Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not installing 240V at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
85kWh, non-perf, no twin chargers?

Exactly. I don't need them, as it would be prohibitively expensive to run 100A service out to my garage (it's detached and the current wiring only handles 40A, I believe). I'm even considering sticking with the standard 120v wall outlet for now, as I live close to a J1772 charging station and can use that for when I drain the battery excessively. My normal driving patterns don't often take me more than 100 miles in a day, which I can recover at night with a 120v plug. So, all that being said, I decided to alleviate my charging anxiety with a logical solution, rather than a monetary one. Plus, we're going to have a Supercharger here in Atlanta soon, so it'll be free to fill up eventually :)

Exactly. I don't need them, as it would be prohibitively expensive to run 100A service out to my garage (it's detached and the current wiring only handles 40A, I believe). I'm even considering sticking with the standard 120v wall outlet for now, as I live close to a J1772 charging station and can use that for when I drain the battery excessively. My normal driving patterns don't often take me more than 100 miles in a day, which I can recover at night with a 120v plug. So, all that being said, I decided to alleviate my charging anxiety with a logical solution, rather than a monetary one. Plus, we're going to have a Supercharger here in Atlanta soon, so it'll be free to fill up eventually :)

Went through exactly the same thought process (except choosing the 60KWH).

My normal driving patterns don't often take me more than 100 miles in a day, which I can recover at night with a 120v plug.

Just so you know, people who actually have the car are seeing more like 2.5 miles of range per hour of charge than the advertised 5 for a 120v plug. 100 miles will take around 40 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm surprised that nobody noticed the following news from the TM forum:

"I was also told that the nosecone is changing a bit between Sigs and
Production - there is a slight "lip" on Sig nosecones that is being
removed so the nosecone will be a smooth curve!"

Just so you know, people who actually have the car are seeing more like 2.5 miles of range per hour of charge than the advertised 5 for a 120v plug. 100 miles will take around 40 hours.

I'm aware, but I also had it checked for NEMA 14-50 capability. As long as I don't run the AC unit in the room above the garage while I charge, they can put one in. Same-day service from my local electrician, so I can pull the trigger on that if I end up feeling the need (which I know will be day 1 because I'll probably be driving this thing like crazy...)

Sounds about right.

I've charged exactly once at "high speed" - at Tesla's 70A charger at the mall. From "6 miles projected" to a completed standard charge in 3-4 hours.

All of my other charges (so far) have been on a standard 120V outlet at 12A. The highest I've seen the UI show is 3mi/hr charging. The lowest was 1mi/hr (on a sensitive GFCI).

Nigel, those are all valid points, but most stuff I'm willing to make some concessions on. Especially for a few grand in savings. Some specific points, though:

You might find other issues using the local J1772, what if it's occupied or someone unplugs you?

I thought the plug locked while charging?

Are you willing to leave your car outside in bad weather?

The charging station does have an awning, but is also quite a ways away from any trees, so the worse weather it could see is hail. If that's the case, I'll probably not be wanting to drive anyways :)

Is it convenient late at night?

Yup, it's a 5 minute walk from my house, most of which is well-lit: 1462 Pine St NW, Atlanta, GA 30309 to Electric Charging Station - Google Maps (Note, I can cut through behind the Target, so it's basically a straight walk over there)

Regarding the supercharger, how far will it be from your home?

Speculation of the Atlanta station is it will go in the service center here, and speculation of that service center is that it will be in the Lenux Square area. That's about 10 minutes from my house. Keep in mind the 100 mile distance isn't my daily commute. I often travel between 10-20 miles a day. 80-90% of my driving will be covered by a 120v plug. But even then, I should be able to go at least a week or two between full charges, so I will likely be able to get by with the Supercharger station for free, with the occasional "anxiety alleviating" charge at home :)

- - - Updated - - -

Folks I believe this is the single most important email today on the forum. It means that production is more than five hundred cars ahead - by sequence number, not actual cars - than we were just 48 hours ago. Timdorr chime in. I think we can expect an onslaught of deliveries. A HUGE Tesla moment. The gates have broken open and Elon has fish and bread for all The Apostles. I was told pretty relaible source that there are almost exactly 400 (uncancelled) R's. they may have already finished most by the end of the week. Oh baby. Plug me in I wanna drive.

As most people, including myself, have speculated, they've been holding on to a large inventory of cars at the factory in order to push out as many of the sigs as possible before moving to GP deliveries. It sounds like they're coming up to the last couple dozen sigs to be delivered, so they can't wait on the GP deliveries any longer and have to start pushing them out. Especially if they're going to hit the 2500-3000 delivered target for the quarter. Time to give the delivery staff a real good workout :)

I'm aware, but I also had it checked for NEMA 14-50 capability. As long as I don't run the AC unit in the room above the garage while I charge, they can put one in. Same-day service from my local electrician, so I can pull the trigger on that if I end up feeling the need (which I know will be day 1 because I'll probably be driving this thing like crazy...)

