloud
Well the reality is it is not the regular updates causing failures, that memory can handle many erase/write cycles, what it can't handle is Telsa using it to data log constantly and unnecessarily. One or two updates a month won't kill it, hammering data to it constantly will (is).

I trust why you are saying is coming from a place of knowledge, but when I read a post like this it concerns me
AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

I may be speaking too soon but with the 40.50 update I literally have not had any limited regen. I live in Washington DC and it’s been cold. The first time I noticed it I had limited regen and parked the car and applied the update. Two hours later, in the evening still, I had no limited regen and thought that was curious. Then this morning, I got in the car after preheating for 20 minutes and no limited regen. I hope this is a permanent update or not a fluke on my part.

I may be speaking too soon but with the 40.50 update I literally have not had any limited regen. I live in Washington DC and it’s been cold. The first time I noticed it I had limited regen and parked the car and applied the update. Two hours later, in the evening still, I had no limited regen and thought that was curious. Then this morning, I got in the car after preheating for 20 minutes and no limited regen. I hope this is a permanent update or not a fluke on my part.
Also, no garage in either scenario.

Thanks!

I thought max regen was limited to 50 kW and didn't realize max regen goes up to 100 kW!

That explains why I feel such a big difference when driving with the barely available regen after a recent software update.
It certainly was limited to 50kW max for years. An update early this year was the first to allow > 50kW regen (as shown on the energy display anyway). This is my experience with my April 2016 S75D. Maybe when they first increased the maximum allowable power they screwed up the temperature relationship.

It certainly was limited to 50kW max for years. An update early this year was the first to allow > 50kW regen (as shown on the energy display anyway). This is my experience with my April 2016 S75D. Maybe when they first increased the maximum allowable power they screwed up the temperature relationship.

Regen was not limited to 50 kW. Maybe it was on the 75 battery. I certainly got more than 50 kW in my 85 ever since I got it in 2014. The highest I measured was 72 kW. There was a software update that allowed a little more regen in some situations but that was a minor tweak. It was only supposed to help in situations where regen was limited by temperature or charge level.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP