Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not having regen after the last software update sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm another one who usually only does short drives, and finds the software change of reduced regen braking at < 10C ambient temps annoying. I might do several short drives during the day, but the battery hardly gets a chance to warm up (although I've found the trick to set Nav to a nearby Supercharger even if you're not going there seems to turn on the battery heater, and helps get back standard regen braking sooner)

Also, I don't have a regular commute and therefore leave home at varying hours, but always later in the morning - certainly never ~6am. Also, our electricity here is same rate 24hrs a day. So the scheduled departure which stupidly assumes reduced rates before 6 is useless to me. There should be an option to disable that hard-coded 6am charge-stop.
Didn't notice the 6 AM charge stop! That probably means if I change my Scheduled Departure to 9:00 AM, there won't be much regen. Man this sucks. I will probably have to start using your trick of setting the nav to go to a supercharger. Thanks

You will be very happy to know that the regen issue is a thing of the past if you use Scheduled Departure based in my brief testing!
Not really. What about those of us who don't have consistent work schedules? Or the dozens of other scenarios.

I get that there is a workaround, and in the grand scheme of things it's not a catastrophic change, but no, it's not "a thing of the past".

I meant to add "if you have a consistent work schedule". :)
Alright, I'll give you another one - we have 2 Tesla's and 1 plug.

So this scheduled departure would only work for 1 of our cars.

Unless I: buy a 14-50 slitter or install another 14-50 plug (which likely means upgrading my whole panel from 200A to 400A), etc. Not worth the cost.

That's another scenario that would affect me. I can think of others if you'd like. Like I said, the regen thing sucks, it's not a thing of the past, but it could always be worse with Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
You will be very happy to know that the regen issue is a thing of the past if you use Scheduled Departure based in my brief testing!

I set my scheduled departure this past weekend to leave home at 6:30 AM (even though I actually left home at 6:00 AM). Ambient temperature was a couple of degrees below freezing point and my garage was about 10 degrees Fahrenheit above freezing.

I woke up at 5:30 AM and turned on pre-heating for the cabin and noticed that the car was still charging for the last 5% (to 90%). I didn't notice the battery heater icon lit up, so I'm assuming the battery had already been heated to the optimal temperature (for full regen)

I left home as I had planned at 6:05 AM and immediately noticed that I had full regen!!

I will test it some more this week. Prior to this I hadn't really used the Scheduled departure function and I have had very little regen since mid November when the temperature had dropped below 50 Fahrenheit.

Scheduled departure is useless for me because it can be only set in the car.

My schedule changes every day and I never have a set departure time.

Wish I could set a departure time on the App.

Alright, I'll give you another one - we have 2 Tesla's and 1 plug.

So this scheduled departure would only work for 1 of our cars.

Unless I: buy a 14-50 slitter or install another 14-50 plug (which likely means upgrading my whole panel from 200A to 400A), etc. Not worth the cost.

That's another scenario that would affect me. I can think of others if you'd like. Like I said, the regen thing sucks, it's not a thing of the past, but it could always be worse with Tesla.

You could add a pair of HPWCs to your existing wiring and share the same circuit across both cars. It was designed to work that way, so you can get 100% of your 50 amp breaker at either car alone or split if both are charging at once. No need to upgrade your home to higher amps, it's just a rewire in the garage.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
OK here is the result of my testing before updating my car to 2019.40.x and after. Tesla significantly reduced the available regen power when the battery is cold.

View attachment 492192

David99,

Thank you so much for this great visual. My battery coolant heater failed and was replaced just before the cooler weather hit last year. So timing-wise it appeared to be the replacement of that unit that was associated with my regen issues on cooler days.

It doesn't help that the Tesla Service center folks had zero knowledge of this update. They first told me it was a bug that would be fixed in a subsequent firmware update. Then, then that update came with no relief, they were puzzled and I kept getting the old "Let us look into it and we'll get back to you".

The issue is minor enough that I wasn't pursuing it whole hog, but recently the car developed a battery issue (one week after my MCU2 and FSD update - should I think it's related?) and four 12v batteries (and 3 visits to the SC) later I've had ample opportunity to go back and forth with them regarding this and several other nits I had with the car's systems.

I was in the middle of another back and forth with them on the regen when I came across your very clear chart which tracked almost exactly with my rougher estimates gleaned from noting my regen performance on my daily commute.

So again, Thanks for that. A picture truly is worth a thousand words.

Marc