Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not having regen after the last software update sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And with 2020.4.1 we have battery heating active on preheating/conditioning the car! Yay!

IMG_0600.PNG

And with 2020.4.1 we have battery heating active on preheating/conditioning the car! Yay!
I've seen that battery heating symbol many times with the previous firmware that I'm still on when the temp is about -10 Celsius outside (in my garage its about 6 - 10 degrees warmer). Despite that, there's still no full regen till after about 30 - 40 mins of driving.

So is it goodbye one pedal driving?

My regen has yellow dots below 25Kw on the energy display. I get full regen from 25 mph to about 8 MPH. The regen slowing of the car is much less above 25 MPH. It is cold here, 30’s F but the garage is in the 50’s F, so the battery can’t be all that cold.

I liked the one pedal driving, I liked the regen saving electricity. Now even with the regen set to the strongest, it’s largely gone. I don’t think it’s the wear and tear on my battery causing the limits, I’ve only got about 13K on the car and minimal range loss.

Is this about what everyone else is seeing? I’ve only done short trips, does the 25Kw limit go away when the battery warms, with longer trips, or is it pretty much stuck at the 25Kw?

So it is goodbye one pedal driving?

My regen has yellow dots below 25Kw on the energy display. I get full regen from 25 mph to about 8 MPH. The regen slowing of the car is much less above 25 MPH.

I liked the one pedal driving, I liked the regen saving electricity. Now even with the regen set to the strongest, it’s largely gone. I don’t think it’s the wear and tear on my battery causing the limits, I’ve only got about 13K on the car and minimal range loss.

Is this about what everyone else is seeing? I’ve only done short trips, does the 25Kw limit go away when the battery warms, with longer trips, or is it pretty much stuck at the 25Kw?
It goes away once you've been driving for about 30-40 mins. Its the battery that is not warm enough.

• Informative
Reactions: D.E.
I've seen that battery heating symbol many times with the previous firmware that I'm still on when the temp is about -10 Celsius outside (in my garage its about 6 - 10 degrees warmer). Despite that, there's still no full regen till after about 30 - 40 mins of driving.

yes but only when driving; not with climate on only, with the car unplugged. 2019.4.xxx removed that; now it is back.

Was warmer for a while, but got some reasonably cold weather again; decided to play with cabin preheat again. Temp outside was -5 C, garage where car was more like 8C. Car undriven and unplugged for over 24 hours. Turned on cabin heater at 6:27 am ; took about 45 seconds for the battery heater icon to appear. Battery heated until 6:53, or almost half an hour at which time I heard the coolant pump stop. Battery SOC went from 58% to 55%. And saw no dashed lines on the cluster, which I assume means zero regen.

So the question is whether I want to use 3% of my battery to ensure I have max regen and this save the brakes. At least Tesla has offered the choice with the last update 2020.4.1

Yeah but it completely sucks for those of us whose drives are 20-30 minutes.
You and I have participated in this discussion before because I recall we have similar short drive and I think you said some hills too?

I have been giving a lot of thought to this because I really miss the regen when it's not there and I hate driving down long hills shedding energy in the brakes.

The unavoidable issue is the peak charge rates on cold batteries (as we all know) and balancing energy used pre-heating of the battery just to get regen working.

My real daily drive is a Renault Zoe which is obviously a cheaper, smaller, lighter car. I had been hating on the Model S because the Zoe does give me some regen (enough to stay within the speed limit) on the downhill sections.

Obviously still on the Tesla regen (and charge tapering) journey, but I am slowly adjusting to two realities for me.

1) My Model S is an extravagance and it is about an overall driving experience (notice I didn't say ownership experience)

2) The Zoe might give me regen for more of the time, but most likely at a cost.

Given that the Zoe cost about 1/4 the price of the Tesla, replacing a battery whilst still likely to be more than the value of the car, it would be around 8000 US. The car does little or no battery management and the wty is 8Yr 75% deterioration. Charging and regen levels are modest (certainly cf Model S) and ratio of energy saved to energy used is pretty good.

The Tesla is a very different proposition imo. Looking after the battery matters more. It is a much higher value component and it's worth looking after. So I must at least acknowledge the value to me of Tesla trying to improve battery management for longevity. So I am now working out just how long I need to preheat the battery to get enough regen so that I am at least making back the same amount of energy on my downhill sections. The good thing is that ambient temp does not make a huge difference in heating time needed. As long as I have enough regen that I don't need to brake (driving carefully) then regen heats the battery a little further. Not enough regen, and the battery actually cools down on downhill.

It's a fine balance, but I think I can work out a compromise that I can live with, especially as soon as you do a longer drive and are reminded of the real strengths of the S.

Yeah but it completely sucks for those of us whose drives are 20-30 minutes.
You will be very happy to know that the regen issue is a thing of the past if you use Scheduled Departure based in my brief testing!

I set my scheduled departure this past weekend to leave home at 6:30 AM (even though I actually left home at 6:00 AM). Ambient temperature was a couple of degrees below freezing point and my garage was about 10 degrees Fahrenheit above freezing.

I woke up at 5:30 AM and turned on pre-heating for the cabin and noticed that the car was still charging for the last 5% (to 90%). I didn't notice the battery heater icon lit up, so I'm assuming the battery had already been heated to the optimal temperature (for full regen)

I left home as I had planned at 6:05 AM and immediately noticed that I had full regen!!

I will test it some more this week. Prior to this I hadn't really used the Scheduled departure function and I have had very little regen since mid November when the temperature had dropped below 50 Fahrenheit.

You will be very happy to know that the regen issue is a thing of the past if you use Scheduled Departure based in my brief testing!

I set my scheduled departure this past weekend to leave home at 6:30 AM (even though I actually left home at 6:00 AM). Ambient temperature was a couple of degrees below freezing point and my garage was about 10 degrees Fahrenheit above freezing.

I woke up at 5:30 AM and turned on pre-heating for the cabin and noticed that the car was still charging for the last 5% (to 90%). I didn't notice the battery heater icon lit up, so I'm assuming the battery had already been heated to the optimal temperature (for full regen)

I left home as I had planned at 6:05 AM and immediately noticed that I had full regen!!

I will test it some more this week. Prior to this I hadn't really used the Scheduled departure function and I have had very little regen since mid November when the temperature had dropped below 50 Fahrenheit.
I'm another one who usually only does short drives, and finds the software change of reduced regen braking at < 10C ambient temps annoying. I might do several short drives during the day, but the battery hardly gets a chance to warm up (although I've found the trick to set Nav to a nearby Supercharger even if you're not going there seems to turn on the battery heater, and helps get back standard regen braking sooner)

Also, I don't have a regular commute and therefore leave home at varying hours, but always later in the morning - certainly never ~6am. Also, our electricity here is same rate 24hrs a day. So the scheduled departure which stupidly assumes reduced rates before 6 is useless to me. There should be an option to disable that hard-coded 6am charge-stop.