You'll definitely want a NEMA 14-50 if you will be driving often. Can you upgrade to 100A for the garage? Even if you dropped the charging on the Model S down to 24A or something that would be a big upgrade over 110V outlet.

Last edited:
You'll definitely want a NEMA 14-50 if you will be driving often. Can you upgrade to 100A for the garage? Even if you dropped the charging on the Model S down to 24A or something that would be a big upgrade over 110V outlet.

That would require rewiring a submerged cable, which involves backhoe rental (which I'm not even sure they can get into my backyard anyways), lots more hours of work, and more raw materials. The wiring I have supports 40A of circuit, as I actually have a NEMA 14-50 in the garage structure already. It's just located in the upstairs room and is for the AC unit in the wall. So, I can definitely pump 240v/40a current into it, I'll just have to get a second plug in the garage and switch off the AC breaker while I'm using it to be safe.

All I can say is that I spent the last 3 weeks on 120, and it SUCKED. I have a 36-mile commute and occasionally drive another 30-50 miles... The 120 was nowhere near enough. I, too, stopped at J1772's and Tesla HPC's ... and that was quite inconvenient. It's also inefficient. You'll spend more in electricity in the long run.
Just popping up to 240v 12a (you can limit the amperage in the car) will double your charge rate to the point of reasonable.
How many kW does the AC draw? You can probably run it and charge at the same time as long as you limit the car's pull. Probably not to code to have two plugs off that line, though, but you might be able to get away with it. Or charge at night with the AC off... anyway, sounds like you can make a quick change if you need to, but my experience on 120 tells me, you need to. :)

I needed 40 feet to reach our detached garage. I made the pathways from the load center in the house, dug the trench and opened the garage walls where the sub-panel and 14-50 outlet would be mounted. The materials cost from Platt Electrical Supply were just at $500 (#2 conductor is big! we will install the Tesla HPWC later) and the electrician spent 4 hours of labor installing it. I used a regular irrigation type trenching shovel so did not need a backhoe...

Wow, I wish I had your patience Sir!

(I'd be willing to put up with all but four of these inconveniences...:wink::biggrin:)

Nigel, those are all valid points, but most stuff I'm willing to make some concessions on. Especially for a few grand in savings. Some specific points, though:

(#1) I thought the plug locked while charging?

(#2) The charging station does have an awning, but is also quite a ways away from any trees, so the worse weather it could see is hail. If that's the case, I'll probably not be wanting to drive anyways :)

(#3)Yup, it's a 5 minute walk from my house, most of which is well-lit: 1462 Pine St NW, Atlanta, GA 30309 to Electric Charging Station - Google Maps (Note, I can cut through behind the Target, so it's basically a straight walk over there)

(#4) Speculation of the Atlanta station is it will go in the service center here, and speculation of that service center is that it will be in the Lenux Square area. That's about 10 minutes from my house. Keep in mind the 100 mile distance isn't my daily commute. I often travel between 10-20 miles a day. 80-90% of my driving will be covered by a 120v plug. But even then, I should be able to go at least a week or two between full charges, so I will likely be able to get by with the Supercharger station for free, with the occasional "anxiety alleviating" charge at home :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not planning on a 240v at my Boston house, either, but that's because I work 3 miles away and there's free J1772 charging in the garage there. We're planning on moving in less than 2 years, and I'll try muddling through for a while. At the worst, I can always have someone come out and install the needful conduit once the ground thaws in the spring.

No 240v outlet for me either. Similar to Robert, I live about 10 miles away from work and they have installed 4 J1772 stations along with several ev-only spots with 110v outlets. Free juice. My biggest concern will be competing for the high power spots with all the volts, leafs, and Plug-in Prii.

@Jaff and others thinking of just using 120v, I think you are so used to going somewhere else to fuel up, that you are underestimating the fantastic feeling of "it's always full in the morning", never having to go somewhere else in the pouring rain, realizing that your time is more valuable than the electrons...

@Jaff and others thinking of just using 120v, I think you are so used to going somewhere else to fuel up, that you are underestimating the fantastic feeling of "it's always full in the morning", never having to go somewhere else in the pouring rain, realizing that your time is more valuable than the electrons...

I agree. Especially since you are spending so much on an awesome car, having the ability to have it full every morning or charge it up more quickly is nice. If you are moving like Robert is then it probably doesn't make sense if it is $1000+ to install it but it probably is worth it. Even a 30A outlet would be fine.